Sony STR-DE1075 and DVP-NS400D

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by HomerG, Aug 6, 2002.

1. HomerG

HomerG Auditioning

I hooked up these two components via the Optical intput/output on each of them, expecting to use the dolby dts decoder on the receiver. For some reason, when I put DVDs that I know have 5.1 capability, ID4 and Phantom Menace for example, the receiver only recognizes it as ProLogic. Both pieces of equipment are new, orginally with no customized settings. Of course I changed things trying to figure out the problem, but to no avail.

I have another setup with a different DVD player, a Panasonic RV-30 I think, when I hooked them up via Optical, it immediately recognized the DVD as Dolby with 5.1 and it sounded great. a didn't have to do any setup on the DVD player, and on the Receiver (which I did do in the first paragraph) I set the DVD to use the Optical input.

I would have thought that the Sony would have "recognized" the Sony "automatically". Any ideas on what I should look for in either the DVD setup or the Receiver setup?

Also, does anyone think I should also post this issue in the Audio/Video fourm?

Thanks for your help.

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Welcome. [​IMG]
    Your digital output settings on the DVD player are incorrect for your setup. BOTH the player and receiver must be configured properly for things to work. Look in the menu for digital audio out, you may have Dolby set to PCM or downmix, it should be bitstream. While you are in there, make sure you turn DTS "ON" or we will be having a similar discussion on that. [​IMG]
    I recommend selling the 1075 and getting an ES model if at all possible. Far better DACs and processing for only a little more money (I've actually seen the 3ES for the same price as the 1075 online).

3. HomerG

HomerG Auditioning

Thanks John. I'll take a look and hopefully the fix is as simple as it sounds.

Where did you see the ES Receiver? I was able to get the 1075 for about $250.

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Hey, $250 is a good price for the 1075! I haven't seen the 3ES that low, but definitely in the average advertised price for the 1075 of ~$500. I've seen the 3ES in the $500 range at more than one place. If you can swing that, I'd still recommend it over the DE and DB models. There's a noticable difference in sound quality, IMO.

5. HomerG

HomerG Auditioning

John, I just want to thank you again for pointing me in the right direction. Went to the Audio section of the DVD setup and, although Digital Output was turned on, I missed turning on the Dolby Digital (I think, i've forgotten now) and changed the PCM to 96 from 48.

Once I did that, was there ever a difference! WOW!

thanks again.