Sony scd-ce775 owners - Question on two channel playback

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by anthony_b, Oct 25, 2002.

1. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

What output are you using for redbook ?....The optical or analog ? and why ?...I'm not sure if I should use the units DAC or my Onkyo 575x

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Anthony, you will have to compare the two outputs to see which one you prefer. Some owners of the 'CE775 can tell you what they are doing, but you will have to let your ears decide which output is better. When you try the analog outputs on the 'CE775, just be sure to engage your receiver's analog bypass mode.

3. Eujin

Eujin Supporting Actor

I'm using the analog output on my unit. However, mine's also been heavily modified, so YMMV. That said, before I had my unit modded, I decided that I preferred the analog output anyway. I think the 775 has superior DACs over my Harman/Kardon AVR320. When I used the digital output and let the HK DACs do the decoding, I found the sound too flat and laid back. A lot's going to depend on your personal taste and preferences, so I suggest that you experiment. At the end of the day, I think the redbook performance on a stock 775 isn't worth talking about. Before I had mine modded, I used a separate CD player (NAD C521) for redbook. Good luck.

4. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

5. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

In my opinion unless you get into players that cost above $600 the difference in a players sound performance is not dramatic. The most important component in your sound system should be your speakers...50% of your total budget should be spent on them IMO.[​IMG] ...I know some might disagree with this but, you could spend 5k on your system and if your speakers are not up to par with everything else, your performance is going to suffer.

6. Eujin

Eujin Supporting Actor

JohnG,

I don't know if I'd go so far as to say that my modded 775 now sounds "as good as most hi-end cd players". The universe of hi-end players is a large one and I think that putting $350 worth of mods into a $200 player can only get you so far. I've read other owner reviews of modded 775s, notably on Audio Asylum, that generated a lot of controversy because because they said that it competed with equipment that costs thousands more.

If you're happy with the redbook on your stock 775, I'd just as soon leave that stone unturned--that way upgrading madness lies! For what it's worth, I invested a total of about $550 - $600 into the player all told. At that price point, and up to maybe around the $1000 mark, I think the modded 775 is extremely competitive. At the time, I was considering a stock 555ES and lusting after a Rega Planet 2000 (out of my price range). I already had a stock 775 on hand and was trying to decide whether or not to keep it. Modding it seemed like an intriguing idea so I went for it and haven't looked back. For me, the yardstick is how I feel about the sound. Do I still think about the 555ES? No. Do I still lust after a Planet? Also no. Does this mean that I think those two players are inferior? Definitely not. The mods, for me, have allowed the 775 to go toe-to-toe with its pricier, better-regarded cousins--close enough that advantages and disadvantages fall into personal sonic preferences.

Ever since I got the modded 775 back, I've concentrated on buying more music and improving associated components like interconnects (recently upgraded to Audio Magic Excalibur II) and speaker cables (Mapleshade Golden Helix). At this point, any sub-$1000 player would have to be something pretty special for me to want to upgrade further. Hope this helps.

7. Eujin

Eujin Supporting Actor

8. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Anthony, no question that speakers are very important in a system. However, if you have at least decent speakers, a player can make a significant difference. A bad player is a bad player in almost any system. Here is a situation I always like to relate. A couple of years ago, I was using my home-theater system both for music and movies. A few key components were as follows:
    * Sony STR-V444ES receiver
    * Energy e:XL 16 bookshelf speakers (part of 5.1 arrangement)
    * Sony CDP-CA80ES carousel CD changer
    * Pioneer CLD-D406 LD player
    Out of curiosity one day, I decided to compare the 'CA80ES and 'D406 as transports with Radio Shack optical digital cables. Mind you, this was a very mid-fi system. The difference between the transports was night and day. The 'CA80ES was much, much better than the 'D406. The 'D406 as a transport lacked definition. It was simply awful. So, don't underestimate the importance of the front-end component. [​IMG]

9. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

Keith, how can the D406 be so bad as a tramsport if the player is just passing the 1's and 0's to your reciever ?

I understand that a CD player is more than just it's DAC...what other internal components can alter the sound of a player as much as it's DAC ? (power supply, clock ?)

10. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Anthony,
    There is more to a transport than just passing 1s and 0s. The accuracy of the clock mechanism plays a major role (i.e., minimizing jitter), as does the power supply, quality of the digital section, transport, etc. This is a hot subject of debate in some circles, but I am convinced from personal experience that it is incorrect to say that all transports sound the same.
    Eujin,
    Did you notice that Matthew Anker at www.sacdmods.com is now offering an upgrade to the power supply for the 'CE775? I believe this is new. He is addding a 1-lb. toroidal power supply for just $40 if you get the other mods done at the same time. Perhaps he could add just the power supply to your player. Didn't he do the mods for you?

11. Eujin

Eujin Supporting Actor

Keith,

I know about the power supply mod and there are also the mods to bias the op-amps into Class A operation. I contacted Matthew about them already and I've decided to wait awhile before I go ahead with them, mainly because I don't want to be without my player for the time that it'll be worked on--I'm happy enough with the sound as it is, so I don't feel an overwhelming desire to get the mods done right away. I might get the mods done later in the year, when I'll have family visiting and won't have much time for a lot of serious listening.

12. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

13. Eujin

Eujin Supporting Actor

anthony_b,

Those speakers have been very well received all around--haven't really heard anything negative about them. You should definitely be able to hear differences between different quality source components--at just about any price.

14. Michael Yung

Michael Yung Stunt Coordinator

I use the analog output just to make things compatible with SACD play back. Since the 775 output the same signals for the stereo L/R output as the 6 channel front L/R output, I connect the stereo L/R output from the 775 to the preamp's 6 channel front L/R input and then hook up the surround L/R, center and sub. This way, it doesn't matter if I am playing redbook or SACD, multi-channel or stereo, everything just works.

I think the DAC in the Sony is pretty good. Since I also owned an Onkyo 575x in the past, I would say that the Sony's analog playback is better then the 575x for redbook.

15. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

Michael, do you mean I don't have to use an extra pair of cables when using CD's, I could use the L/R from the 5.1 outputs ? will I get a signal to my sub ?

16. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

17. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

thanks Eujin.
    I better not go there with the mods till I upgrade my speakers.
    I agree that the speakers are very important in a sound system.
    Till I upgrade to Paradigm or B&W, it would be pointless to mod the 775. I use Pinnacle bookshelf speakers. The 775 sounds fine on these speakers. Better speakers may expose the flaws in the 775's Redbook performance.
    As always, its one thing at a time.
    I need to upgrade my TV first, its getting near time to go for a HDTV.[​IMG]

18. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

John, I used to have Pinnacle clasic gold towers...boy I loved those suckers !!

19. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Eujin, fair enough. If I had a 'CE775, I would be very tempted to try out the entire set of Matthew's mods. That would make the total investment around $600. I would love to hear that machine.

20. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter