Sony Service Warranty: What will fix my WEGA?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joseph Young, Jan 7, 2002.

1. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

Hi all,
    I am going to be utilizing my service warranty via Sony very soon, in regards to my 32FV27 model WEGA. Here is a list of all the problems I have encountered so far:
    Uneven brightness 'streak' on left side of screen (in low light conditions).
    Thin dark strip down left side of screen (in all conditions).
    Thin dark strip across top portion of screen (in all conditions).
    Bending or 'bowing' along all 4 corners (geometry issues).
    Pixels appear not evenly distributed along screen (ie: ending credits appear to 'undulate' and bend from bottom to top).
    Those are the primary issues. My question for you is: should I simply ask for a general calibration of the set (no i have not entered the service menu so my warranty is valid) and some kind of part replacement for the uneven brightness? Has anyone else who has gotten a WEGA repaired have any input? Thanks!
    Cheers,
    Joseph

2. Joseph Young

It was worth a try. [​IMG]

3. Joseph Young

Thanks for replying.

All of that does not surprise me at all. I can't in good faith recommend a WEGA over 27" to anybody. Sony has been betting on the hope that most consumers will not notice the various brightness/color/geometry imperfections. They have also been hoping to leave retailers and technicians (who consult with us, the consumer) under the impression that all of those problems from the past have been dealt with, with the later models.

My WEGA is definitely a newer model and it has randomly exhibited signs of worsening geometry and dark lines. I will be hard pressed to explain to Sony that these problems simply 'materialized,' but that's exactly what happened.

Luckily, I get the feeling the warranty will cover these things (it had better!).

Joseph

4. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member

Doug
    I have to concur with Terrance about the woes of the Sony VVEGA. My KV-32FS12 exhibits most of the reported problems associated with this television. I've owned it for over a year and instead of becoming less noticable the imperfections have grown in my sight. Sometimes I get so frustrated watching the thing that I just turn it off. Since a replacement is not in the budget right now I just have to live with the fact that I spent $850 on a poorly designed, poorly built TV. It's only saving grace is the 16:9 mode.

It's really amazing that Sony is still able to foist this kind of product on the consumer over 2 years after it's introduction without addressing the design and quality control issues. I know one thing for sure - the next time I'm in the market for a television it won't be Sony who gets my money. You know the old saying, "Fool me once, shame on you..."

DP

5. Tony_Pat

Tony_Pat Agent

Doug (and everybody else), I've been hemming and hawing about buying a good 32" TV for a couple of months. I have no brand loyalties, so I guess my question is: does anyone out there actually make a good analog 32" set that has no significant problems?