Sony STR-DA5ES for $800 - Should I pull the trigger?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Glenn, Mar 22, 2002.

1. David Glenn

David Glenn Second Unit

STR-DA5ES owners, tell me your level of satisfaction with this receiver. Motivate me more to purchase it this afternoon. [​IMG]

2. Joe Tilley

Joe Tilley Supporting Actor

David, I have the 5ES and must say for that price youd be crazy not to.Ive had mine for about 2 months and I love this thing.If you like to play around with your gear (no pun intended)the is one awsom reciever,I dont know of any other recievers in this price range that even comes close to the sony.[​IMG]

3. David Glenn

David Glenn Second Unit

Thanks for your response Joe. After a bit of research, I did purchase the DA5ES today. [​IMG]
    I purchased it at J&R downtown NYC. They had it marked down from the previous sale price of $999 to $849 and the salesperson let me have it for an even $800. With tax it came to $866.
    Only one problem,.... telling my wife. [​IMG]

4. Michael_T

Michael_T Second Unit

5. Phil Tomaskovic

Phil Tomaskovic Supporting Actor

Oade Bros just quoted me $750 in email. I didn't give them anyone else's price. Just asked "what is the current price"?

6. Earl Simpson

Earl Simpson Supporting Actor

YES///BUY//buy///buy
    PS// Sony site has info. WOW!!!!
    3ES INFO
    There's a world of digital entertainment waiting for you to enjoy -- Sony's STR-DA3ES Audio/Video Receiver can help take you there. Featuring Dolby Digital™ EX 6.1 Channel Decoding, a 32-bit decoder that achieves a 16-fold improvement in processing precision, and dts® ES decoding which delivers discrete Surround-Back-Left and Surround Back-Right channels to listeners with the equipment to reproduce it, this receiver takes digital entertainment to the next level. Additional features include 32-bit x3 DSP Decoding, Digital Cinema Sound™, and Digital Concert Hall Modes. These features and more come together to create the Elevated Standard receiver that delivers the high impact audio and video you desire.
    5es INFO
    Sony’s STR-DA5ES Audio/Video Receiver embodies the digital expertise of Sony ES. Providing a new age of surround sound performance, this receiver features Dolby Digital™ EX 6.1 Channel Decoding, a 32-bit decoder that achieves a 16-fold improvement in processing precision, and dts® ES decoding providing discrete Surround-Back-Left and Surround Back-Right channels to listeners with the equipment to reproduce it. In addition, the STR-DA5ES incorporates four times the computing speed of some corporate mainframes, and features 32-bit x3 Digital Signal Processing at 60 million instructions per second. Witness our Digital Cinema Sound™ and Concert Hall Acoustics produce exquisite digital audio that could only be Sony ES.
    http://www.sonystyle.com/electronics...d=30325&type=p

7. David Glenn

David Glenn Second Unit

8. Michael_T

Michael_T Second Unit

The blue will only come on when you are decoding either DTS, DD, DTS-ES or DD-EX with the internal DACs. If you don't want the blue light to come on don't use the Sony to decode those bitstreams. [​IMG]
    Seriously, though, if your DVD Player has internal decoding of either of those formats, sending the decoded signal from your player to the analog inputs on your DA5ES will bypass the internal decoding. Other than that I don't think you can shut off the blue light.

9. Michael D. Bunting

Michael D. Bunting Screenwriter

Michael
    Just tell her that:
    You had it previously set the receiver to not show the blue light...but after tweaking it some more recently, you decided that you preferred it to display the blue light. [​IMG]
    I just recently bought the Denon 3802 for $899 out the door (not the best deal - I know) - but I almost spent $1000 - $1100 on the DA5ES .....I probably would have gone with the DA5ES if I could have gotten it locally for under 1k - you got a good deal!

10. Joe Tilley

If I was you just buy the wife a new car or something and you wont hear a word about the reciver (thats what I had to do) but I also spent 4700.00 on my system in one month so I had some real ass kissin to do...[​IMG]
    Well all keep our fingers crossed I think I can speak for most of us that when the boss tells you no ya just gotta kiss a little ass and swollow some of your pride to get what you wont.:b

11. DanielKim

DanielKim Stunt Coordinator

Are any of you guys running an outboard amp with your 5ES? I'm gonna pick one up real soon and am wondering if you guys were running one as I plan to purchase a Parasound HCA-855. I know the 5ES has 110 wattsx6 and the Parasound has 85x5. Would it be better for me to run the Parasound in lieu of the Sony's amps?

Luckily for me I have nobody that really cares where my funds go hehe. I do have a girlfriend, but it's not her money hehe.

Dan

12. Joe Tilley

Daniel,I dont know anthying about the parasound amp so I dont really know what to say there but I have the 5ES and by its self it is pretty impressive,I would say if anything buy yourself another amp to power a pair of rears insted of just one that way down the road your already 7.1,that is if you have the room for it.

13. David Glenn

David Glenn Second Unit

Damn, only 3 days and I found a defect on my new DA5ES.
    Well, I'm pretty sure I got a defective DVD/LD Coax Digital Input. I get no audio with my new digital coax cable. Optical inputs are working fine. I tested my digital coax cable on the CD/SACD Digital Coax input and ruled out a bad coax cable.
    Off to J&R to see if they will swap it out. Otherwise I'll have to test Sony's warranty service.
    What a hassel, it figures I get a bad one.[​IMG]

14. Earl Simpson

Do you need to program that input?

15. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

David, after only three days, you can absolutely exchange the 'DA5ES for a new one. J&R has a 30-day return policy for exchanges or refunds. There is no reason that you will have to exercise the warranty.

16. Michael_T

Michael_T Second Unit

17. David Glenn

David Glenn Second Unit

I was never one for reading manuals. I love to dive right in and it almost cost me a return for no reason.

You guys were right, you can choose audio sources via the menus of the "Input" & "Input Split" buttons on the front panel.

Thanks for saving me a load of aggrevation.

18. Earl Simpson

I learned the hard way! So I was glad to share.

PS///Break///6th ave servers are down and being replaced as we speak. You will have to call the toll free number for help. 1-866-666-6ave ext 511 or 513. Tell them EARLTHEPEARL sent you.

PS/PS// Steve joined the USAF and has 25 days left at 6th ave.