Sony SDP-EP9ES Dolby Digital Processor as a Demodulator

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Richard Cook, Jul 18, 2003.

1. Richard Cook

Richard Cook Stunt Coordinator

Hi folks

I recently upgraded my old Yamaha Prologic amp for a Denon 2802 Receiver, so far so good.

As you know, the Denon doesn't have a built in LD demodulator and finding separate ones these days is like looking for the lost ark of the covenant[​IMG]

Anyway, a thought occured to me while I was setting it all up. I had been using a Sony SDP-9ES processor for Dolby Digital duties with the old Yamaha via it's 5.1 input, and I thought What if I connect the LD RF out to the input on the Sony, as before, but rather than using the 5.1 outputs from the Sony to the Denon, just take a feed from the Sony's digital out to the Denon's Digital input 3 (I figured that the signal emerging from the Sony must be a demodulated one as it has already passed thru the Sony's circuitry)?

Well, it worked, the Denon recognised the signal and selected DD automatically. I just have to remember to switch off the Sony when I'm playing non AC3 LD's, but at least I don't need to find another demodulator.

Has anybody else tried this?

Oh, it sounds fine, by the way

[​IMG]

2. Jim J

Jim J Second Unit

I'm doing same with a Denon AVD-2000.

I am looking for a demodulator to save space. But it still is not cost-effective.

3. GordonL

GordonL Supporting Actor

I'm using the Denon AVD-2000 for the same purpose. Also, because the AVD-2000 has 6 channel external inputs with a master volume control, I'm also using it for my DVD-Audio player. [​IMG] You can still find RF-Demodulators on Ebay but they cost a small fortune.

4. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I'm using an old Onkyo ED-901 for my LD AC-3 decoding, using the 5.1 input on my Outlaw 950. No problem. Why buy a demodulator? [​IMG]