What's new

Sony ST RDE 985, your thoughts on it? (1 Viewer)

Yuli

Agent
Hi guys,

This is my first post on this forum. I need some advise. I recently got a widescreen rptv (Sony KP 51HW40) and am looking for a good sound system to complement it. Moderate, solid home theater system, nothing super expensive and such.

In the search for a good reciever, a friend of the family, who is an employ at The Brick (toronto, canada) offered the Sony ST RDE 985 reciever to us (me and my dad) for around $400 canadian.

Now, i am very new the world of recievers, etc, and need your advise on this particular reciever.

Is it any good? Or should i go with something else (in the $500 range)

Any advise would be greatly appreciated....

Thanks

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Welcome to HTF :D
Two questions here - Is it a good receiver? and Can you do better for the price?
Is it a good receiver? No. Sony's DE line has average sound quality and below average amps. I would not recommend anything lower than the ES line for Sony receivers.
Can you do better for the price? Maybe, that seems like a decent price, but take a look at the Onkyo TX-SR500 and 600, Marantz SR4200, Denon 1602 or 1802, Harmon Kardon AVR125 or 225, as well as similarly priced Yamahas. If your friend can get a deal on any of those, I would take any of them over the Sony.

Kris McLaughlin

Stunt Coordinator
I think John's right - Have a look at some others near that price range. I have the Sony STR-DE925, and it's nothing special. Works just fine, but the sound is not great, mainly in 2-channel music mode. Just not....alive...
It's fine for surround sound w/ DVD, though.
With a widescreen TV in your setup, I get the impression you might want a little bit better sounding receiver than the Sony DE series.

Cheers,

Yuli

Agent
That's a great question Charles, because speakers is the second item on my list that needs to be decided on.

This is more appropriate in the speaker forum

The guy at The Brick is offering:
Bose 301 mains
Bose 201 rears
Bose VSC10 center

But i am very sceptical about Bose, especially after i read so many negative opinions on their speakers.

I am looking for moderate, solid speakers, mostly for movies (70%movies, 30% music) in the $1500-2000 (canadian) price range. Basically good bang for the buck value. I am looking at Axiom, Paradigm, Kiplisch.

As a matter of fact, i am going to visit a couple of dealers tomorrow and get a taste of some speakers and see what i like.

Charles Gurganus

Supporting Actor
Choosing the speakers should probably be first. Stay away from the Bose ones. The ones you listed look good but Kiplisch would be extreamly bright with Sony(and most any receiver).
I am not into the canadian dollar conversion thing but I can recommend NHT speakers. I have heard good things about the new NHT bookshelf speakers. The below package would be very good.
http://ww2.onecall.com/SPL_565.htm
The Axiom and Paradigm brands may suit your budget better however. When you audition the speakers, note the electronics they use as well.

matthew_rm

Second Unit
Real Name
Real name
Klipsch is great, but I do think they sound bad with SONY. Try HK, or Denon. :)
I would not get the Sony. They do not sound very good. Onkyo is also nice. The 797 sounds pretty good on the Klipsch RF3II's.

Yuli

Agent
I did some speaker shoping and i think i will go with the Axioms

The setup i am thinking of is

M22Ti fronts
QS4 rears
VP100 center
EP175 sub

So what do you guys think will be a suitable reciever for this system?

Thanks,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks