What's new

Sony SAWM40? (1 Viewer)

Marc*F

Stunt Coordinator
I can hopefully get a Sony SAWM40 quite cheap, but was wondering the year it was brought out? I understand it is a year or two old now?

And in advance i hear about the polyfil mod for this sub, how much do i put in?

There is also another mod to make the cone abit heavier or something with some special paint?.....

thanks

Jeff Braddock

Second Unit
I modded my WM40 a while back. I put about 16 oz. (rough estimate) in the box. It did take a bit of the boominess out, but it still doesn't hit the low notes (mine drops off steeply after about 30 Hz). It is beneficial to do this mod, but don't expect it to turn your sub into an SVS or anything.

As far as the other mod(s), I can't speak to their effectivness as I have never tried them.

Marc*F

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks, approx how much polyfil should i use?

Also i have noticed the mod podge mod to help a little...3 layers on the front and two on the back? do i use a special applicator for this?

Marc*F

Stunt Coordinator
Just some more questions about the SONY SAWM40 which i finally got....my thoughts on it is that it is quite boomy as people have said....but not bad for the price :) gonna get some polyfil today and see how that goes...

A question about the sub enclosure, has any measured the internal volume and port and worked out what the sub box is tuned too? and box volume?

I hear of people replacing the sub...but i would like to know the volume and port tune before i would...also is that sony sub 4 ohm or 8 ohm?

Jeff Braddock

Second Unit
RE: Ohms... "POWER OUTPUT AND TOTAL HARMONIC DISTORTION: With 8 ohm loads, from 20 - 170 Hz; rated 120 watts, minimum RMS power, with no more than 0.8% total harmonic distortion from 250 milliwatts to rated output." - WM40 Manual pg. 11.

Marc*F

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks, 8 ohms then....i take it this amp probably wouldnt handle or like an 4ohm load would it? :)

Marc*F

Stunt Coordinator
Just thought I'd share my thoughts on the Sony SAWM40 now that i have modded it with some polyfil.

When i first got the sub my first impressions from hearing it was that it wasn't too good...quite boomy as people have said, I am quite suprised at how it sounds better with the polyfil, less boom and i'm not sure if i am imagining it but slightly more bass extention...more so that i feel it now then hear it....it has improved :)

Also playing test tones this sub doesn't get below 35hz too well...or maybe its just my ears.

One more thing, the auto on/off seems to take quite a abit of a signal to switch it on....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks