Sony SCD-C222ES now shipping

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gil D, Sep 10, 2001.

1. Gil D

Gil D Supporting Actor

Crutchfield is now showing them in stock.
    Anyone have a chance to audition this player and compare it to the 333es, 555es, or CE775 players? I have the CE775 SACD changer and considering upgrading to the ES unit.

2. Mike Matheson

Mike Matheson Second Unit

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Gil, as Mike said, check out Audio Asylum. One owner of the 'C222ES and 'C333ES said the 'C222ES is the better player in stereo mode. That amazes me. I own the 'C333ES, and it is a fabulous unit (no multi-channel SACD, of course). The 'C222ES retails for $400 less than the 'C333ES originally retailed for and isn't built as well, so I would be surprised if the 'C222ES were better. Maybe it is.
    Awhile back, an owner of both the 'C333ES and 'CE775, whom I trust, said on Audio Asylum that the 'C333ES was far superior in stereo mode. Now, all of what I have related from Audio Asylum is anecdotal, but based on what I have read and by what I have come to expect from Sony, I would consider the 'C222ES to be a significant step up from the 'CE775. The 'C222ES retails for twice as much as the 'CE775, so it should be much better. I am looking at the 'C222ES as my entry into multi-channel SACD. The early reviews, build quality, and ES five-year warranty make it an attractive piece.
    ------------------
    My:
    HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
    KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime