What's new

Sony STR-DA3500ES receiver just turns off in middle of a DVD? (1 Viewer)

atomarchio

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Angelo
Have a Sony STR-DA3500ES receiver, Sony Bravia TV, and Sony DVD all connected via HDMI.

When watching a DVD movie, after about 30 minutes the receiver just turns off automatically and I have no idea. Both the TV and DVD player remain on.

Any idea on what would be causing this? I am using the control for HDMI as which turns the Receiver on/off as the TV power is turned on/ff. However, in this case the recevier is just turning off by itself.

This does not happen at any other time. Only when the DVD player is on.

Anything I can try here? Please let me know. Thanks,

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Double check that the sleep timer hasn't been set somehow.
It doesn't sound like a protect mode shutdown, since it only happens with the dvd player, unless you're playing the dvds a lot louder than the tv. If you are, double check all the speaker connections, at both ends, and make sure a single strand of speaker wire isn't touching something it shouldn't. Sometimes when inserting the wire into the small hole of the speaker connection post, a single wire will fray and touch something. In that case, it usually doesn't show up until a movie is being played at loud volumes.
Good luck!

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Do you play anything else loud from other sources? Because if you do then that to me gets rid of it being a short problem with speaker wire. If it is only the dvd player that this happens with then something wierd is going on. I am wondering if it is possible if the dvd player itself is triggering the reciever to shut off via hdmi? Or maybe there is a problem with the reciever itself? You might want to try a firmware update if there are any available for your dvd player. Also maybe find someone who has a different player that might be willing to let you borrow it or just bring it over, and see if you can duplicate it with a different player.

Dick Boneske

Stunt Coordinator
I would bet it's an overload problem. We tend to use much more volume watching DVD's than TV or radio. I've had this same thing happen with my Pioneer receiver. Maybe just backing off on the volume will solve your problem. If it does, more efficient speakers or external amps will help you out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks