Sony STR-DE445 "Pop"

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Erik_K, Mar 22, 2006.

1. Erik_K

Erik_K Auditioning

Mar 21, 2006
    I am new to the forum here so bear with me if I forgot to include anything in this question. I purchased a Sony STR-DE445 about a year or so ago and have had little trouble with it until recently. What happens is the surround sound will be working perfectly (5:1) and then after a while, it could be 5 minutes or it could be several days/weeks, there will be a very audible "Pop" sound and all 5 speakers will fall silent. I would equate the sound to what you might hear if you slap your forehead because you forgot something stupid [​IMG] Anyways, sometimes if I power it off for a day or so it will work again - but only for a while. On 2-channel it works fine all the time. When the surround sound is working correctly, the speaker test goes around to all 5 speakers corectly. I have done some basic troubleshooting myself like switching the speaker wires on the receiver to be sure the speakers themselves are ok and they all check out. I am looking at purchasing a new reciever unless I can find out what is going on with this one. Anyone have any ideas at all?? Like I said, I am a newbie here so if I have missed something obvious, let me know!
  2. DavidSGT

DavidSGT Stunt Coordinator

Jan 5, 2006

Sorry for your problems but it does sound like you are shorting something behind, have you checked the speaker connections for any stray fibres touching any other terminals and also on your speaker terminals as well?

If everything is fine behind, I would junk the piece and look for another AVR as I doubt the repair bills would justify...

Just my 2 cts...