Sony STR-DA2000ES Discontinued?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by KalaniP, Feb 17, 2004.

1. KalaniP

KalaniP Extra

I heard from an online vendor I was trying to get a price quote from on this. Have had great luck with this online vendor in the past, plus this news would cost him a sale, so no reason to doubt.

But still... can anyone confirm or refute? I had been considering this unit to upgrade my main HT system from an older Sony. Debating b/t this and the 1000. My guy seemed to think there was a new line coming out soon, so perhaps now is not the best time to buy?

Agoraquest is down right now, else I'd check there first. :-(

-Kalani

2. RolandM

RolandM Stunt Coordinator

I dunno if it'd be discontinued so soon. I mean I guess it is a "2003" model but they (stores) were (are?) still clearing out DA4ES and DA7ES receivers--up until very recently (say around December/January) you could still find demo DA4ES units online and in-stores; so I'm somewhat skeptical about the DA2000ES being discontined.

Even if it were discontinued or even soon to be discontinued they'd still probably be available until the end of the year at least.

But your post leads me to believe that the DA1000ES will continue while the DA2000ES gets discontinued? Doesn't sound right to me (if that is what you meant). Because they'd probably both get replaced not just the 2000 and along with the 3000 and 5000 as well, most likely.

I'm guessing the new models (if there actually are any coming out soon) would have DPL-IIx as the main new "feature", among whatever else they add/change.

Furthermore I haven't seen any of the DAx000ES receivers for good deals--usually when retailers start selling them off cheaper than usual that indicates they are at least starting to move them to make room for the latest models...

3. KalaniP

KalaniP Extra

The comment did seem odd to me, as I, too, know these are the newer model series. He even referred to a rep reporting that they are inbetween model series releases right now. I figured maybe they pulled them due to the hiss problems some are reporting with the digital drives? I dunno. Thanks for the heads up, though.

-Kalani

4. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

It wouldn't suprise me if they ramped up release of the new models considering some of the problems they've had with the current ones. It wasn't widely reported, but many of the early units with digital amps were pulled from retailers and sent to Sony for repair because of an overheating problem.

That might not be it at all, but it does make me wonder if that's the case.

DJ

5. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

A quick call to Oade Brothers (www.oade.com) would probably settle this.