Sony SCD-CE775 now only $200!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KeithH, Mar 2, 2002.

1. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

For those of you who have been considering the jump to SACD but have been holding out for lower prices, OneCall and Crutchfield have dropped the price on the Sony SCD-CE775 multi-channel SACD changer to $250. The standard price at Crutchfield, Tweeter, Best Buy, Circuit City, and the like has been $350. I believe OneCall had been selling the 'CE775 for less than $350 all along, so it could be that they are even selling it for less than $250 if you call them (1-800-340-4770). All I know is that OneCall and Crutchfield show it for $250 on their web sites.
    It will be interesting to see if Best Buy, Circuit City, and Tweeter lower the price in the stores. Best Buy doesn't show the 'CE775 on its web site, and Circuit City still shows it for $350 online. In any event, $250 is a great price for a changer that plays both stereo and multi-channel SACDs.
    EDIT: The price of the 'CE775 now is $200. It only sat at $250 for a week at most.

2. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Keith, I bet they all lower the price in the next week or two. The head of the audio dept. at the local Busted Buy told me he had only sold one of them. They're not selling like hotcakes! We all know why... I ordered the 555 friday and I bet I have it by midweek. Best wishes!

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Rachael, I have gotten the impression that SACD software and hardware is not selling well at Best Buy and Circuit City. I have been to some Best Buy stores enough times that I can recognize specific new units by identifying marks on the boxes. I see the same boxes each time I am there. Also, in the several months now that Best Buy has been selling SACDs, I have never seen another person perusing the software shelves. Anyway, maybe the price drop on the 'CE775 to $250 will help matters.

Congratulations on your purchase of the 'C555ES! Let us know how it works out for you. Please refresh my memory. What will you be comparing it to? As memory serves, you have an 'S9000ES. Would you consider that your top audio component? I know you have an 'RP91, but I have read that it is not much of a CD player. That doesn't surprise me, as my Technics DVD-A10 isn't too great in that respect either.

4. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Keith, I was in Circuit City about a month ago to get a DVD that they advertised low. They have have a nicer SACD display than BB here. CC has a stand that suspends five little mini-speakers overhead to demo multi-channel SACD. I stoped and played around with it for awhile and boy did they give me the hard sell, two different salesmen. I got the impression they wished they could sell anybody one.
    SACD's are $16.99 at BB here. CC had all their's marked $18.99 or $19.99. So, I told the second salemen I wanted to buy two discs, but I wanted them to match BB's price. This bozo told me he had to go check on this and disappeared for about 10 minutes. I don't know what this bozo did go smoke a cigarette or drink a cup of coffee. He comes back and sez SACD's are $18.99 at BB. I said sorry, if you can't even honour your low-price guarantee, I won't take the discs. I'll go accross the street... CC just sucks!
    It won't matter that much if all the retailers lower the price of SACD players IMO. The general public has zero intrest in them. This week's advertised special CD player that sells for about $79.99 will walk out of the stores and SACD players will continue to sit. The first time I askd about SACD's at The Disc Exchange, a local CD store, there were four employees behind the counter, none of them knew what I was talking about. The manager walked up from behind and said they weren't going to carry them.
    SACD is going nowhere fast. It's only chance IMO is for Sony to put a CD layer on the discs like all the little labels do. Even that might not help, proably wouldn't, but it would give them a fighting chance... What happened to the other labels who were supposed to release discs?
    It's hard to say what my nicest audio component is, I have so many. HLD-X9, CLD-99, 9000ES, PD-65 < which I'll proably sell. The 555 will rank high I'm sure. The RP91 is a great DVD player. For CD and DVD-A it leaves much to be desired! Best wishes!

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Rachael, I too have been frustrated by the blank stares I have gotten in stores when asking about SACD. I'm tired of it. As for Circuit City, I never thought to ask if they would match Best Buy's prices on SACDs. I always figured the price-match guarantee was geared towards advertised merchandise. Anyway, what Circuit City pulled on you by saying that Best Buy sells SACDs for $18.99 sucks. You did the right thing by walking out. They insulted your intelligence. That's reason enough for me to leave empty-handed.

There certainly are people who will buy the Symphonic or RCA carousel changers for $60-100, but there are also plenty of people who will buy nothing but Sony. The price drop on the 'CE775 could attract some attention, but for $130, one can buy the CDP-CE375 CD changer. Also, for $300, one can buy the CDP-CX400 400-disc CD megachanger. As a result, the 'CE775 could still be a tough sell. The key point is that the masses still don't know what SACD is. Frankly, for Sony to get SACD to fly with the masses, they really need to provide no alternative (an advertising push wouldn't hurt either). If every Sony CD and DVD player offered SACD playback, and if every disc Sony Music put out from this point forward were a CD/SACD hybrid, then maybe SACD would make it. Obviously, it doesn't look like Sony is moving in that direction too quickly.

As for other front-end components, I knew you had some high-end LD players, but I wasn't sure how they stacked up with CDs. I too have the PD-65, and I use it in my second system, where I also have a Sony SCD-C333ES. The 'C333ES sees more use with the CDs than the PD-65, but I just used the PD-65 today. It's a great player, and I won't part with it. Truthfully, I feel the 'C333ES is a bit better as a CD player, but I still like the PD-65.

Sorry to hear that you are not too pleased with the 'RP91 as a DVD-Audio player. I am happy with the Technics DVD-A10, but if DVD-Audio ever were to gain momentum, I would consider upgrading, though I'm not sure what to. I am eager to hear what the Pioneer Elite DV-47A can do (with SACDs too).

6. Matthew_Judd

Matthew_Judd Extra

I was wondering if the SCD-CE775 has bass management or not? Or is that just an issue with DVD-A players? I was thinking about getting this player for my CD's and the RP-91 to play DVD's. That way I'll have both SACD and DVD-A [​IMG].
    BTW what is wrong with the DVD-A playback on the RP91?

7. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Matthew, all Sony multi-channel SACD players, including the 'CE775, have limited bass management. You can choose from a list of speaker configurations (small vs. large speakers, subwoofer or no subwoofer), but you cannot dial in a crossover frequency. Some have said that the crossover frequency on Sony's multi-channel SACD players is fixed at 120 Hz, which is high. Still, I suppose some bass management is better than none, but it depends on the type of speakers you have.

8. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Screenwriter

That's my luck....I have been price shopping this very unit and the best price I could find was $299, so I eBayed one yesterday for $259.50.
    [​IMG]

9. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Matthew, I only have 11 DVD-A discs and haven't bought one in quite some while. My RP91 came with the original firmware and wouldn't play Boz Scagg's DIG or Aaron Neville's DEVOTION. I upgraded the player's firmware and it will now play DEVOTION but stille won't play DIG. I used to have the JVC 723 and it handled both discs very well. All DVD-A players have a problem with bass management due to the infinite "wisdom" of ze lords of software denying us proper digital connections. Anyway, the 723's bass management was lacking, but better than the RP91's, me thinks. I think that the RP91's software for playing DVD-A discs is inherently weak. Anyway, I'm liking SACD better than DVD-A at this point. I could change my mind about that though.

Keith, I love the HLD-X9 for my 50, or so, music LD's! I always use it's analog out's for music LD's. I'd say it's the sonic equivalent of the DV-AX10. I've played around with the AX10 at a local dealer several times. I was strongly considering ordering the Japanese AX10, region-free of course, out of Hong Kong last september. I decided against it because of the advent of multi-channel SACD. The AX10 and X9 are cosmetic matches and would of looked nice together... I like the PD-65 and it cosmetically matches my old Elite stuff in my bedroom system but when the 9000ES moves in there, it'll be redundant.I'm either going to sell it or take it to my mom's house and insert it into her living room stereo.

I hate Circuit City! They've pissed me off so many times over the years. Back when they were Dixie Hi-Fi and the first few years they were CC, I loved them. When they dumped all the washing machines and frigerators, I thought they might recapture some of their former glory, guess again! NOT!!!! Nothing changed in their stereo department here at either location, same old same old shit. The computer departments just expanded.

If Sony gives up on SACD in a few years, I hope SACD lives on as an audiophile format. Most of my favourite discs are small label stuff I got from Acoustic Sounds anyway. I like blues and jazz and there are some great releases in those veins. I love the CD layer so I can take the discs where I want too including the MD recorder's digital input too. Sony, seemingly, has no idea how to market in the U.S.! I'm told they do better elsewhere. I feel certain that the SACD will follow the Minidisc's trail down the yellow brick road. I hope not... Sony and the other four music majors continue to act obliviously in respect to their common, fundemental problem, over-pricing.

SACD's just like CD's are way over-priced. Everytime they lose market share, they raise prices some more, which means they'll lose more market share... The music industry has lost it's way. I wonder how much worse it can get? Geez, I waundered off the subjet sort of but sort of not.

10. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Rachael,

Your experiences with the 'RP91 are inexcusable in my opinon. My Technics DVD-A10, a predecessor to your 'RP91 from Matsushita, plays the Aaron Neville Devotion DVD-Audio disc just fine.

Sounds like the HLD-X9 is a killer component. I'm not doing LD anymore, as I sold all my discs, the CLD-D406, and the Sony MOD-RF1 demodulator a few months ago. I wasn't using the player, so I got about $500 for everything.

I have been hoping from the get-go that Sony will do a better job marketing SACD than they have some of their other proprietary formats. Truthfully, I am concerned about where SACD is heading. Sony really needs to open the floodgates with respect to software.

When Circuit City dumped appliances, all they did was expand the computer department. They did nothing with audio or home theater. So, they still sell $hit. Something that annoys me about Circuit City is that they raised the price of the Roger Waters In the Flesh -- Live SACD set from $28.99 to $34.99. Fortunately, I bought it there for $28.99 a couple of months ago, but it is disappointing to see them raise the price. As an SACD, it's not like it was flying off the shelves at $28.99, so why raise the price? It's not like it was mismarked for a couple of days or a week. They had it for $28.99 for a couple of months. That plus the fact that they are more expensive than Best Buy on SACDs just sucks. Of course, Circuit City's selection of SACDs is paltry. It makes Best Buy's selection look vast.

I'm sure you won't have any difficulties selling the PD-65 if you decide to try. It typically sells on Audiogon for $350-400.

All,

I was in a Circuit City store in the Philly area today and saw the 'CE775 on sale for $332. Hopefully Circuit City will drop it down to $250 soon.

11. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

Goog Guys in So Cal already dropped the price on this player to $249.00,which means BB and CC won't be far behind.

12. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Lewis, thanks for the info. Hopefully the 'CE775 will sell well at $250.

13. Jeff D

Jeff D Supporting Actor

I just picked up the 775 from goodguys last weekend while they were having a sale, no shipping, no tax. $249 delivered. Well... then I noticed Vanns had it for $179 with a 10% off sale free shipping too. So I called back the GG and they matched the price. My only question now is do I still get the $25 discount that I was previously getting? I hope so, but doubt it. Maybe they'll let me spend $20 so I can get a discount of $25. =)

14. rodneyH

rodneyH Supporting Actor

Keith, speaking of CC, my wife went to get me the Roger Waters SACD at CC just before x-mas, she is looking at the disc and the salesman says "that is not a regulate CD", my wife says, "I know", he says "No, you don't understand, that is not for a NORMAL cd player", my wife says "I know that", he says "No, really, It isn't a regular CD, and if you take it home and open it, you can't bring it back", my wife says "I KNOW!!!! it is a multi channel Super Audio Compact Disc", I am actually sort of glad she didn't mention that she was buying it for her "husband" (me), it makes the salesman sound so much more stupid with his attitude.

btw, you mention that the A10 is not much of a CD player, I use my 222 and A10 as cd players, I haven't done a comparo, but would you guess the 222 is much better, I have read that some people that use the A10 as a transport have had some good success with it???

15. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Rodney, I would expect the 'C222ES to be a better CD player than the 'A10 when using the analog outputs on both, though I haven't done the comparison. The 'A10 certainly isn't the worst CD player I have used, but CD replay isn't its strength. I find the sound to be a bit muddy and lacking in focus. As a result, I never use it with CDs. I wouldn't be surprised if the 'A10 were a reasonable transport, however. Build quality is very good there. The transport is very solid. If you do compare the 'C222ES and 'A10, I'd be curious to hear the results.

16. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

Keith, you've been hanging out with the boys over at Audio Asylum too much, so of course you don't think a player that has a video section in it could be good for CD playback. [​IMG]
    Rodney, I did compare the 222 and the A10 with the Pioneer 47A for redbook and I thought the Sony and the Technics were a little more detailed in the high end. The Pioneer was a little warmer sounding as a result. I preferred the Sony & Technics, but it would boil down to a personal preference thing--everyone has different tastes.
    In general I don't think DVD players are as good of audio pieces as CD players at a given price, but IMO, the Technics is one of the exceptions(as is the Sony 9000ES), because it was designed with audio in mind. Actually, the design was weighted toward the audio end because video playback is nothing but average.
    That said, I do hope they come out with some higher end DVD-A players. As it stands now more work is going into the video sections. I think many perceive SACD as better because the players are better for audio from a design standpoint(CE 775 excluded). As a result, many who are really into audio, won't give DVD-A a chance. It's unfortunate because DVD-A has the potential to be just as good as SACD.
    I enjoy both formats and I hope they thrive.
    DJ

17. DaleV

DaleV Agent

Has anyone here purchased anything from this source. I just received quotes on the following items. Sony SCD-CE775-$169.00,Sony DVP-NC650V $249.00,Panasonic RP91BK $439.00. Interested in their reliability and reputation. Thanks. http://www.video-direct.com/

18. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

David,
    In my experience, DVD players don't hold their own with CDs relative to comparably priced CD players. Now, at higher price points, DVD players can serve as good CD players. My local high-end dealer has the Rotel RDV-1080, Integra RDV-1, and Integra DPS-9.1. They are all good CD players to my ear, though I did not compare them directly to comparably priced CD players. I would be hesitant to spend that much on a DVD player without comparing the candidates to lesser expensive DVD players, which are quite good on the video side, and comparably priced CD players on the audio side. I also feel some of the lower-priced DVD-Audio players are quite capable of demonstrating the benefits of this high-resolution format, so again, I would be hesitant to buy a higher-priced model.
    The Technics DVD-A10 is not a bad CD player, in my opinion, but it is not as good as some of the other players I have. I do agree with you that more consideration was given to audio in designing the 'A10 when compared to most DVD players, especially when one considers that the 'A10 sold a year ago for $400. It was an absolute steal.
    By the way, I am envious since you have a job that allows you to compare these components and even look under the hood. Very cool. [​IMG] [​IMG] I assume you get discounts.
    Dale,
    I have never ordered from video-direct.com, but I have read good things about them. I've heard it said that they are an authorized Sony dealer. They do have excellent prices, but I'm not sure if they sell Sony ES gear now that I think about it.

19. Eujin

Eujin Supporting Actor

Speaking of DVD players for CD playback, I read a pretty good review of the DVP-NS900V on www.tnt-audio.com recently. Does anyone have this and can they confirm? I'm thinking of replacing my RP-56 and at the moment, I'm considering getting a RP-91 so I can DVD-A as well, but if the 900V is a good performer, I might pick that up instead (easier to find).

20. Marc_E

Marc_E Supporting Actor

The price has now dropped AGAIN at crutchfield to $199!!!!

Marc