Sony STR-DA50ES receiver blows another fuse

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael Knieriemen, Aug 15, 2001.

1. Michael Knieriemen

May 28, 2000
    My Sony STR-DA50ES receiver blew another internal fuse this morning while I was powering it up. This will be the fourth time I'll take this ES receiver into Sony to get it fixed under warranty (five year warranty for ES products). The fuses cannot be replaced without opening up the case.
    I double and triple checked all my speaker connections, plugged the receiver into different wall outlets, switched surge protectors...nothing seems to keep me from blowing one of the internal fuses. The wiring in my house is less than five years old as it's a new house.
    I can only guess that it's a component inside that causing the fuse to blow on power up. After getting it fixed the first couple of times, it would work just fine for 6-12 months and then "bam!", the fuse would blow.
    I'm getting kind of tired unplugging and plugging in all my wires and carting this 65 lbs. beast to the Sony Service Center.
    I was wondering if anyone else has had similar problems in the past? Any advice on what might be the problem?
    Thanks in advance for the help.
  2. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Dec 16, 1998
    I blew a fuse in my 50ES in the first year of ownership. However, since being repaired under warranty, the problem has not occurred again in the past two years. Good luck.
    My DVD Collection
    AFI 100 Films to watch: 40 -> 7