Sony SCD-XA777ES at speedandsound.com

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rachael B, Feb 24, 2002.

1. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    They have the 777 for $1895. That's by far the best price I've run accross. Anybody ever dealt with these guys? They're an unauthorized dealer but claim to warrant products themselves. What's up? Thanks for any testimonials!
    www.speedandsound.com

2. Joe Casey

Joe Casey Stunt Coordinator

I'd be wary of unauthorized Sony ES dealers. Just for the peace of mind, if you must go mail order, try Oade Bro's instead. They've got the XA for $2k and are authorized dealers. I got mine from a genuine b&m dealer.

3. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Joe, Sony has lost their only ES dealer here. I have no choice but to go mail order these days if I want one. Isn't Oade Brothers One Call? If so, on their web site I think the 777 is $3000. Best wishes!
    P.S.- Keith, you usually love SACD topics, que pasa?

4. Joe Casey

From what I understand, Oade and OneCall are different, and Oade has the piece for $2k including shipping.

5. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    I wish I knew how to contact Oade Brothers then! I'm intrested...I'm also considering the 555 too. Thanks and bestest wishes!

6. JerryW

JerryW Supporting Actor

Rachael, call them at 229-228-0093 and tell them what you want to spend, they'll work with you.

Also.

Yes, from what I've heard, Oade Bros = One Call.

7. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Thanks Jerry![​IMG]

8. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

9. Joe Cole

Joe Cole Second Unit

Oade Brothers is in GA.

I believe OneCall is in the state of Washington. One call is Huppins Hi-Fi, Photo, & Video, established in 1908, a fourth generation - independent retailer

Oade says they have been in GA for 22 years.

2000K shipped is a good price, especially since they are an authorized dealer.

I am about to buy one of these units soon.

10. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Rachael, Joe has it right. Oade Bros. and OneCall are distinct dealers. I've ordered from both and have never had a problem with either. Both are authorized Sony ES dealers. Oade Bros. (1-229-228-0093 or 1-229-228-4480) has the 'XA777ES for $2000, and OneCall (1-800-340-4770) may very well match their price. J&R Music World (1-800-221-8180) is also an authorized dealer and will likely match Oade Bros.' price. J&R is also an authorized Sony ES dealer. Best of luck.

P.S. I'm thinking of picking up the 'XA777ES too, but I would like to see if Sony will drop the retail price. Sony dropped the retail price on the '777ES, 'C333ES, and 'C555ES. I waited for the price drop on each before buying.

11. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Keith, I'm not in a hurry to make up my mind. I had planned to get a Pioneer 47A or 733. But, I'm so happy with my RP91 for video that I've started considering the possibility of getting a 555 or 777 instead. The 555 would fit in my budjet better but the 777 is tempting. I wish I could go out and see the 777 and 555 but the local dealer, Now A/V, that carried ES has droped the line. I am going to atleast see the 47A before I make up my mind. I've become somewhat disenchanted with DVD-A which is why I'm considering the Sony players at all.
    Last fall I was considering getting an all-region AX10 and decided to wait on the 47A. I spent some of the money in my AX10 fund and now my budjet is tighter. I might stretch out for the 777? I like macaroni and cheese anyway!I like the 555's 5 disc capacity and price. I've been offered $900 for the 47A which is a decent price, me thinks. I'm thinking the 555 could be had for that or a wee bit more? So, I'm shopping around. I might even go to Oade Brothers if they have a storefront? If Thomasville is around the greater Atlanta area as I'm betting it is, It's only 190 miles straight down I-75 to Messy 'Lanta, which used to be Hot! I might go down there. I'm gonna make a move in the next couple of months. I'm liking SACD more and more despite Sony... Best wishes!

12. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

The 555 goes around $800 at J&R and Oade Bros.

BTW the Pioneer 47A is the new upcoming universal player right?

If so, where did you get the price quote from?

Is this player out yet?

13. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Rachael, I believe Oade Bros. has a brick-and-mortar store, but I am not certain. I also don't know where Thomasville is in relation to Atlanta, as I don't know the area. If Oade Bros. has a brick-and-mortar store, it could be worth the trip. Of course, before you were to hit the road, you should see if they would offer their discounted prices in the store. Some merchants charge higher prices in stores than by mail. In any event, Oade Bros. sells the 'C555ES for $800 by mail, including shipping. If you pull the trigger on an SACD player, I'd like to hear how it works out. Likewise, if you try out the Pioneer Elite DV-47A, please post your thoughts.

14. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Lewis, the Pioneer Elite DV-47A is a new "universal" player. While it retails for $1200, I read here last week that www.soundpros.com is taking pre-orders for $750. Note, however, that soundpros.com is not an authorized dealer.

15. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Lewis, that price was offered to me at Now A/V, a local B & M, over the weekend to take one sight unseen. I didn't want to do that. They wanted me to put $200 down too. There's another Elite dealer about a half a mile away and if I tell them I was offered $900 at Now, they'll give me that price too or better it. Oh, Now said that the 47A would arrive in 2 to 3 weeks. I've heard that before, about 2 to 3 weeks ago!
    Keith, once I see the 47A I'll call Oade. I might drive down just to look, if possible. I don't know Georgia's laws but if the stuation is like here, I could pick out the unit, even pay, but the unit would have to be shiped to avoid sales tax. At worst, I make up my mind and go home and order. My brother has done that here and has the stuff shiped to his Texas home. I'll tell everybody once I play around with the 47A. Somebody here on the forum already has a 733 but they shiped it off for a DVI mod after playing with it for only a few hours and his opinion is as yet incomplete.
    I hate all this waiting, but I've gotten used to it. Best wishes guyz!

16. Joe Cole

Joe Cole Second Unit

Rachael,
    There seems to be two Thomasville's in GA. The one you want(I think is in Thomas Co)is just north of the Fl line and not far from Tallahassee. http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp...a%2bwjcgSpY%3d
    How is that for a link?
    I have been trying to listen to the 777 in the DC area. No one has it on display. I found a 555 model but they had it hooked up through an all digital meridian system. What good is that? If I was going to buy from them I would have pushed the issue.
    The local Tweeter(just opened) has one not on display. One of the salesmen wants to put it on display and is working on it. I heard the 222 and it sound good on SACD. Not good enough, I really want the 777 model but do not like the idea of buying with out hearing.....especially the CD section.
    The following link shows reviews of the Pioneer.
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=119237

17. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

Rachael,
    I picked up the SCD-C555ES from Oade Bros. for $775.00 back in October. I'm as thrilled with it today as the day i unboxed it. Great player!

18. Joe Casey

Rachael, Joe, Keith:
    The 777 is all its said to be plus more (especially on CD), IMO. SO what are you folks waiting for? [​IMG]

19. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Thanks for the geography lesson Joe (Cole). If it's that Thomasville, that's too far out! I'll call them and find out for sure. I want to see and hear the thang too. Maybe I'll find out who is the dealer in Nashville. It's only 180 miles to Music City.
    Chip, that's a great price! I'm tempted to forego some sound quality for the 5 disc changer. But, the audio-vidiot in me keeps telling me, "take Joe Casey's advice and spend way more, get the 777, eat cabbage and macaroni & cheese for a few months...".
    I'm not crazy about buying any of the players I want sight unseen. A trip to Nashville is a'brew'in....The dealer situation just go worse now that Now doesn't have Sony ES! Tanks for the advice guyz!

20. Joe Cole

Joe Cole Second Unit

Joe,

I am waiting for the funds to show up. Sould be late this week or early next week. Of course I still will need to upgrade my Krell HTS to use it. So you say it is very good on redbook cds? How good? What did you use before the 777 for CDs? If you don't mind me asking.....

Your welcome Rachael the cat. Happy motoring. I myself would like to hear the unit before ordering but my do so any way.