Sony SDP-E800 DAC Compatibility Issues

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Roger Ramjet, Feb 18, 2002.

1. Roger Ramjet

Roger Ramjet Auditioning

Can I connect the coax digital audio out from a Progressive Scan DVD player to the Sony SDP-E800? I guess another way of putting it would be; Are there progressive scan DVD players that have a 44.1/48khz compatible digital audio output? The SDP-E800 indicates that it's DAC is only compatible with a 44.1/48khz sampling rate. The SDP-E800 also only has one analog input and I want to use this for a VCR. I've seen older DVD players with 44.1/48K rates, but have yet to find a progressive model that states this.

Thanks.

2. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

"Progressive" is video (S-video, component video, etc.). Has nothing to do with the coax digital output or input. [​IMG]
    For (most) DVD players, all you're going to get through that coax digital output is linear PCM (44.1/16 for CDs), Dolby Digital, or DTS. (Some) DVD players do output 24/96 (like Pioneer), but there aren't that many of those discs around.
    So should be OK with the Sony SDP-E800.
    Also, I used one of these for a while. Quite noisy I thought. But you'll have to see how it sounds in your system...

3. Roger Ramjet

Roger Ramjet Auditioning

Thanks Kevin. Yes, I was aware of "progressive" only referring to the video portion. I guess what threw me was that all of these players (such as the Toshiba SD-5700) show the audio as 24bit/96khz. I then noticed the warning in the Sony's manual that states that it is not compatible with 96k sampling rates.

How about sattelite receivers, will the optical digital audio out work in the Toslink in on the SDP-E800?

About the "hiss"; Unfortunately I have not had a chance to hook up my system yet. I'll let you know if I get "hissed on" as well. I picked up the Sony for $85, new. I figure this will probably tide me over until prices drop on 7:1 processors.

4. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Satellite receivers: got me there. I don't know what that bit length/sampling rate would be.
    I'm not familar with the Toshiba, but I'm guessing that they are just talking about its capability. But again, not many of those 24/96 discs around. (I think Chesky or someone put out a few.)
    Well, for $85, I don't think you can lose! [​IMG]
    There's also the SDP9ES (or something), that you can usually get around $300 used. Completely different league than the E800. (Really good, in other words!)