What's new

Sony says "NO" to WITCHFINDER GENERAL DVD, Midnite Movies in serious trouble! (1 Viewer)

Jeff Swindoll

Supporting Actor

Ditto Richard. One of the major selling points, for me at least, was the $14.95 (meaning it could be found online for $9) price. I sure dont think those pirate movies are worth $19, even for two.

What exactly do we get for the $5 price increase??? Maybe they should've made the TRIPLE features?

Bradley-E

Screenwriter

Don't forget about them creating BLU-RAY to go against HDDVD. So you have to make a choice. They are really f--kers! I hate Sony.

Anthony Thorne

Supporting Actor
I'll be giving Sony time to ramp up the release schedule a little. If they're releasing Midnight Movies on a quarterly basis, it won't be long before they have a second batch announced, and then a third...

I know that Sony have their long-mooted Bond remasters out later this year. If they don't get those three restored Leone titles out before Christmas though, something is seriously wrong.

richardWI

Second Unit

Yeah, the draw for me as well was the price point. I dug the line because it offered cool B-movies at B-movie prices. Around 5 bucks per shlock horror film is almost perfect. I like cult and camp horror movies, but most of them I wouldn't pay more than 5 bucks for.

Anyone here impressed with their announced Double Dip... uhh, I mean "Extended Cut" line?

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

not yet they haven't. The 'superiority' of their format remains conjecture at this point, and will for several months.
And that also hinges on them getting the issues with BD 50s ironed out- so at launch and probably for a while afterwards, the competing format will actually have more space and be using a more efficent codec-

but even asuming that all of Sonys grandiose plans for Bd come to fruition, the fact remains that Sony is the one movie studio with a vested interest in the formats success. So the same pool of boneheads that are mucking up their DVD profile with enthusiasts are going to be driving HD.

That doesn't really make a lot of us feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Bradley-E

Screenwriter

Well, Yes. I have spent the past almost 10 years creative a DVD library, before that a Laserdisc library. Now there are 2 new formats fighting for our $$$, HD DVD and Blu-Ray. So now I have to eventually get a new HD TV and a new player for whichever format kicks in because I am told the current formats of Television and DVD will be obsolete in the near future.

Hell yes it is irratating.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott

I own every Midnite Movie released but if I had to pay $15 then I wouldn't have even half of them. Normally those two pirate discs coming out would be bought but at $15 each, that's just too much for blind buys for bad B films. I think the quote should have been "to get more out of the fans". I don't see what they're getting out of the "titles" by raising the price.

walter o

Supporting Actor
I think the additional 5 dollars is that fact Sony doesnt want to put both films in one disc but rather two seperate discs, so that way they can also sell it individually.

Many of us pay 19.99 to 24.99 MSRP for DVD's from niche labels of similar films, I guess when DDD has the 20% off sale, the new prices woun't be that bad, still miss the old price but the old saying goes "nothing last forever".

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
---
What Mr. Bishop REALLY meant was: "There will be a slight price hike as a way to get more out of the fans wallets"

Well, SONY has made a lot of bad choices lately-which is why they are doing poorly financially-in other words they are CLUELESS.

Why cant these corp-speak b*stards be honest for a change...
Just come out and say "Were greedy-screw you -we just want your money-" for a change.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Aren't the films going to be priced at $20 per double feature (before discounts)? If so, that will work out to probably something like $14.95 on sale, or $7.50 per movie....

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member

I would love to see THE GORGON and THE BLACK ROOM(1935) released. Also, perhaps Sony can finally release A STUDY IN TERROR under the Midnite Movies banner.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
A price increase on double features wouldn't trouble me, but the Midnight Movies line has primarily consisted of single, not double features for most of its existence.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks