Sony STR-DA4ES

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Louis D, Jan 3, 2003.

1. Louis D

Louis D Agent

Hey all, long time no speak. What does anyone think of this receiver, Sony STR-DA4ES. I am picking up a Marantz amp, as a seperate, but need a good reciever. Any ideas?

2. HaryR

HaryR Extra

Louis,

This forum is highly pro-denon / Harman, but I can tell you that all the ones who bought this piece consider it a fantastic receiver with plenty of features and power.

I have one myself that I bought from sammans who is an authorized dealer from NY at $615 shipped (ordered by phone).

If you want to have an opinion, go to a close Tweeter store and ask for a demo vs a Denon 3803 or Pioneer Elite 45TX, making sure they are all properly tweaked (Tweeter sales people will try to sell you the Denon for sure).

You can also search this forum with the keyword "4ES".

Good luck,

Hary

3. Louis D

Louis D Agent

[​IMG] I have the Denon 3803 and I am actually not very satisfied with it. I know the forum is pro-Denon, that is why I originally bought it. Any other suggestions.

4. Brad Newton

Brad Newton Second Unit

I am considering the Sony 4ES, Denon 3803 & Pioneer 45. THere is a lot of feedback regarding the Denon & the Pioneer, not much on the Sony. I don't know if Denon/Pioneer out sell it or what....... I have listened to the Denon and the Pioneer & I like the Pioneer. It just sounded better, like it was cleaner, sharper. I also like the appearance better. I tried both with Klipsch speakers.

5. Belgarath

Belgarath Agent

I can highly recommend the Sony STR-VA555ES.
    Bought it 3 months ago, I found it a huge improvement over the Denon 3802 I owned before it.

Belgarath

6. stas

stas Extra

I just brought one home today from a local deler and am comparing it to a 2-year old Rotel receiver. Granted Rotel is a different league. I think feature-wise it is a great receiver. It seems to do very well on surround effects and has quite a bit more punch than the Rotel. However, for 2-channel music, the Rotel beats it hands down. Also, Rotel's sound in surround is more defined and it just sounds more natural. Since 2-channel performance is key to me, I am returning the Sony. I still think for movies, it is a great receiver.

7. terence

terence Supporting Actor

Hi Lewis,
    I had a chance to demo the AVR-3802 against the STR-DA4ES at a local electronics retailer. The Denon sounded better doing the 1st demo, but when i check the settings on the Sony they were way off. Since i own Sony receiver i was familar with the settings, so i set the Sony's settings identical to the settings on the Denon. The sound improved instantly after a series of swicthing back and forth, the sales manager said the sony sounded better and he really like the crisp dialog that it produced in the center channel compared to the Denon.
    He also said that dialog on the Denon sounded muffled, he could not hear the dialog as well as he could on the Sony, and he was very impressed with the 4ES's performance with music and movies. I found the Denon sounded a little to warm for my taste, the 4ES sound was a little foward but not overly bright. In the end i bought the Sony not because it sounded great, but for the flexibilty the 4ES had was just what i was looking for. In short i love this receiver!
    Also the 4ES owners are far few and between at this site if there are alot 4ES owners they are shy. I remember asking a month a so ago "How are the 4ES owners like there receiver?" no responce. If you are not happy with the 3803 you don't have anything to lose if you audition the 4ES for yourself and form your own opinon. After all in the end it will come down to that and your ears!
    I don't think you will be disapointed IMO.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Evan H

Evan H Stunt Coordinator

Another happy 4es owner over here. I upgraded from a Yamaha RX-V595 a month or so ago, and have never looked back. The features of the Sony and the ease of setup both amazed me. I didn't audition any other pieces of equipment, just went off the recommendations of the members in here and the sales guy in the store.

9. Hal_J

Hal_J Agent

evan - did you consider the yamaha rx-v1300? i spent some time with a guy in a local shop and he went on and on about how the v1300 kicked the 4es's butt in terms of performance and build quality. (i didnt listen...)

anyone have any comments about build quality?

could someone post contact info for sammans?

10. MaxMenon

MaxMenon Stunt Coordinator

I have the Denon AVR-2802 ... and was considering the Sony 2ES ... primarily because it does Dolby EX ... at the last moment, I found out that the Denon does Dolby EX as well! .. its just not advertised as doing so.

When folks review these receivers ... its worth adding details about the system they were reviewed with ... for instance ... what speakers ? ... what kind of media room (dead or live) ?

I used to own the TA-E9000ES preamp ... and found it bright and forward sounding. The Denon has a warm sound ... which in my case translates to less hearing fatigue. (I send main preouts from the Denon to a dedicated power amp).

Please try not to judge the sound of a unit by listening to a 2-minute musical passage ... else we would all be using Bose speakers at home :)

11. Evan H

Evan H Stunt Coordinator

Hal,
    I did not listen to the yammy 1300. I never even considered it. My dealer in North Jersey is a big sony ES fan, so that helped sway my opinion especially when combined with all the press the 4es was/is getting in this forum. I actually didn't audition the piece at all, just compared the specs of the 2es to the 4es, and decided that since i could afford the price difference, it made the more sense to "future proof" myself with the 4... more features and more powerful amps.
    The system the 4es is connected to in my house is a bit of a frankenstein. Paradigm Reference up front, el-cheapo junk in the back/sides, and a B&W ASW1000 up front. Within the next year, i'll be fixing that hole in my system [​IMG]

12. Josh Wolfman

Josh Wolfman Stunt Coordinator

I just received my 4es this week. I have not actually spent much time listening to just music on it but my kid is cinstantly asking for Toy Story, Lion King and Monster inc. It sounds great in surround! Nice dialogue, excellent seperation. Don't forget the 5 YEAR WARRANTY! So far I am very happy with this unit- you can't go wrong for approx. shipped. Good luck.

13. Alex Dydula

Alex Dydula Stunt Coordinator

Hi!

I have a SONY DA4ES and its AWESOME!!

Looks great, performs very well....and the price is great too!! ($640).

Good Luck
    Alex

14. NickSP

NickSP Supporting Actor

Tried a whole bunch of receivers as a prepro and also had Outlaw and Rotel in the mix and I went with the 4ES. I though this was the most underrated receiver out there. Does a magnificient job in both music and HT and for $620 deliverd from an authorized dealer like Sammans, it should be a no-brainer.[​IMG] [​IMG]

15. DarrylM

DarrylM Stunt Coordinator

For what it's worth, I auditioned the DA4ES recently at a Brands Mart, and noticed that the unit exhibited noticeable hiss (noise) in DSP modes and cross-talk between inputs. The DA7ES performed slightly better, but is over twice as much. I suspect that Sony might have cut a few corners for these new products, since the DA3ES and DA5ES were highly regarded by many reviewers. My old V333ES had pretty significant noise and cross-talk, as well. Although I have used Sony products almost exclusively in the past, I'm kind of shying away from Sony products now, myself, as a result of these recent experiences.

16. terence

terence Supporting Actor

17. HaryR

HaryR Extra

No. I also listen to my 4ES at high volume level and no noticeable hiss or noise so far.

I'm very happy with the sound and features of this receiver.

Hary

18. Josh Wolfman

Josh Wolfman Stunt Coordinator

No hiss or crosstalk here.

19. Alex Dydula

Alex Dydula Stunt Coordinator

I have No auduble Hiss in my DA4ES...its very, very quite!!

This is a marvelous receiver, and lots of high end guys just have a bias towards other stuff, ie Denon, Onkyo, HK etc...and that ok, just remember this reciever is a fine instrument that can provide ample power and numerous combinations of decode!!!

This receiver for the price cant be beat. period.

Alex

20. Alvin Lau

Alvin Lau Agent

I've had my 4ES for a couple of months now, and haven't noticed any hiss or cross-talk during daily usage with digital or analog sources.
    Very happy with my 4ES (except for the remote).
    [​IMG]