Sony STR-DA2ES?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by CarlosO, Nov 6, 2002.

1. CarlosO

CarlosO Auditioning

I'm looking to upgrade my home theater. I have a Sony STR_DE445. I heard some good things about this reciever i was just wondering if anyone out there has it, or knows more info. Thanks.

DCX

2. Steven_MB

Steven_MB Agent

Carlos:

After reviewing specs/price (and considering some remote control issues)I bought an STR- DA2ES and have used it for about a month now. Some observations:

1 - Sounds great (to my 59 year old electrical engineer ears) (+++)
    2 - Many stereo and DSP modes, good equalizer and other level controls - plenty of ability to alter sound to suit your tastes. (++++)
    3 - Controls on unit are much easier and more logical than on remote. Sony needs to spend more on Human Factors for their remote. (-)
    4 - It appears that when you feed S video in to the unit (e.g. on TV/Sat jacks), you can not get composite video out of the (video 1 or 2) jacks meant to drive a VCR. This may be true due to 2 independent video amp paths. I have a question in to Sony about this. (-)
    5 - Poor manual. It starts out well, with x-refs, but misses many important things, and is too short. (--)
    6 - Very poor technical support. After going through a short list of simple FAQs on their site, you are offered a chance to send a question via email. That generates an email acknowledgment, but no answer. (FYI - the clock is now 4 days on my receiver question, and about 1 month on my PC question to this site. Last year I finally got an off the topic answer to another question from this site, after about a month.) (---)

On balance, I'm very pleased with the receiver, but you will have to spend some time trying and figuring out things on your own. Hope this helps.

Steve

3. Andrew Pierce

Andrew Pierce Stunt Coordinator

Andrew Pierce

4. Steven_MB

Steven_MB Agent

Andrew:

Thanks for lending support to my hunch. Your suggestion is good, and I will definitely remeber it for future use.

The gap in the Sony forced me to Plan B. What I did is use a 3:1 a/v amplified fan-out box I already had to drive the VCR (composite inputs) directly from the Sat. receiver composite outputs, without going through the Sony. (The fan-out box was needed to providing an alternate easy path to drive my TV.)

While I do lose the ability to VCR record other video sources switched through the Sony, I gained the ability to record off Sat. (e.g. in the middle of the night) without having to have the STR-DA2ES on.

In engineering this HT, I tried to acomplish 2 things:

1- High Quality Audio/Video for those who want to push a lot of buttons.
    2 - An alternate easy way for non techies to watch TV or Sat, without a lot of buttons and remotes and things.

Life is full of trade-offs, but I'm still happy with the STR-DA2ES :)

Thanks again,

Steve