What's new

Sony STR-DB830, need help!! (1 Viewer)

I was just wondering if anyone still uses this receiver and can give some tips on how to best set it up. I have my speakers set up to small and "yes" for sub woofer. I can see the LFE bar moving but can't feel the difference from regular base. Can I set the crossover for this receiver or not? If not, what's the set crossover in it? For what i've heard it's probably set at 80 but want to make sure.
Any info on this receiver will be greatly appreciated.

TimG

Second Unit
If I remember correctly it is set at 80. I know it is a set crossover, not sure if it is 80 or 100. I assume you are talking about the "feeling" the bass on a 5.1 source? Preout to your sub ok?

TimG

IraSWeiss

Stunt Coordinator
Luis, sorry I won't be able to be of more help, but as I have a DefTech sub/sat system I set subwoofer to "Off" and run full range signal to the subwoofer. I can set the crossover via the control on the subwoofer and then run speaker wires to the two mail satellites. The two front speakers are set to "large" and the center and surrounds are set to "small". It sounds great but unless you can do the same with your system it will not answer your problem.

Thanks guys,
Tim, You're correct I'm talking about the bass on 5.1. Maybe the .1 part of it it's what you feel not neccessarily what you hear. I hear the same amount of bass but I do feel it in my chest, does that makes sence?
IraSWeiss, I can do that my my set up, I'll try that as well to hear the difference.
I just got my copy of Avia in the mail today and are ready with a sound meter. I've never used any of these tools so wish me luck ;)
I feel like a kid on a candy store, I had no idea I could try so many different things with my system. It's been a year and a half since I hooked up my small HT and haven't tried to use any of the features on my receiver........It's on now!!! I think I'm hooked!!!!
Thanks again for the help,
Luis

Sebastien David

Second Unit
I used to have a 830, great little receiver, sold it to a close friend...
What can I help you with my friend? You say you can't hear the difference between LFE and regular bass? Well that's because there is none! Bass recorded in the two front channels and then transferred to your sub through a crossover (like in your setup) will sound exactly the same as the bass found in the LFE channel!

I tried doing what IraSWeiss suggests, but it gave me the exact same results in terms of the volume of bass, as I ended up adjusting the sub's xover to approximately the same setting as the receiver's xover. However, when I used my receiver's crossover to reroute the bass to my sub, it got cleaner. I'm guessing it's better to separate the frequencies in the digital realm rather than with an analog crossover...

Enjoy the blue multichannel light, I certainly miss it!

-Seb

Thanks Sébastien,
How did you have yours set? Small for all speakers? and if so, how should I set up the sub on the 830? I really like this receiver and are not thinking of upgrading for a little while. What did you upgrade to? Well, time to go back to reading.....so much to learn :)
You say you can't hear the difference between LFE and regular bass? Well that's because there is none! Bass recorded in the two front channels and then transferred to your sub through a crossover (like in your setup) will sound exactly the same as the bass found in the LFE channel
Sorry but I don't get it :frowning: why have a sub at all??

tom j r

Agent
Luis,
I think what Sebastien is saying is there is no difference in the bass signal being processed by the receiver. Unless you have some extremely good full-range speakers and/or a weak sub you should "hear" a difference because the sub should be more efficient at processing the "same" bass signal than your mains.
I also have the 830 and have been very happy with it. You might get into the setup menu to make sure that subwoofer is set to "yes". Also, if you are using the subwoofer out on the back of the receiver, make sure that the crossover on the sub itself is set as high as it will go. Let the receiver split the signal.
Hope this helps!

Tom

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks