What's new

SONY SCD-XE670 short review (4 Viewers)

Beign on short budget before new mortgage, I can't get one of those nice ES SACD players. So I decided to check entry level player and if it stands out, I'll keep it for mean time.
My previous CD players were el'cheapo JVC and Sony 5-d carousels; only way to listen to those is through digital out.
First of all, this single disc 670 is much heavier than most of mass market 1-5 disk players. Front panel design is fine except mechanical power button (no remote on/off function :frowning: ). It has headphone output jack. Player seems to remember options after you turn it off, it stayed in REPEAT mode after being unplugged. Setup is quite easy, it has few options on prefferable format - 2- or 6-channels, speaker configuration and level adjustment. I didn't use it's own remote because I have Sony VL900 which works well with this player.
CD playback.
Digital out. Sounds similiar to my previous players, nothing special.
Analog out. Highs are much better defined, much tighter bass and imaging is way over what I had before. :emoji_thumbsup:
Headphones. No comparison to previous ones, no need to go through receiver anymore.
SACD.
Player comes with Miles Davis Kind Of Blue SACD. I compared it to CD I've had. SACD reveals more detail, it sounds smoother than CD; very warm and pleasant sound. I listened it over 3 times in a row. Just beatifull!!! :b
So it's a definite keeper for me. I can recommend it for those with limited budget and very expensive needs ;)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Andriy, thanks for posting the review. Sounds like the 'XE670 is a very nice player for the money. I'm in the US, and the 'XE670 was supposed to be released here, but for some reason, it wasn't. Too bad. Enjoy SACD.

KrisM

Second Unit
If you don't mind me asking, where did you buy it and how much was it? I just started looking at new players and demoed this one today. If anybody else has opinions on this or any other single disc SACD players, let me know.

Thanks

KrisM

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Andrew, if only Future Shop would ship to the US. :frowning: It's not fair. Canada gets the 'CE775 and 'XE670. We only get the 'CE775 in the US. I don't understand why Sony has such an aversion to selling single-disc players in the US. :frowning:

Eujin

Supporting Actor
Keith, I expect that at the low-end of the market Sony feels that a single disc player without video capability would be a tough sell--just look at the growth of home theater in the last few years. I suspect that they expected the NS500V DVD player to be the solution for people looking at single-disc players--which probably explains why places like Best Buy put the 500V in the "secret" SACD section, rather than the DVD player section. Personally, I think Sony has gone about SACD in a really irrational and schizophrenic way--especially if SACD really is a format intended for audiophiles.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
I might be willing to buy one and ship it to someone if they want. Drop me an email if you're interested.

Miles

Second Unit
Hey,

Has anyone found the SACD output levels on 2-channel analog to be high? The only SACD I have is Satriani's Engines of Creation and it's tripping a warning light on my receiver and the audio seems to distort from time to time when the warning light goes off.

Thanks for any help,

Miles

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Miles, I don't have the 'XE670, but I have never heard that being a problem with Sony SACD players.

DavidY

Supporting Actor
Anyone in Canada might want to take a look at your local Sears store for a great deal on the Sony XE670....right now it's clearance priced at CDN$166.94 plus applicable taxes. Comes with one SACD disc....James Taylor's Hourglass for me (they misplaced a Miles Davis SACD that was on the box).

Last week, I bought the last remaining floor model at a local Sears store. I will put it through the paces later this week.

Dave

DavidY

Supporting Actor
KeithH,

Nothing special on CDs....just a mass market Sony 5 disc changer, CDP-CE405 I think.

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks