Sony Speakers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Aston, Apr 30, 2002.

1. Mike Aston

Mike Aston Auditioning

Greetings from New Zealand. First timer and new to home theatre world but catching the bug fast. A friend is travelling overseas soon and is selling a pair of Sony Extended Series X70ED speakers (floorstanders) at a good price. They're newish here and retail for about $US1000/pair.

Does anyone know what they're like? I've searched audioreview.com and others to no avail. They will replace an ageing Bose sats and passive sub. Would then buy a Sony centre and rear speakers.

Have a Denon 1602 receiver.

The only problem I might have in terms of budget etc is that I'm getting married a little down the track and should probably get this (new speakers) done and over with quickly before being reminded about “other priorities”.

Any guidance would help.

2. Tom Grooms

Tom Grooms Second Unit

You can do much, much better.......

3. DennisMc

DennisMc Extra

First, Welcome to HTF Mike. To elaborate on Tom's reply, there are many more respected speaker manufactures that would most likely out perform the Sony's at that price (at least here in the US). Are there Electronics stores there with a good selection that you can audition ? Keep up the research online, you will find a ton information on what's good and what's not-so good in these forums.

Dennis

4. Mike Aston

Mike Aston Auditioning

Hello again. Guess you are right - but you guys are spoilt for choice and price. Just kinda jumping to get into this but will put the brakes on. Axioms caught my eye, among others, but having difficulty finding a retailer/distributor here. Awaiting word from Axiom and will continue to research. Glad to be here, though. Awesome site. Ditto advice.

5. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

I read somewhere that the Sony X-Series speakers will be showing up in the US soon. Where did I read that? The Perfect Vision? Anyway, the Sony X-Series will resemble the B&W Nautius 800 Series in appearance, with a tweeter pod sorta separated from the main body of the speaker. I actually saw a photo of the speaker in one of the Japanese audiophile magazines. I will see if I can locate a photo of these somewhere on the net. But I think we should make judgements AFTER we hear the speaker.

6. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Located these on Sony's Japanese website, the Sony SS-X90ED....
    [​IMG]
    and the SS-X70ED....
    [​IMG]
    The SS-X90ED is listed at Y90,000/each (or about US$701.00/each) and the SS-X70ED is listed at Y60,000 (or about US$467.00/each)
    Maybe this super-tweeter goes with the above speakers...
    [​IMG]
    And while I was there, I noticed this powered subwoofer, the SA-WX90 (Y69,800 or approximately US$537.75)....
    [​IMG]
    From what I can understand....350 watts and magnetically-shielded.

7. Ash

Ash Auditioning

Hi Mike

I recently bought the JBL SCS-135 series for NZ$1200.00 It's a matched set of fronts/centre/surrounds with a 100W powered sub. For our regular sized homes these are just great.

8. Mike Aston

Mike Aston Auditioning

Gidday Danny - you're on the case. I suspect, like some movies and some singles, New Zealand may be first or second off the lot sometimes with the occasional new product from some of the majors. That's why I was surprised those Sonys don't appear to have popped up in the US. Thanks, Ash - where exactly are you?

Still awaiting shipping quote overnight - it's 7.15pm here now - from Axiom. That will be the clincher - shipping costs and Customs duties, etc, which, I understand, can amount to at least two-thirds the purchase price of gear imported direct from North America.

On the home front, Ash, I am also looking at the DB Dynamics Vega release . . .big raps on audioenz.co.nz and not far off your JBL price. DB Dynamics are Australian, so if there are any Aussies with this package, I'd love to hear your opinions. The reviews are impressive in terms of quality for the price.

9. felix_suwarno

felix_suwarno Screenwriter

why dont you try boston acoustics? or psb?
    http://www.audioenz.co.nz/2001/news/january.html
    aww come on, shipping cost for axiom from canada to nz would be ridiculous. i have psb image 1b and i think it would make you really happy. it sounded good out of the box that now i dont believe in the speaker break in myth.
    or what about energy?
    if i were you i wont consider axiom, simply because i dont want to pay the shipping cost. shipping cost + tax + price of the speaker = higher end speakers from another brands in your case.

10. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

I saw the Sony's at the HE2002 in NYC. They had this B&W look that I really like. Didn't hang around to hear them though, they are Sony after all [​IMG]. The logic that you should hear something before you dismiss it does NOT always apply IMO. Every once in a while you are surprised, but its rare.
    If they are easily accessible, then try them. If not, I wouldn't go out of my way for them.
    Sony excels at many things. Speaker is not one of them.
    --
    Holadem

11. Manuel Delaflor

Manuel Delaflor Supporting Actor

holadem
    Im testing the Sony's, you can read more here:
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=76049
    I think this is one case when the "you should hear before stating an opinion" applies. Discarding the new line of Sony Speakers is not wise, they really worked to design good speakers this time, comparable to some B&W offerings (this can sound as a Heresy, but only time will tell).
    And no, Im not saying that I love them, just that they are noticeable better than the older lines.

12. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

"And no, Im not saying that I love them, just that they are noticeable better than the older lines."
    That's encouraging.. [​IMG]
    I never liked Sony speakers and they are almost at the bottom of my list. I do like their video products though.
    I can't wait until those new sonys start popping up here. I hope they will start producing loudspeakers worthy of discuss on this forum. The more good speakers the merrier.

13. Shad R

Shad R Supporting Actor

TOM! HOW DARE YOU, YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW HIS WIFE!!! oh, the speakers![​IMG]