sony sawm500 problems...help

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by joe_, Jul 3, 2005.

1. joe_

joe_ Auditioning

i had the sub hooked up via speaker wire to my old htib system. yesterday, i bought a new jvc dvd player with an rca out for the subwoofer. got it home and unhooked the speaker wire and plugged in the rca cable and got no sound. i would turn the sub off then turn it back on and get sound for about 3 seconds. the sub would then click and the power light would stay on, but no sound. i tried hooking it back up to the old system and its doing the same thing. anyone had this problem or know a fix? thanks in advance for any help.

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    If I understand you correctly, you connected the sub directly to the DVD player. This will not work. The signal needs to be passed through a receiver or preamp stage first to handle volume and x-over settings (as applicable), so if your receiver does not have a sub pre-out, you'll have to go back to your previous setup. If it does, then you can connect the player via analog or digital to the receiver and use the receiver's sub pre-out.

3. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast

Clint
    Joe - If the DVD player has RCA outs on the back for r/l mains, center, r/l surround and sub, these are analog preouts and must be connected to a receiver or preamp. As John said, they will not work and may damage your speakers if hooked directly without processing.

4. joe_

joe_ Auditioning

sorry for this misinfo, the dvd player has a reciever built into it. it like a htib without the speakers. actual model is a jvc rx-dv31.

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    In that case, you probably need to look at the unit's speaker setup and tell it sub=yes, and set the rest of the speakers to small. Hopefully it will be as simple as that.

6. MichaelPR

MichaelPR Second Unit

I had this sub and moded the hell out of it! Not bad for the $75 I paid for it....but man is there nothing like an SVS

7. joe_

joe_ Auditioning

i turned the sub on in the dvd menu, but what i dont get is that even the old system it worked fine on is producing the same results. sound for a couple of seconds and then it kicks off. i have to turn the sub off and wait a few seconds and then turn it back on to get it to work for a couple of more seconds.

8. brendy

brendy Agent

Since it's doing the same thing on both systems try checking out the sub itself.

9. joe_

joe_ Auditioning

what do i check? the only switch on the sub is the phase switch (normal or reverse) and controls for the gain and freq response.