Sony SAWM40 question

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Kevinkall, Jan 6, 2004.

1. Kevinkall

Kevinkall Second Unit

Since I've seen a few recent posts on the Sony SAWM40 sub, I thought I'd post a question that has been bugging me.

I set my Sony SAWM40 sub up using an SPL meter and my receivers test tones(Kenwood 6070). In order for my sub to be matched with my other speakers(Paradigms) it has to be set at -5 on the receiver with the level on the sub at bout 1 o'clock. It this too low? I feel like I might be missing some bass. Any help would BE GREAT! THANKS!

2. Ian-Fl

Ian-Fl Second Unit

I came to the conclusion that a SPL meter should be used as a guide.
    When I first balanced my system's volume levels, I didn't like the sound.
    I've since changed my settings by a couple of DB's over time. My sub is 2DB's louder than my mains. My surrounds (probably because I like to listen to music mostly from the front) is 2DB's less than my mains, and my center is 2db's louder because I find the center not as strong as my mains in fullness of sound.
    Change your settings the way you like it.
    I've read articles by professionals who don't even use SPL meters to balance the sound quality of theaters. They replay excerpts over and over again from films tweaking ever so slightly the sound here and there.

3. Kevinkall

Kevinkall Second Unit

Thanks for the reply.

I tried setting everything up by ear and it didn't sound right. So I then used a SPL meter and the receivers test tones and everything sounds ALOT more balanced. I'm just having a hard time getting my sub setup properly. The more that I read the more I get confused.

4. Alex_P

Alex_P Stunt Coordinator

Kevin,

For the sub, I would leave the gain knob as about 35% to 45%, and change the receiver level of your sub to balance out your system. Enjoy!

Al,

5. Kevinkall

Kevinkall Second Unit

I thought that would cause more distortion(?). I'll give it a whirl...THANKS.

6. keir

keir Stunt Coordinator

most people set the bass way too high when they calibrate by ear. it takes a while to get used to a calibrated setup. if you like more bass of course there's no problem with turning it up. a lot of people like to set their subwoofer 3 or 5 dB above the other speakers so they still get loud bass without having to listen with the master volume turned up really high.

7. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

FYI: Read over Stuart M. Robinson April 1997 on-line article (for SMR-Home-Theatre.org) "Sub-woofer Purchasing, Positioning and Calibration" for some relative background INFO.

Afterwards, read over Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity April, 2000 on-line Feature Article: "The Misunderstood 0.1 LFE Channel of 5.1 Digital Surround Sound" by Brian Florian.

Both articles will provide a knowledge-base to understand why we HTer's have a powered-sub in the overall sound reproduction chain!

Phil

8. Ray_C

Ray_C Stunt Coordinator

Also, keep in mind that bass/LFE levels on different material is all over the place. Oftentimes, you may feel that different DVD's or CD's may need more or less bass than what your 'balanced' levels provide. I find that there is much more variation in bass levels than the other channels in an HT setup. For example, when playing LOTR (1 & 2), I have to turn my sub (JBL PB10) down to about 9 o'clock, whereas for many other movies, it's up around 10:30. With music, I usually put it up around 11:30. On most HT receivers, you can also adjust the output to the sub from the receiver, which could be a convinient way of doing it, i.e. setting the level for each different input.

9. Kevinkall

Kevinkall Second Unit

Thanks for all the help!