What's new

Sony SCD-CE775 now only $200! (1 Viewer)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Marc, the drop to $200 has been discussed in other threads on this site. It seems as though the drop to $250 lasted at most a week. I don't get it. I picked one up from J&R Music World for $200 earlier this week. It's a nice player for the price, at least with SACDs. I am using it in a stereo system and haven't tried it with CDs yet. Build quality could be better, but I have come to not expect much from Sony's non-ES components for the most part.

I will ask the Moderators to change the subject of this thread to reflect the price drop to $200.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
I just noticed that Crutchfield is not showing the 'CE775 on its web site. At $200, it probably sold out quickly, but it could be that Crutchfield will not be getting it in again. Time will tell. I have seen Crutchfield take an item off of its web site when it is out of stock, only to put it back up when it comes in again. Anyway, has anyone heard of a replacement for the 'CE775? Dealers are practically giving it away at $200, in my opinion.

Eujin

Supporting Actor
Keith, I wouldn't be surprised if Sony is behind this price drop in order to meet competition from DVD-A--especially when DVD-A capable players have already hit the $200 price-point. In my opinion, Sony should have done this earlier--dump SACD hardware at huge discounts for consumers--because they can always make more money selling SACD software. Hopefully, this is correct and we will begin to see more Sony SACD titles on the market.:D

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I have read that Sony will be replacing the single disc DVD player with SACD with one with progressive scan. I am not sure about this SACD player replacement, though.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Eujin said:

Hopefully, this is correct and we will begin to see more Sony SACD titles on the market.
I certainly hope so. Interestingly, I have not seen the price of the 'CE775 drop at stores. Circuit City and Tweeter stores I have been to still have it for $350.

Marty,

Sony will be replacing the 'NS500V with the 'NS755V. It will offer progressive-scan video output for $300. I'm not sure when it will be out.

David_Rivshin

Second Unit
It does seem like the CE775 is being discontinued, hopefully to be replaced sometime in the near future. If anyone wants a CE775 www.sonystyle.com has them for $200, which seems like a pretty safe place to order sony equipment from ;)
-- Dave

Eujin

Supporting Actor
For the current price, the CE775 just can't be beat. Definitely one of Sony's best budget products, up there with their SA-WM40 subwoofer. I've grown ever fonder of the 775 and will happily recommend it to any friends interested in entry-level SACD performance. I just hope that the dreaded "died a day after warranty ran out" Sony curse doesn't strike...but I'll probably be ready to upgrade by then.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
I guess the only major change we could expect in the replacement for the 'CE775 would be improved bass management for multi-channel SACD (e.g., an adjutable crossover). It is possible that Sony would use better DACs. In any event, I don't expect a replacement model to be significantly better soundwise.

Bobby T

Supporting Actor
I was in best buy today to get a 775 to try out SACD. As luckwould have it they had an open box on a NS500V DVD/SACD player for $109. While I don't need another DVD player I figured for $109 I can try out SACD and now that I know I like it I can get an ES model later. Anybody have any ideas on hooking up DVDA and SACD at the same time?

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Bobby asked:

Anybody have any ideas on hooking up DVDA and SACD at the same time?
I assume you are asking how to handle multi-channel SACD and DVD-Audio when using a receiver or pre/pro with just one set of multi-channel inputs. To avoid switching cables each time I want to switch formats, I use two Radio Shack #15-1952 A/V switch boxes. I bought them for $15 each a few months ago. Some people have said that Radio Shack has discontinued this item, but you might be able to find it at a local store. Importantly, I observe no sound degradation with these switch boxes, even when both audio components are turned on. For more on how some of us implement these switch boxes, search this board for "15-1952".

Eujin

Supporting Actor
Keith, your tip is a very useful one! I just picked up two of these switchers at RadioShack this evening to hook up a JVC XV-SA75 that I picked up from another HTFer and they worked beautifully! They were $14.99 each at my local Shack in Boston (Cambridgeside Galleria for those Bostonians here). Great solution for a potentially thorny problem.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Eujin,

Glad to hear the Radio Shack switch boxes are working well for you.

Bobby,

No problem. Glad to help.

JaleelK

Second Unit
Keith, your tip is a very useful one! I just picked up two of these switchers at RadioShack this evening to hook up a JVC XV-SA75 that I picked up from another HTFer and they worked beautifully! They were $14.99 each at my local Shack in Boston (Cambridgeside Galleria for those Bostonians here). Great solution for a potentially thorny problem.
Wouldn't need to purchase 3 of those things for both fronts

SACD and DVD-A, surround SACD and DVD-A, center/sub SACD and DVD-A, giving enable you to connect two 5.1 channel outputs giving you a total of 12?

David Judah

Screenwriter
There are three inputs on A and three inputs on B per switcher, Jaleel, so with two boxes there are 6 inputs total for each player.
Click this link and click on "owners manual" if you want to see a picture of it.
DJ

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks