Sony SCD-C555ES Bass Management?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joe-T, Mar 11, 2002.

1. Joe-T

Joe-T Stunt Coordinator

Does this SACD player offer bass management with redbook CDs? I was planning on using it with the TA-P9000ES which has no bass management, so, when playing two channel SACD and redbook CDs, will the SACD player appropriately redirect bass to the sub, or will it only give full range two channel sound to the main speakers?

2. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Joe, I haven't had my 555 for even a week yet, so I'm not so experienced yet. There are two sets of analog outputs, a stereo pair and a set of 5.1 outputs. I have both hooked up. There's the optical and co-axe digital out for CD too. I'm not using either of the digital outputs. I'm getting more bass on SACD using the stereo pair. The manual's section on the SACD bass management system is truly abysmal. I fooled with the settings for awhile last thursday night and was never satisfied I even fully understood how it works. I'm going to delve back into it soon.
    It's my impression that the best bass management would be one of the outboard units. I may eventually get the Outlaw unit. Sony has the P-9000ES unit they designed for use with your pre. Some guy in Grand Rapids has a bunch of them on e-bay at present. Some are starting at $299 and some at $399. They're $599 at Crutchfield. I think the Outlaw unit is $299 and seems like a safe bet. I'd be inclined to go for it.
    I'm stille expeimenting with my unit and only 6 of my 32 SACD's are multi-channel so I'm not in a hurry to make a move. I'm suprised nobody else has chimed in! There are several owners on this forum. I think the 555's CD playback is very good too, although I've only played a few. My pre let's analog signals pass unprocessed even thru the stereo inputs, so I see no need to hook up digital connections at all. Best wishes!

3. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Joe, the 555ES offers bass management for SACD ONLY. It does not offer bass management for Redbook via the Analog L/R outputs. It will transfer the full signal to your receiver/processor and bass management for these sources will have to be accomplished there.

For both 2 and 5 channel SACD's the player offers bass management but the manual does not specify what frequency the crossover is set at. I've heard on Audio Asylum that the crossover is either 100Htz or 120Htz, but these are just guesses and I haven't had time to tweek my system to guesstimate where the actual cutoff is.

Hope that helped.

4. Joe-T

Joe-T Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the information. That's exactly what I needed to know.