Sony Speakers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by balwinder, Dec 11, 2001.

1. balwinder

balwinder Extra

Hi, Are Sony Speakers SSM-F600H any good? How are they compared to say Polk audio? What about Sony Subwoofer SA-WM40, how is this compared to others outher there?
    I get good deals on Sony products but I am not sure about the quality.
    -Balwinder[​IMG]

2. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

Sony makes "some" good electronic gear. ( i have a SCD-C555ES multichannel SACD player, S9000ES dvd player) My advice is to stay away from Sony speakers and buy speakers from a company that makes speakers for a living. On a side note, i read alot of good stuff about that sub as far as a low budget sub. Just my opinion [​IMG]
    - Chip

3. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

For speakers I would look elsewhere. The SA-WM40 is an excellent budget sub but it is not even close to the same league as an Adire Audio Rava or SVS 25-31CS with something to power it with.

4. John Carter

John Carter Auditioning

I was wondering about the Sony 600s also, due to their attractive price.

Would JBL N38's be a better choice?

John

5. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

Sony speakers are nothing short of junk. Do yourself a favor and get the JBL's..

6. Matt DeVillier

Matt DeVillier Supporting Actor

Chip,
    have you actually heard the Sonys, or are you just making a blanket statement based on their reputation of past speakers? I only ask because many people have been pleasantly surprised by the sound of the 600s and their predecessors the 515s.
    balwinder,
    listen to both the Sonys and the JBLs with music you are familiar with (bring your own cds if possible). Buy whichever sound better, and buy them from a place you can easily return them to in case you don't like them when you match them with your equipment in your room.

7. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

"Chip,
    have you actually heard the Sonys, or are you just making a blanket statement based on their reputation of past speakers?"
    I'm making a blanket statement... I doubt i'd ever consider Sony a "speaker company". Hey, don't get me wrong, Sony makes some really good products but, you have too pick and choose with Sony. I own a Sony SCD-C555ES multichannel SACD player and it is incredibly good....really. I also own a Sony DVP-S9000ES DVD/SACD player...outstanding piece. Having said that, i'll stand by my comments.. Merry Christmas [​IMG]

8. Mark Rich

Mark Rich Second Unit

Chip E

Nice to see you are still making blanket statements:)

I believe What Hi-fi (U.K magazine)thought that a set of Sony speakers (low/mid price towers)were great and won a speaker sound off against some very reputable brands. This may not apply to all their speakers but I wouldnt dismiss them as JUNK !

9. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

Mark,
    Your probably right...Junk was a little harsh. At the moment though, a better term escapes me... If i can come up with a more appropriate way of how i feel, i'll post it. [​IMG]

10. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    how about this: Sony < Bose? my friend's roommate in my dorm has a pair of "nice" Sony towers and they are crap. (then again, i am biased toward B&W...) i think my old Cambridge SoundWorks cubes sounded better! JBL > 100 Sony speakers.

11. Paul E V

Paul E V Stunt Coordinator

I just got my SA-VA500s working right --- one of the wires was made wrong so when I had everything properly connected - it wasn't