Sony STR DB840 - Opinions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Larry Hoffman, Jul 24, 2001.

1. Larry Hoffman

Larry Hoffman Stunt Coordinator

I would appreciate your opinions on this reciever. A friend and I are each considering buying one. He has a relative in the business who recommends this model over others in it's price range. I don't know what he is going to charge yet, but I'm sure it will be a very competitive price.
    The specs do look very good.
    Thanks for any advise you can offer.
    Larry.

2. Matt DeVillier

Matt DeVillier Supporting Actor

I've been using mine for almost a year now, and have no complaints. Its bass management is better than on receivers costing hundreds more. If you have any specific questions feel free to ask
    ------------------
    My DVD collection

3. tom_furman

tom_furman Stunt Coordinator

love mine....
    excellent controller too!

4. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

Count another yes vote here.
    With a couple of minor changes, the DB840 is pretty close to my DB830. It's been a very enjoyable receiver.
    ------------------

5. Kolya

Kolya Stunt Coordinator

I've had the DB940 for about 8 months now, and I'm very pleased with it. I'm driving M&K LCR750s in the front, and V-75's in the rear. I do wish it put out more power (the 4 Ohm 750's sound a bit harsh at ref volume), but I think it'll work just fine as a pre/pro.
    HTH
    Kolya

6. Larry Hoffman

Larry Hoffman Stunt Coordinator

I would like to thank you all for your help. One question. Chuck, you mentioned changes. What changes are you referring to?
    Larry

7. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

Larry: The 840 had a couple of evolutionary changes from the 830. The biggest and most useful (IMO) is that you can chose the crossover point when setting your speakers to "small". This lets you blend your speakers to your subwoofer much better than a one-size-fits-all frequency that my 830 has. (I really wish my 830 had this feature!)
    Another minimal change is that the 840 got a slightly different remote control. For me, no big deal.
    As I sit here in the early morning hours, nothing else comes to mind. Hope this helps...
    ------------------

8. TimG

TimG Second Unit

I also have an 830, and have never had problems with it. I am in the process of upgrading and will add some monoblocks to it in the future. I believe the 840 also added an extra s-video input over the 830.
    Tim

9. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    For roughly the same price or a little more, you can get a 333ES and get better sound quality roughly the same amplifier section with better DSP. The current ES line has been, or will soon be, discontinued and replaced with new models, so you should be able to find them or haggle for an excellent price.
    I've listened to my friend's 940 quite extensively. He and I have the same speakers, so the comparison is similar. I can say that there is no difference in sound quality between the STR-DE475 that I have in my bedroom, and his 940. Another friend has an older DA-50ES and the sound is significantly better.
    ------------------
    All progress is based upon a universal, inate desire on the part of every organism, to live beyond it's income.
    ITRCA ** Honda/Acura Club ** Speedring (sorry, car guy)
    [Edited last by John Garcia on July 30, 2001 at 12:01 PM]