What's new

Sony STR-DA4ES (1 Viewer)

Sebastien David

Second Unit
I just had to post this.
I have a Denon 3801, so I'm used to relatively high-quality receivers.
I have rarely been this excited about a new product, even as a salesperson.
We don't carry the 4ES, but one of my friends at the store special ordered it. Oh. my. God.

Sony really hasn't overlooked ANYTHING of importance in this product. I haven't had the chance to listen to the piece with good speakers, but simply judging by the apparent quality and weight of the unit (slightly heavier than the aforementioned 3801), as well as by the size of the power supply, it shouldn't disappoint in this area.

What I'm the most impressed with, however, is the thought that went into every little detail of the piece. I mean, the remote is awesome, you get a 3D view of the room so as to get a visual representations of what your settings mean (i.e. high, low, side, behind settings for surround, etc.), the remote has manufacturers' codes pre-entered so you just have to scrool through the list of manufacturers to select what DVD it will operate, I mean this really is a piece of work. Must be seen to be believed, I encourage ANYONE who has the chance to check it out, I would get it over a 3802 in a heartbeat after what I've seen.

My only gripe with the unit so far: no reference level set at 0. 0 is simply maximum level, therefore reference level, depending on calibration, might be something like -20. The volume also does not appear during regular play, only if you turn it up/down.

Mark Austin

Supporting Actor
I just helped a friend set up his system with the DA-4, and I would have to echo your sentiments. It's an awesome piece, factor in the relatively inexpensive price, and it's the new standard bearer in its class.

There was a lot of debate in an earlier thread about the quality of the DA4ES vs the older DA5ES. The thread was created when the DA4ES was still relatively new and just started shipping.

I was recently thumbing through the British magazine "What-HiFi?" (can't remember if was September or October issue) and the reviewer awarded the VA333ES (same as DA4ES) four stars, whereas the VA555ES (same as DA5ES) was previously awarded five stars. The reviewer felt that by cramming 7 channels of amplification into the same space that previously held 6 channels (VA555ES), Sony compromised the quality of the VA333ES.

Would anyone agree or disagree with the reviewer's assessment?

Greg Haynes

Supporting Actor
I would get it over a 3802 in a heartbeat after what I've seen
So in your opinion by only seeing it, you would decide to purchase it over a 3802 without really listening to it. I know that your excited by this unit and I also know that it will sell very well this year, but don't already discount the 3802 without trying to the two out against each other. I'm sure the two will come close together and ultimately it will come down to what features you like more. See if you can do a side by side comparasion between the 3802 and 4ES since you mentioned that you work at HiFi store. Let us then know how you feel about the two.

I don't want anyone to feel that I'm putting down Sony, I just don't want the 3802 to be discounted so quickly without comparing the two.

Mark R. Ososkie

Stunt Coordinator
I auditioned both receivers at a local hi-fi shop and picked the DA4ES over the 3802 because i thought the 3802 sounded kinda dull. I'm no audiophile but i know what i like my music to sound like.

The remote and ease of use also factored in, not to mention dts es, something the 3802 doesnt have.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
the remote has manufacturers' codes pre-entered so you just have to scrool through the list of manufacturers to select what DVD it will operate
My old Sony 815 had this feature (via OSD, not on the remote) over 7 years ago. Not really a big deal. It worked very well also.

As for sound quality, I've spent some time with the 3ES, and I think it is a solid performer in terms of power and sound quality.

Sebastien David

Second Unit
Greg,

Valid point. In my judgement, I factored in the fact that, upon close inspection, the overall quality of both units seemed similar, as well as the fact that, for home theater use, I have a hard time hearing differences between comparable receivers. As I watch a heck of a lot more movies than I listen to music... it comes down to features and practicality, areas in which the Sony beats the Denon easily.

I am not discounting the Denon though, I own it and will most likely not upgrade (unless I can sell the Denon for almost as much as what I can get the Sony for), as the Denon satisfies me plenty.

Besides, even if the Sony was lagging behind slightly in sound quality, it will make up for it with the numerous additional adjustments it offers. Your system will thus be better calibrated (for example, you can set the crossover exactly how you want it) and sound better.

Fear not, however, my friend is coming over very soon today, and we will have a very thorough head-to-head comparison between my receiver and his, using the exact same system. The reason I haven't been able to do it at the store is simply because, as I stated before, we won't carry the Sony ES line this year.

-Seb

Sebastien David

Second Unit
I just had to add this:

for those who are considering the STR-DA4ES, be aware of one main problem with it: the remote is not a learning one. yes, the unit has 3D setup menus, but no learning remote. what a pity.

it wouldn't change anything for me, as I'm an adept of the multiple remote solution, however for those (and they are numerous) that wish to have their receiver remote operate all their other equipment, this might be a problem for some functions that may not be supplied with the codes for the different manufacturers.

-Seb

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks