What's new

Sony SCD-C222ES too big (1 Viewer)

BenK

Stunt Coordinator
I've been reading about cd player recommendations here mostly from KeithH for awhile and narrowed it down to the NAD c541i and Rotel RCD-02. I never considered or liked a changer but based on recommendations also by KeithH I went ahead and ordered the Sony. I didnt have a chance to audition all three at a store but I figured I couldnt go wrong with any of them. But as an after thought about two hours after I ordered the scd-c222es I thought I would measure to see how well it would fit with the rest of my gear. On Onecall's site they list the depth at 14 something inches but everywhere else it lists 17 some inches. Basically WAY too large to fit...anywhere. I'm pretty disappointed since it seemed like an excellent player. I've never had a cd changer so I didnt even consider the size issue. I tried to cancel my order but it had already shipped. I'm still going to give it a try but if someone can confirm the depth for me and/or recommend either the NAD or Rotel I'd greatly appreciate it.

KeithH, thanks for the recommendations by the way.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
My 555ES is 15" deep. I think the 222 is about the same. Your rack is awfully small if these decks wouldn't fit. Would you be taking recomendations on a new rack?;) Best wishes!

Matthew Anker

Stunt Coordinator
Check out one of the Sanus Euro series racks. I just got one from Sound seller (the four shelf one) for $219.00. It's got more than enough room for my 222ES.

I can get you Ron's email address if you want to check one out.

BenK

Stunt Coordinator
I got my changer today and it turned out to have a depth of around 15". Still large but it fits and more importantly it sounds excellent. Great depth and clarity. I'm confident I made the right choice.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Ben, I was glad to help. Also, I am very glad to hear that you are happy with the 'C222ES. The 'C222ES is taller than a lot of carousel CD changers out there, but I'm not sure it is deeper than most. Note that single-disc players tend to have a smaller footprint than carousel changers.

If you feel that the 'C222ES is kind of snug in your component rack, you might not be giving it enough headspace for heat dissipation. For that reason, a new rack might be in order. Give it some thought.

Lin Park

Second Unit
What should one expect to pay roughly for the 222ES and the 555ES these days and where are the sites with stock?

Thanx,
Lin

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Lin, the 'C222ES and 'C555ES have recently sold through authorized mail-order dealers for around $350 and $600 delivered, respectively. Unfortunately, I am not sure if the usual suspects -- Oade Bros., J&R Music World, and OneCall -- still have them. The 'C222ES might be easier to find than the 'C555ES based on some comments others have made here. Some have mentioned finding the 'C555ES on eBay and Audiogon.

WarrenCo

Agent
I ordered the 555 from J & R today. You cound get one for a bit less than $600 including shipping.

Good luck

Warren

BenK

Stunt Coordinator
Lin, I got my c222es a last Friday from One Call for $375 which included $40 overnight shipping (Labor day weekend). I was given a price of $325 at Oades but his overnight shipping was much more expensive. By the way, what would guys recommend for break in time on these if any?

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Ben, many people say that Sony players need 400 hours with CDs and 400 hours with SACDs to break in. I have not observed break-in on any of my SACD players, but that could be a function of my listening habits. In any event, I do not recommend you try breaking in the 'C222ES by running it in repeat mode continuously, as I feel it is bad for the player. Just let it run during normal use, and if it breaks in it breaks in. If it doesn't, it doesn't.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks