Sony STR-DA2ES vs. STR-DA3ES?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ben Harper, Nov 26, 2002.

1. Ben Harper

Ben Harper Extra

A relative of mine works for Sony and can get me the following at a really good price:

Sony STR-DA2ES - $365.00
    Sony STR-DA3ES - $415.00

I was wondering which one is the better of the two? Doesn't the DA2ES have more features than the DA3ES? This receiver is to be dedicated to home theater only as I have a seperate audio system for music.

Any thoughts or help?

2. Craig_Kg

Craig_Kg Supporting Actor

The 3ES is a true ES unit and has better sound quality and probably a stronger power supply.
    The 2ES is the update of the STR-DB1070 and has more processing formats.

For HT use only, save the money and go with the 2ES unless you insist on running all speakers as Large.

3. NickSP

NickSP Supporting Actor

I tried the 2ES and the 4ES as prepros to go with my AMC amps and I truly could not find any difference in the sound quality of the two when played through the external amps. I also have no reason to believe that the 2ES is some sort of an upgraded "DB" series receiver. It shares the exact same specs as far as the processing goes which includes 2 32bit DSP processors, etc and DTS 96/24. Also if you are running efficient speakers then the 2ES should perform pretty well. The 2ES gives you all of the decoding formats out there and should you need to add seperate amps, the 2ES also has preouts for all channels as well as two sets of inputs (5.1/6.1).

4. Craig_Kg

Check out this compared to the 2ES and you will see what I mean.
    I agree the 2ES is a better choice for this instance. I am changing my receiver upgrade from our equivalents of the 4ES to a 2ES, as I have bought another external amp. It's just a pain that our version loses the component switching [​IMG] .

5. NickSP

NickSP Supporting Actor

You certainly substantiated your claim Craig. I was on the Crutchfield site earlier and checked the comparison between the 2ES and the 4ES and couldn't find any difference in processing. I am sure the more advanced ES series receivers have beefier power supplies and better amps but when used as a standalone prepro, there is no difference. The difference in the 4ES was the Overall Surround gain control and the "Wide","Normal" gain for the mids in the EQ control. What I miss most from the 4ES is the 12V trigger.
    So are you changing your 4ES to the 2ES? Why not go to DB1070 if the 2ES and DB1070 are identical?

6. Craig_Kg

The 1080 (2ES) replaced the 1070 here and has things like DPLII, Neo6.1, dts96. I think you will find the 1070 was dropped over there when the 2ES was released. Also, our version of the 4ES lacks the 12V triggers, IR and 2nd room stuff making the 2ES/1080 even more attractive (just wish they'd left in those component inputs [​IMG]).
    I am agreeing with you on the use as a prepro [​IMG]

7. Ben Harper

Ben Harper Extra

Thanks Craig & Nick. I ordered the 2ES this morning. Also picked up the SONY HAR-D1000 digital jukebox as it was only $150. Should be an interesting piece of something!

8. NickSP

NickSP Supporting Actor

Congrats Ben, you should be very happy with the 2ES [​IMG]

9. NickFoley

NickFoley Stunt Coordinator

One more thing that hasnt been mentioned. The DA3ES supports 7.1 , while the DA2ES supports 6.1

10. NickSP

NickSP Supporting Actor

Nick, I don't think the 3ES offers DTS-ES Discrete decoding as well as DD-EX decoding so in that sense, the 2ES has more advanced processing.

11. altan

altan Stunt Coordinator

Does the 2es have a real 100watts per channel when running 5.1?

Anybody know what the power supply is rated?

... Altan

12. Craig_Kg

I would think it would be the same as the STR-DB1070 so we then have to look into the validity of the S&V test....