What's new

Sony STR-D3ES vs. Yamaha RX-V1200 (1 Viewer)

Chad P

Auditioning
Hello All-

I am trying to decide between the Sony STR-DA3ES and Yamaha RX-V1200. I have tried to read all the threads I could find on these and similiar models. I know there have been many "which one is best" threads, but I thought I would give this one a shot.

I REALLY want to have component switching, but it is not a must.

My usage consists of 75% movies and 25% music.

I currently have a 5 year old Yamaha RX-V902 that the rear channels seemed to have died. (I have been wanting a new one anyway.) I have been extremely happy with this receiver over the years, but it has gotten long in the tooth.

My speakers are Polk RT7 mains, CS-XXX center (can't remember the model, but it has 2 5-1/4 and tweet), and RT f/x surrounds.

The prices are very similar (I found both online for around $525-550).

Thanks for all your help.

BrianDD

Agent
I listened to both of them at a local dealer along with the Denon 2802. I rated them this way:
1.Sony
2.Denon (close second)
3.Yamaha

This was with movies and not music. To me the Yamaha sounded a little flat. It had the most neutral sound of the bunch. The Denon was much more lively. Details seemed to stand out more. The Sony took it a step foward from there. If it was me, I would pick the Denon simply because of its features. It has PLII, DD EX, and DTS ES whereas the Sony does not. It all depends on what is important to you. I don't really think you could go wrong with any of these. The Yamaha includes the newer surround formats as well.

Chad P

Auditioning
Yes, I have also been looking at the Denon 2802, but it is harder to find it in the price range of the others.
The specs on the Sony ES says that it decodes 6.1, but it does not have DD EX and DTS ES. Plus, it has 6 channel power. What is it decoding if it isn't DD EX and DTS ES? Does it "create" a rear center from the surround L/R?
Anyway, 6.1 isn't all that important to me. I would have to go buy another speaker! :)
Thanks, anybody else?

Chad P

Auditioning
Hey BrianDD-

You rated the Sony 1st, but then said you would pick the Denon. So the Sony sounded best, but you liked the Denon's features? (I think that is what you meant, but I just wanted to make sure) Thanks for you opinion.

Mike Veroukis

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael
Well, surprise, surprise, ask people what they think is best and you'll get a bunch of different responses. :)
I too A/B compared the 1200 against the 2802 and found the yammie to sound much better for music. Music is important to me so that was my major concern.
I never concidered a Sony as I've never been too fond of Sony in general. From what I've read Sony's have great features but their amp section is their weakest link.
So I guess it's safe to say you should probably just go to a dealership and check them out first hand. Be sure to bring some CDs and listen to them. Have fun.
- Mike

Chad P

Auditioning
I too have always been leary of Sony, but I also have always heard that the Sony ES line is very nice. The great specs and the 5 year warranty got me interested.

I don't mind different opinions, as long as they have reasons to back them up.

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
You guys have no idea how powerful and sonically accurate Sony ES receivers are. They are not your typical mass market gear. Don't paint everything Sony w/ the same stroke. Sony ES receivers are cut from an entirely different cloth.

BrianDD

Agent
That is basically what I meant. I liked the features of the Denon better. The new surround modes are important to me. I have to admit, I was never a fan of Sony as far as receicers go. This one really impressed me. If 6.1 and PLII are not all that important to you them by all means get the Sony. I'm sure you will be very happy with it. I did a little digging on it and it does decode DD EX through Sony's own matrix decoder so if you decide to add another speaker later you'll be ready to go for that. Mike may be right about the Yamaha sounding better with music. I didn't demo music on any of them. Good luck and let us know what you decide on.

Chad P

Auditioning
I ordered the DA3ES yesterday. I got it for $530 from one of the stores on yahoo. Thanks everyone for their opinions.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks