Sony STR-DA30ES - Question about crossover

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeffrey_B, Oct 2, 2002.

1. Jeffrey_B

Jeffrey_B Agent

I just purchased a sub (SVS 20-39 PC Plus) and have a concern about the bass management of my 4-year old Sony STR-DA30ES receiver (which I kind of suspected prior to getting the sub). When I set the speakers to SMALL and the bass is redirected to the subwoofer output, it sounds as though the crossover starts rather high on the frequency spectrum. Using the AVIA 200 - 20Hz sweep, there is a considerable amount of sound coming through the sub even at 200Hz. Naturally, the SPLs start to increase as the frequency drops (I' guessing at about 100 Hz). There no adjustment on this receiver for crossover frequency, and I have not been able to find out what it is exactly (does anyone know? I believe it is about 100 Hz). When I use my CD of test tones and start even above 200 Hz (say 300 Hz), I still hear fairly audible sounds from the sub (again, with the speakers set to SMALL).

My question is - when one sets the cross over to a specific frequency - say 100 Hz - is that the point where the sub would be receiving the maximum signal (and the main speakers have rolled off) or is it where the sub is supposed to start receiving the bass signal. I understand the cross over is gradula, but on this receiver, it seems to be VERY gradual.

This wouldn't have nothered me much except that I originally planned on placing the sub in the right rear corner by my listening position - however, there is too much localizable sound (unless I use the sub's own cross over as well - at about 60 to 80Hz) - but then, I'm loosing everything in between. So, I've since moved the sub up front, where these higher bass frequencies (say 200 Hz on down to about 100 Hz) no longer sound localizable and do blend much better with my main speakers.

Does anyone out there have this model receiver? and have you had to deal with this issue and if so, how?

BTW - the SVS sub is incredible. I do not even have it in a corner now and it still puts out incredible bass in my family room (22 x 14 x 8) with the gain only about 1/2 way up. Thanks JEFF

2. Greg Schwabacher

Greg Schwabacher Stunt Coordinator

I'm pretty sure that the crossover point for the STR-DA30ES is 100Hz; I have the STR-DA50ES and that's what I remember reading way-back-when.
    Yes, the bass from my sub (original SVS 20-39PC) is pretty localizable at times. How do I intend to deal with it? I'm going to buy an STR-DA4ES at the end of the month. [​IMG]

3. Jeffrey_B

Jeffrey_B Agent

Thanks Greg. Do you have your SVS sub up front and its still localizable? I mostly had problems when it was in the rear - next to me (listening position). I too am considering a receiver upgrade at some point. BTW, I have the 9000ES DVD player too (great; except for the chroma bug - which doesn't rear its head too often).

Thanks for replying. JEFF

4. Greg Schwabacher

Greg Schwabacher Stunt Coordinator

Jeff-

Yep, my SVS is in the front-right corner of my room (you can't see the sub in my HT pics because those pictures are very old & outdated; I'm waiting until I'm done with my recent round of upgrades to repost them) and it's pretty localizable. I really notice the bass position seem to "shift" when I turn the A.F.D. Sound Field on and off when listening to stereo music (all this really does is turn the sub on and off). I rarely use the sub when listening to music, though, since my Klipsches go pretty deep. I figure this will all be solved when I get the 'DA4ES anyway.

5. Jeffrey_B

Jeffrey_B Agent

Greg (and others). I need an education: When you select a crossover frequency on the receiver (and I understand it is a gradula process of fading out the mains and fading in the sub), does the cross over START when the frequency reaches 100 Hz, does it EDN there? or is it in the middle somewhere? If the ES30 has a fixed cross over of 100 Hz, I'm hearing very audible sounds from my sub even at 200 Hz (the beginning of the AVIA 200 - 20 Hz sweep). And even higher when using my Stryke audio CD (300+ Hz).

Is this typical? Does the cross over start so high up? If so, this would seem to be a problem for those who wish to locate their subs in locations other than the front/viewing position. JEFF

6. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer
    Supporter

7. Jeffrey_B

Jeffrey_B Agent

Thanks Scott. I guess this is what is meant by *upgrade-itis*. For now, I live with my sub up front (not in a corner). I too hope to place the sub back in the rear if/when I can afford a new receiver.

JEFF