Sony STR-DB930+Amp or new receiver?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rich Norcliffe, Apr 25, 2002.

1. Rich Norcliffe

Rich Norcliffe Auditioning

Any advice on this one would be gratefully received.

I've got an old Sony STR-DB930 matched with some Tannoy Speakers. The movie stuff seems pretty good to my ears but the music is not so great.

It seems like there are two solutions, replace the sony receiver or buy a dedicated Hi-Fi amp and use the pre outs on the Sony. Undoubtedly this would improve my music experience but would I be missing out on vastly improved surround from say the Denon 3802 or Marantz 7200.

I want to improve my music listening but is the Sony somewhat long in the tooth (6.1 or 7.1 is not an option in my room) for surround sound? My budget will only allow for either a new receiver or a 2ch amp, not both unfortunately.

Thanks in advance for any opinions.

Richard

2. Charles Gurganus

Charles Gurganus Supporting Actor

Rich, get the best of both by getting good 5 channel amp AND the Sony P9000es analog preamp. It is my feeling that even buying another receiver will not dramatically improve your 2 channel sound as much as getting better power AND adding the analog bypass preamp. The P9000es would go between your amps and receiver and would act as a switch box for Home theater and music. Buy a good used amp in the $400-$500 range (HK PA5800 for example) and add the P9000es for $475 delivered from oade.com. The P9000es is really a 5.1 analog bypass intended for SACD and DVD-A but works great as a 2 channel bypass. It has 2 inputs and you would just run the preouts from the reciever to the HT bypass input and the from the output on the amps. Then you will have 2 5.1 inputs to use as needed for 2 channel or 5.1 channel sources.

If that sounds like too much trouble, I've heard good things about the Denon's pure direct mode for music.

The DB930 doesn't have a set of 5.1 bypass inputs, does it?

3. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Rich,

I'm an owner of the Sony DB930, and am using it for my HT needs at the moment. I did pick up a HK PA5800 (can be had for about $300-$350 if you look around) to power my center/left/right speakers, and I think it was worth it. What you might do is pick up some form of amp (2 or 5 channel model) and then later on, pick up a pre/pro unit to do the bulk of the work when you feel you've totally outgrown the DB930.

Receivers are becoming obsolete so fast (if you are a processing feature hound), but amps rarely go out of style in the long run.

I hope to be moving to a pre/pro very soon, and will be relegating the DB930 for bedroom duty. I'll use my HK to power 5 channels once that happens.

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Honestly, a friend has a 940, and I didn't feel it had the best sound reproduction. I had a DE-815 at the time, and I felt that the overall sound was basically identical. Amplification seemed OK, but one can never really have too much power. My recommendation would be to get another receiver, though I have not heard a 930 or 940 with external amplification, which could make a big difference.

5. Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel Screenwriter

I agree with Patrick. Get yourself a solid 5-channel amp and upgrade later to a decent pre/pro. I'm also using the 930 and that's what I'm planning to do later on. I really don't care about 6.1 or 7.1 right now.

6. Rich Norcliffe

Rich Norcliffe Auditioning

If only I had a serious budget, I think I'm leaning towards the hi-fi amp solution just to solve the problem of decent music reproduction. It seems that like computers, as soon as you buy a decent receiver it goes out of date whereas a decent hi-fi amp doesn't.