Sony spineless for changing UK release date

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jonathan Fisher, Mar 10, 2002.

1. Jonathan Fisher

Does anyone care about the Spider-Man movie being put back 6 weeks here in the UK? Thought not. Or that's how it seems. I've been sending an ultimate complaint article to anyone who might be able to influence a change or extract an honest, non-patronising answer from Sony, on the subject of the changed date. But all I seem to get back is silence or 'we sympathise but so what'. The whole delay utterly stinks, after Sony put out the date of May 10, then May 3 - months ago without any hint of a change, allowing UK fans to get their hopes up. It's bad enough that the UK version will most likely be cut to achieve a PG rating (or even cut for a "12" rating if the PG-13 comic-stylised, martial arts-based fighting violence of the U.S. version seems 'too much' for pre-teens), but then we have to put up with an extra 6 week wait just to see this inferior, cut UK half-measure, short-change-the-public, altered version! Also, the UK is nearly last on the world release schedule, yet countries like Estonia, Iceland and Uruguay get it well before the UK!! Then Episode II of Star Wars gets announced for May 16/17 in many territories, and Sony bottles out (but not on the USA release, which is even more curious), even with a tentpole, guaranteed smash-hit picture like Spidey they fold and have no confidence in it! U.S. audiences wouldn't tolerate such treatment and delays, so why should us 'don't-raise-your-voice, saps' in the UK. Something needs to be done. So be it if Sony won't relent - which of course they won't, just since a few 'lowly, invisible' fans have complained - but I want a proper explanation. Still, someone has to try to make them accountable damn it. Somebody. Nothing they can say justifies the delay. My article trashes any possible excuse in advance, by covering every angle of the issue. And if I haven't covered them all, I sure will if anyone gives me a new reason I hadn't thought of previously. I'm not arrogant and jealous, just very p***** off and baffled at present. If anyone of a movie-fan nature or movie-industry-player nature IS interested/wants to read the article, it's too lengthy to put on here, so I'd happily email it to you. Thank you.

2. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

Welcome to the forum Jonathan.
    Although I don't share your EXTREME irritation at the delay of this flick, it did raise a frown when I read about it a few weeks ago.
    I wouldn't want to speculate about possible explanations without reading your article. But could the decision to move be to plug a UK release date, that otherwise didn't have a major film slated for release? Perhaps they wanted to avoid a clash with Episode 2, here in the UK?
    That said, there MUST be a reason for the move. They wouldn't be doing it, unless someone at Sony, thinks its gonna make them more money.

3. Terrell

Terrell Producer

Let me get this straight. You guys have far more risque` shows in the U.K. You're TV stations and radio stations are far more liberal than ours, yet you can't even get the theatrical release? Dumbfounding. That's crazy.

4. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

Terrell,

Just flipflop the US take on sex in the movies and violence in the movies and you'll have a pretty good idea of their take on sex and violence.

We can have plenty of violence, even gore, in PG-13 but no nudity. Heck, anything approaching graphic sex is headed for the cinematic death zone labeled NC-17.

5. Terrell

Terrell Producer

So it's not the nudity, but the violence that the UK doesn't go in for. Gotcha![​IMG]

6. Iain Jackson

Iain Jackson Second Unit

Yeah, over here the British Board of Film Classification is paranoid about what they call "imitable techniques", i.e. any acts of violence that stupid kids might be able to try, such as headbutts, ear claps, anything involving knives, etc. I can understand this for little kids, but these are the kind of things that get a film slapped with an 18 certificate! I'm sure that the average 15 year-old would have a bit more sense than to start headbutting people just because they saw it in The Matrix.

Of course, anything that isn't easily imitable, such as use of guns or chopping off people's heads is perfectly acceptable and films like Sleepy Hollow (21 decapitations!) get away with 15 certificates... the whole system is inconsistent and flawed.

7. Jonathan Fisher

How did a thread about THE DELAYED RELEASE DATE IN THE UK become solely a discussion on 'UK censor problems'?! Why the indifference? Don't you care about the delayed release at all?! The 'likely cut version' sentence I put in was just a throwaway addition, it wasn't meant to take over the whole debate! The point is that the issue is mostly about the unhinted-at extra 6 week delayed release (since last summer Sony UK have allowed UK fans to believe that we only had to wait until May 3/10), just because of AOTC's now-close-by release, and about the UK getting Spidey AFTER countries where I'd a) question whether they even have any cinemas there (e.g. Estonia)(!), and b)question Sony prioritising those nations over the UK, when these territories are almost meaningless in terms of their drop-in-the-ocean contributions to a big U.S. movie's world box office takings, which shows just where the UK stands in not being respected as an important country for cinema attendances. Yes it IS really infuriating I agree, but the censored nature of the UK version when we see it, should be almost expected (out of habit), whereas the delayed release itself wasn't expected. I know the UK gets a lot of movies far too long after U.S. release, but Spidey was down for May 3/10 since last July!

That's what I'm getting at. Thanks for any participation anyway.

8. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

The UK Spider-Man date has never been set as May 3rd since as far back as last July. For the US sure, they had it set way back, but for us it didn't really become set until earlier this year. If it's being moved purely because of Clones, I don't buy it, not when Spider-Man remains set for release before Episode II in the US (which is a more important terriroty to the studios than UK)...

If one takes into account the times of school holidays differ between the UK and US, I can easily accept why Sony would push Spider-Man closer to the time when British schools close for the summer. This has been common practice in the past, so it doesn't shock me now.

I would not go assuming the UK prints will be cut in any way just yet. I see no reason to believe it will, it thankfully doesn't look to be an overly violent film at all.

9. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    Jonathan, I think we're more shocked at your excitement at seeing a movie about some guy in a silly suit shooting webs from his wrists and bouncing from building to building, I thought we all went off this superhero crap when Schumacher inflicted Batman & Robin on all of us.[​IMG]
    Shouldn't we all be foaming at the mouth waiting to see what big prezzy George has in store for us this May or is it June for us Brits?
    Or hows about Minority Report? A SF action movie directed by Signor Spielbergo himself, starring Tom Cruz.
    Just messing with ya J, I wanna see Spidey too, just hope it lives upto its hoopla, and that Dafoe as the Green Goblin doesn't have me sinking in my seat with embarrassment, fingers crossed, I don't think its gonna be cut over here because I think Spiderman will be more kiddie friendly than the X-Men.
    I can patiently wait for Spidey, but not for the other two I mentioned.[​IMG]

10. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

Steve,
    Episode II we get May 16th, same day as the US (technically with the time difference, we'll be watching it before them). Lucasfilm decided to do this after taking into account viewers of Phantom Menace in the US in May of 99 basically ruined it for everyone in other countries getting it some months later (July here). The same date policy is also being taken up so they can milk another "worldwide" home video release within the same week.
    Dan
    PS: Go to bed [​IMG]

11. Steve Christou

Steve Christou
    Thanks for the info Dan.[​IMG]

12. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

13. Jonathan Fisher

Everyone's still getting sidetracked - commenting on other subjects in this thread, instead of reasoning why Spidey's been moved in the UK, or trying to get an answer/compensation from Sony about this. Indifference is rife. Thanks.

I don't care half as much what other films are coming out this summer and when. Never mind their release dates. What about the Spider-Man issue?

14. Steve Christou

Steve Christou

15. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

16. MickeS

MickeS Producer

17. TheBat

TheBat Producer

Jacob
    remeber how you felt when episode 1 was delayed.. not very happy, since it was the only movie that you wanted to see.. this year it's spiderman.. he wants spiderman before june 14th.. I would want it too. I live in the states, I wouldn;t like the change either.

JACOB

18. Jonathan Fisher

To Steve - 'thanks' for your sarcasm, which helps the issue a lot!

To Jacob - thanks (genuinely) for your support.

To MickeS - you try waiting 42 more days for something that 'you can't wait for' too. If you read my article you'd understand. My 11-year-old nephew was inconsolable when I had to break the news to him. Any takers for that article still anyone?

To Paul - I shall oblige, and indulge in the relevance of the censorship debate myself, shortly. Just since my interest has been stirred by some of Dan Brecher's points....

19. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

Jonathan, forgot to say. Yes, shoot the article my way if you please.

Dan

20. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

Jonathan,
    Thanks for the article. You certainly touched upon every possible base as far aspossible reasons for the delay are concerned.
    Constructive criticism: some of the passages, in my opinion, are too informal to really make the impact that I think you're going for. If you tightened up the world count a bit, and edited the segments where you were quite bluntly expressing your frustration into a more formal style, you'd have one hell of a persuasive article on your hands.
    Also, have you considered publishing. Its longer than your average paperback! [​IMG] How long did it take you?