What's new

Sony STR-DA5ES (1 Viewer)

BrianDD

Agent
I thought I would pass on a little info about this reciever to you all. I was informed today by Oade Bros. that they do not have any of these in stock and will not be getting any more as it has been discontinued. If that is true I guess we will be seeing new models soon. I ended up ordering one from Onecall who knew nothing about this. Interesting.

Angelo_Petralba

Second Unit
Real Name
Angelo
Very Interesting indeed
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Seth_L

Screenwriter
I thought I would pass on a little info about this reciever to you all. I was informed today by Oade Bros. that they do not have any of these in stock and will not be getting any more as it has been discontinued. If that is true I guess we will be seeing new models soon. I ended up ordering one from Onecall who knew nothing about this. Interesting.
I'd be a little skeptical myself. Sony almost always announces a replacement, then takes its sweet time to roll it out. Since we haven't had an announcement (that I know of) It seems odd they're discontinuing something which has no replacement.

Stereodude

Greg Haynes

Supporting Actor
Even though I'll believe it when I see it, I do know that Oade Bros. is usually a very reliable source. So I guess there could be a chance especially with the low prices that Oade's has been selling the DA5ES. They could be just clearing their stock.

Juan_R

Supporting Actor
I e-mailed Oade Bros. about getting a 5ES from them and they told me that it was backordered. I still purchased a 5ES but not from them.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
The timing is about right for a replacement. Past history has shown that Sony ES receivers stay on the range for about a year or so, ending around late summer/early fall. I bought a Sony STR-V444ES when it came out in September 2000. By spring 2001, Sony had dropped the retail prices of the 'V333ES, 'V444ES, and 'V555ES. The 'DA3ES and 'DA5ES came out last October/November, and Sony dropped the retail prices of the 'DA3ES and 'DA5ES a couple of months ago. I would expect new ES receivers to show up in the next few months. Still, it is interesting that Sony has not issued a press release for true replacements. Sony has been unusually quiet this year. We still don't know if new SACD players are coming. All Sony has announced thus far are two ES SACD/receiver units that will come out in the fall.

etsoi

Grip
I am going to buy this receiver here in Vancouver and I taked with the salesman here at my local store. He told me that his sources told him that there is a new model coming out which should be in between the 5ES and the 3ES! So do you guys think it is a good time to buy it or should I wait few more months? He is selling it to me at CAD 1699 which is around US 1100. Any idea whether I should get it online or get it at my local store? Thank you guys!

Juan_R

Supporting Actor
I don't know about Canadian currency but here in the States you can get the 5ES from several places for under $800.00 US dollars shipped.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
etsoi said:
He is selling it to me at CAD 1699 which is around US 1100.
Is this for the 'DA3ES or 'DA5ES? Either way, you can get a better price from authorized mail-order dealers in the US. The problem is that you would likely have to ship the receiver to Sony in the US for repairs under the warranty. From what I have read, Sony Canada will not cover a component bought in the US.

etsoi

Grip
But I read from UK's hifi mags., The STR-VA555ES is just kind of starting to show up (Which is the same as the STRDA5ES). Do you think I should get the STRDA5ES now or wait? I am using an old STR945 and the sound of the 5ES is way way better than my old one! Do you guys have any info of the new ESs and when they will be out? I am thinking of getting The 5ES from Crazy Eddie or Etronics, are they good online store? Thank you for your help!

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
etsoi, I have read up on the 'VA555ES in British magazines lately as well. I don't know if that necessarily means that this receiver is just starting to hit the shelves in the UK. Magazines are at times slow to review components, though I think the US magazines tend to be farther behind than their UK counterparts. Anyway, it is possible that Sony in the US and UK have different schedules for the release and phasing out of comparable models.

Again, I don't know what Sony's plans are. They have not announced any plans regarding new receivers outside of the aforementioned SACD-A/V receivers. As I have said, the late summer or early fall is when Sony typically releases new models, so let's see what Sony does in the next two or three months.

As for Sony dealers, Etronics and Crazy Eddie are not authorized. Etronics does have a good reputation from everything I have read here, however. Crazy Eddie, on the other hand, has had a bad reputation for years. I would never buy from them.

etsoi

Grip
Thank you for your help! There are not many online stores who will ship outside US. That's the problem. I have upgraded everything like speakers, DVD player and other stuff. SO I think it is time to upgrade my receiver. And I am looking for one which is around 1000US, and the STR-DA5ES seem to fit the bill. And it already has the latest stuffs and I know Sony won't go for the THX thingy! So what else can they update? And I think the 5ES already has everything I want, so do you guys think that I should just get it or wait 2 to 3 months? Hmm, if I choose to wait, maybe I can even save up more money and buy a better receiver. But the worst componet in my system is my receiver right now.

Warren_Sc

Second Unit
When the DA5ES came out its MSRP was $1599. Last March or April it dropped to $1199. I got it for $800.

If a replacement comes out it will probably reset the MSRP again. I wonder what they'd add to a replacement?
- More power?
- 7th channel?
- Composite to S-Video Conversion?
- Even more digital inputs?

I really enjoy my DA5ES, especially for the price.

Juan_R

Supporting Actor
As for Sony dealers, Etronics and Crazy Eddie are not authorized.
Sony will honor the warranty even if you purchase them from unauthorize dealers. Sony is not like Denon, Onkyo, Marantz, Pio Elite and many others that make you purchase from authorize dealers. Keep the receipt and you will be fine.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Juan, I would be careful buying from an unauthorized dealer. It is true that some companies or more lax than others, but better safe than sorry. I try to buy from an authorized dealer unless I have no other option.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Michael, thanks for the info. Pretty scary stuff. I assume this dealer discounts if you call. They still show the original retail prices for the 'DA3ES and 'DA5ES.

Ted Ross

Second Unit
I am very interested in the da5es. The da3es amps performed quite well in this months hometheater mag's tests. I bought the magazine because I was considering the marantz 8200, which is also reviewed, but I came away quite impressed with the da3es review(i assume the da5es would perform even better)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks