What's new

Sony STR-DA5ES (1 Viewer)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Martin, I am pretty sure that the 'DA3ES does not offer discrete 6.1 decoding (DTS-ES). Crutchfield states that the 'DA5ES does discrete 6.1 DTS-ES decoding, but makes no mention of it with the 'DA3ES. Crutchfield usually is correct. I always thought the 'DA3ES was not a true 6.1 receiver.

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
The reviewer in this months Home Theater mag said the DA3ES did not offer PLII or any DTS 6 channel processing other than basic ES. I would assume this refers to a Matrixed ES.

MartinV

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks, guys. Looks like my only option is the Sony DA5ES for Dolby Digital-EX and DTS-EX. Just to think, I was about to pull the trigger on the DA3ES thinking that it did both EX formats. You guys saved me at least $550 bucks!

MartinV

Stunt Coordinator
I posted this question in another thread, but I wanted to find something out before I purchased the Sony DA5ES...

Does the one set of bananna plugs for the back surround mean that I can only have one speaker. Or can I plug two speakers into the one set (2 black / 2 red connectors) since it's essentially the same matrixed info being sent to one? Will I risk frying the receiver?

Thanks.

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
Yes you can. Make sure they are 8 or 16 ohm speakers and not 4 ohm. Also you can wire them in series(best bet). See the newbie guide on wiring speakers under my article at the top in the pull down menu. It's a good practice to keep all your ohms at 8 for many reasons. 16 is ok for most receivers. 4 ohms can lead to overheating at high power settings for 20 minutes or more. Also you can use the 4/8 ohm switch in the rear of some rcvrs(not the best plan).:D
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...155#post573155

MartinV

Stunt Coordinator
Earl,

Thanks for the link to the speaker connection thread. I still am wondering if it's a good idea. All my speakers are 8 ohms. So if I buy the Sony 5DAES which only has one back speaker connector set on the receiver (1 black/1 red) and I hook 2 speakers into this I would have...

center - 8
front left - 8
front right - 8
left surround - 8
right surround - 8
subwoofer - 8
back surround - 16 (with 2 speakers)

won't this mess up my system? Maybe I should wait until Sony has 2 back surround speaker connectors.

Need some more advice. Thanks

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Martin, I don't portend to be a celebrated expert in this subject (in real life or on TV ;)), but I would not feel comfortable connecting two speakers to the one set of surround center binding posts on the 'DA5ES, or on any receiver for that matter. With all the other speakers connected, I'm not sure that would be a good idea.

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
If you piggy back you will have 4 ohms. Series 16 ohms. If you do a series you would just adjust the volume of that channel. The same with a parallel 4 ohm.
The 3802 for $699 at 6th Ave is your best bet if you must have 7 speakers. I think it is a waste, but with a large room it might be a nice feature. I have the 3802 and love it, but the bass mgt of the 5es is awesome. You really don't need 7 speakers in most situations.
PS/ Keith gives good advice.:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :D

Ted Ross

Second Unit
Does this receiver have 192kHz/24-bit DACs ? Crutchfield says it does on one page and on the other page is says it doesnt. I also noticed that they have scratch & dents da5es for $849

Greg_L_C

Stunt Coordinator
I've also looked into getting the DA5ES but am confused about the multi room features. The 2nd room is preout only right? The third room uses the 3 rear surround amps?
3 different sources to 3 different rooms?

Greg

SvenS

Second Unit
Does this receiver have 192kHz/24-bit DACs ? Crutchfield says it does on one page and on the other page is says it doesnt. I also noticed that they have scratch & dents da5es for $849
Don't bother with damaged DA5ES's! Just call J & R and tell them Oade Bros is selling the receiver for $800 delivered and they'll match it! I did this two months ago and got the $800 delivered price. Plus J & R is VERY reputable/respected retailer to boot!

Ted Ross

Second Unit
Apparently J&R is out of them-so is Oade Bros. I found a local authorized ES dealer selling them for $949-course then I would have to pay tax as well.

Juan_R

Supporting Actor
I got my 5ES from reliableaudiovideo.com for $790 shipped. I had no problems what so ever.

Brett Miles

Stunt Coordinator
Any owners reading this thread ever notice that if you use the remote for setting channel levels there is a typo in the menu? If you select "subwoofer" and go into the +/- menu it says "SUBFOOFER" :D . How could they miss this? Obviously this doesn't do anything, but little things tend to stick out and bother my sense of order ;) .

BrianDD

Agent
Martin, don't be afraid to connect two speakers to the single surround back terminal. Just wire them together in series. This will give you a 16 ohm load. The power will be divided equaly to both speakers and will do no harm to the amp. I am doing this with my 5ES without any trouble.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks