Sony STR-AV1070 Receiver problems

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ChristopherT, Sep 16, 2002.

1. ChristopherT

ChristopherT Agent

I recently had a six zone multiroom unit installed in my home. I have (5) zones with B&W CCM20 ceiling mounted speakers. (1) zone is for a future outside pair of speakers which are not installed at this time. I have Evans (I think) volume controls (do not know the model numbers).

I was listening to my new "speaker system" the other day and all of a sudden there was no more music. BTW, all (5) pairs of speakers were on. I went down stairs to my home audio stack to see what had happened. "PROTECTOR" or "PROTECTION" was blinking on my Sony STR-AV1070. The volume on the receiver was set a 1/3 maximum.

I shut everything down and tried again the next day. Same thing happened!

I talked with the Home Theater company that installed all the wiring, speakers, volume controls and the Phoenix Gold SAM 100 multiroom audio distribution unit. They are blaming my Sony and saying it can not handle the power draw.

I know very little about things like impedance matching and the sort. I know my Sony gets very hot, always had.

Can anyone tell me if they are pulling my leg. I would hate to have to purchase another receiver to drive these (6) audio zones.

Cheers

2. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

Here's a slightly modified copy of my response to you at AVSforum.
    "This is why true power ratings are an essential element in system design. The 1070 is quite an underperformer in multi-channel in terms of it's true power. Go here and see:
    http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Hol...01/ratevsac.htm
    I can just imagine the draw with a 10-12 speaker system no matter how it is controlled. Do not try running the Sony with any more than 2-3 zones tops."
    Also, I agree with kaanage that the system installer was either incompetent or didn't know what was going to power this system. In either case you will need more power.

3. Craig_Kg

Craig_Kg Supporting Actor

I agree with everything you say Paul except for the S&V power rating - I think the test was faulty (maybe leaving the receiver in 4 ohm mode?). This test and this test suggests the 1070 is at least average in its multichannel output at its price point.

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John

5. Paul Clarke

Hi Craig (kaanage),
    Very strange. The S&V unit may have been a bad sample as the test was their standard 1 kHz into 8 Ohms. Or as you suggest, they might have inadvertently put the impedance switch to 4 Ohms after getting the 2 channel result at 8 Ohms. I suspect the former. What is truly glaring is that if you read the actual comparison review from Dec. 01 S&V , there is no mention of the power drop-off anywhere. Nor is there mention of the impedance switch. This to my mind is more telling as the very inclusion of such a switch on ANY receiver is a strong indicator of the design philosophy of the power supply.
    The reviews you pointed to are the only other ones for the 1070. Hi-Fi Choice's methodology seems to be all over the place. Unfortunate. Oh well. The mystery continues. [​IMG]
    And, as always, none of this is meant to pick on Sony in particular or any other brand. I just distrust any product with this type of design.

6. ChristopherT

ChristopherT Agent

I noticed that the model number listed in your examples were not the STR-AV1070. I don't know if that matters or not. My Sony model is probably over 10 years old.

kaanage,
    thanks for the explanation concerning the 5 zones and the impedance. I am not clear what is meant by "impedance matching". The way it was explained to me was the volume controls and the Phoenix Gold SAM 100 were "impedance matched". This meant that I there would not be a greater draw on the receiver when all speakers were on. I am confused.

Clarkebar,
    There is no reason for me to have more than (3) zones on at one time. I was just playing around. I was surprised that the "professional" installer told me that I could have all the speaker on at the same time.

The HT company new that I wanted to use my Sony to run the (6) zone multizone audio. I am a bit disappointed that they did not bring any potential problems to my attention. I just purchased a Marantz SR7200 for my HT from the same company. I was thinking of trying it in place of the Sony. Just a test. But from what I have read so far, maybe I won't bother.

Can the Sony work if I limit my usage to 2-3 zones?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Cheers

7. Paul Clarke

Hi Christopher,
    You made a wise purchase soundwise with the 7200 IMO. This model also has a checkered past as far as some testing reviews (you're batting 1000)[​IMG] but the Marantz is a quality unit.
    I think the 1070 will be fine with 3 zones but the only way to tell is by playing some demanding material and adding in zones one at a time.

8. Rommel_L

Rommel_L Second Unit

Christopher,
    I believe the problem is that you're using the a/v receiver for the wrong application. The a/v receiver is designed to power only ONE ZONE (or room). You need a multizone power amplifier to provide juice for each zone. Companies like Sherbourn, Parasound and Niles Audio carry these kinds of amplifiers, or do a google search on multizone amplifiers.
    The problem is that I'm not sure if your (Sony) receiver can be connected to a separate power amplifier. Your receiver needs to have a 2nd room/zone audio out in order to connect it to the amp (I believe that the Marantz receiver has this capability but I'm not sure).
    The connection should be as follows: source (cd/tuner/turntable/etc.) -> pre-amplifier unit (receiver or pre/pro) -> multizone amp -> distribution unit (Phoenix Gold SAM100) -> speakers
    Shame on your installer for forgetting about the multizone amplifier. [​IMG]
    Good luck on your project and hope this helps... [​IMG][​IMG]
    -RL-
    P.S. And for the other people who responded to this thread, please first understand what's the problem before bashing the equipment because of it is from a particular brand. [​IMG]

9. Paul Clarke

Rommel,
    First, I'm quite confident your last remark wasn't based on your actually reading the previous posts as no one engaged in any Sony bashing. I even went out of my way to say so. [​IMG] Perhaps you missed that.
    Now as to the substance of the issue...of course a multi-zone amp would be the IDEAL. That is a given. And any installer faced with Christopher's demanding setup should have suggested it.
    But IT IS NOT NECESSARY for this or any other installation. It simply requires a strong enough power source and the proper distribution equipment. In Christopher's case there were simply too many zones for the power of the AV1070. Obviously, (check Chris's original post) Chris was trying to use what he had available and was (and still is) reluctant to spend more.
    Gee, I hope I'm showing an understanding of the problem. [​IMG]
    Have a nice day.[​IMG]

10. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I agree, the 7200 was a very good choice. It does have dual room/dual source capability, but the second "room" (other speakers in this case) require separate amplification.

I also fail to see where any bashing took place. It's pretty obvious that the Sony can't handle the job. I don't see how that is bashing.

11. Rommel_L

Rommel_L Second Unit

I read the posts again and NO bashing did occur. I blame my insomnia for my little rant. :b
    Christopher,
    If you still decide to stick with using a receiver as the power source, 2 zones are the most he can run at one time, providing the receiver (Sony or Marantz) can handle a 4 ohm load. If he wants tunes piped into more zones, a multizone amp is NECESSARY.
    To further explain things, if a receiver's amps are used as the power source, only the amps for the front and left speakers can be used. The zones (speakers) have to be connected in parallel in order to have the ability to play a zone or a combination of zones. The drawback is the more zones you want to use the total load drops, making the amps work harder. This explains the Protection mode on the Sony receiver when 3 or more zones are turned on. The receiver's amps can't handle the load.
    On the other hand, you won't have this problem if a multizone amplifier is used. As the name implies, a set of amplifier is used for each zone. This means all the zones are not connected in parallel and are independent from one another.
    Good luck on your decisions... [​IMG]
    John and Paul,
    I hope this explains why I think the multizone amp is not only ideal, its NECESSARY. Switching to the Marantz will not make difference, if you are running more than 2 zones. When someone has this kind of setup, why not have the capability to run all zones at the same time?
    I love these good-natured discussions... [​IMG]
    -RL-

12. Paul Clarke

Rommel,
    So do I.[​IMG]
    Now YOU just have to convince Christopher to sell his AV1070
    and put some money toward the Niles.[​IMG]
    Like anything else in AV...$$$=Problem solved.

13. Rommel_L

Rommel_L Second Unit

Why me? [​IMG]
    Anyway, I thought my arguments/suggestions I stated above would help him make the next move.
    So Christopher, what's your next step to solve your dilemma?
    -RL-

14. ChristopherT

ChristopherT Agent

Armed with knowledge [​IMG], I am going to contact the HT company that sold and installed my multizone set-up.
    I am not impressed that this was not brought to my attention earlier, by the experts!
    I sincerely appreciate all this feedback and information. [​IMG]
    I will keep you posted on what the HT company has to say.
    Cheers [​IMG]