sony sawm20 or yamaha yst 105

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Hernan H, Mar 8, 2003.

1. Hernan H

Hernan H Auditioning

I´ve made another post today.
    This is my problem: my cousin will bring me from USA ( Im from argentina) any sub BUT i has to weigh no more than aprox 20 lbs.
    i think the sony and yamaha are my options , or they could bring me a sub and an amplifier kiy, BUT, any DIY will cost me 200-300 and it´s double the 80-100 of the yamaha or sony

thanks in advance!!!!
    Hernan

2. Jose G

Jose G Supporting Actor

Hernan,
    Since no one else has responded to this thread I'll give you my thoughts on the matter. Keep in mind that I am not familiar at all with that Yammy sub, but if it's less than 20 lbs., I imagine it being compatible with that Sony sub you're referring to. So here it goes:
    A lot depends on what you are going to use this sub for and what you're current set up is. For example, if this sub is for your computer or something like that to give your sound a little boom and you are in a tiny space- then you may be satisfied with either of these small subs. You are probably not going to get any real low extension with these subs but the boom they create (again depending on your situation) may trick your mind into filling in the lows that may not really be there and satisfy your needs anyway. Again, this depends on your current set up. For example, If your main speakers are tiny and don't go much below 120Hz or something, these little subs may be great for you- as long as they play up to the 120 in this example, and therefore, the subs will actually help you out. But, if your mains go down to let's say 50Hz and your subs only really go down to 40Hz- these subs may not be worth it at all. I personally, if possible, would spend the extra cash on a DIY kit and get much more bang for my buck in any other situation other than the ones I mentioned above. I hope this helps. Good luck!
    José

3. David_Stein

David_Stein Second Unit

im guessing that no subwoofer that weighs 20lbs or less is going to be worth the money, especially if its a powered sub.

4. GregLee

GregLee Stunt Coordinator

I think the Sony SA-WM20 goes down below 40Hz by a fair amount, judging from listening to the 200-20Hz frequency sweep on the HTT dvd. Sony's spec says it goes down to 28Hz.

You know, I think you ought to be careful about offering advice when you haven't heard either sub, looked at reviews, or consulted the manufacturer's specification.

5. Jose G

Jose G Supporting Actor

Greg,
    Your usage of the pronoun "you" makes it unclear to whom your statement is directed. If it was directed towards me, please reread my post. Otherwise, have a good one.
    José

P.S. If it was directed to me- I stand by my post!
    I also would have to tend to agree with David for the most part-until someone can prove otherwise, especially in the context of this forum where bang for your buck sub is what most people are looking for- even if it means spending a little more.
    Take good care!

6. Hernan H

Hernan H Auditioning

people: i´ve create this thread because i live in argentina (south amnerica) and my cousin will bring me any speaker from USA till 20-22 lbs, no more, in fact, he will bring me a 20-22 lbs package,no matter if it´s a subwofer or an ice machine!!! ( i preffer the sub!!!)
    so, my problem is the weight!!!
    don´t fight like i´ve read above!!!
    all your comentaries are valids and i apreciate all of them!!

thnaks!! Hernan

7. Jose G

Jose G Supporting Actor

Hernan,
    I don't think it's a fight- really. It's actually part of what I think makes this forum so great. I don't like to pick fights- believe me, but I will defend my position if I think I am correct as to what I've posted. It's important that we all do that, don't you think? But then- i'm not even sure his post was directed to me, anyway. As far as your subs are concerned, the Sony's big brother (the wm40) is well respected by many here- usually after mods. I've heard both the wm20 and the wm40 and feel they are on the boomy side, with that little WM20 being more boomy, indeed. I don't think it will go as low as the specs say- for these specs really mean very little when it comes to subs. There are much less strict guidelines as to what sub makers need to post in their specs as compared to, let's say, receiver manufacturers or even speaker manufacturers. Anyway, you mentioned DIY and I though you might have researched an option that would allow your cousin to bring in the parts for that instead. If that is the case, I would go with that over either of the subs you mentioned (again, as I said the first time- depending on your needs), because you will most likely get much greater bang for your buck. In other words- a sub that can go lower and louder than either of the two you are thinking of. If you need to find out about the weight of drivers and amps, I would suggest you try the DIY section and pose the question there to see if it comes to less than the 20lbs your cousin could bring in. You would have to build the enclosure yourself then, of course. I know that Partsexpress.com has a great amp that only weighs 12 lbs for about $119 shipped. Have him bring in a 12" driver with that, you make the box and bang! There's a sub that those you mentioned can't touch! It will take some work and visits to the DIY forum, but it can be done. Is it within your budget- I don't know. By the way, if it comes down to the Sony wm20 and that Yammy- keep in mind that the Yammy has more power to drive its 8" woofer than the Sony does. So if they were about the same in terms of performance or how they sounded to the ear (which I couldn't say- as I have never heard that Yammy), I would go with the Yammy just for that, keep in mind, this is only my opinion and given with the best intentions to help you out. Good luck in your decision. Take care. José

8. Scott Kriefall

Scott Kriefall Second Unit

Scott
    I don't believe you'd be able to find a decent 12-inch (or even 10-inch) woofer that weighs less than 10 lbs. Thus, an amp plus a woofer would almost certainly exceed the 22 lb weight limit. If you can manage it somehow (i.e. separate packages, or whatever), then the results would definitely be vastly superior to the Sony and Yamaha subs.

Also, if you decide to go for the Sony or Yamaha, be certain to verify that the reported weight includes the box and packaging materials. Those could easily add a few additional pounds, and it'd be a drag if you didn't realize this until after you purchase the sub.

9. GregLee

The weight I reported for the Sony SA-WM20, 10kg, does not include box or packing. Just the sub itself.

10. Mike Up

Mike Up Second Unit

I have the Sony subwoofer. Got it at Best Buy on a sale for $90(a whole whopping $10 off of MSRP[​IMG] ).

For the money the sub can't be beat. I've never thought much of Yamaha subs, or for that matter, even their speakers.

However this sub has some large shortcomings. There's virtual no shielding in the electronics and it picks up all RF noise. I have it in my bedroom. Image it's 2:00 am and your the only one in the room, sleeping. All of a sudden, you hear a man's voice, but as a whisper and it continues. Yes, this happened to me and I was lookin' for the gun! It turns out this subwoofer was picking up a CB conversation. Scared the shit out of me. Since it's a smaller 8" woofer, this interference bypasses the crossover and goes way up into the high bass and/or midrange frequencies and is "VERY" clear.

Now for the other shortcoming, it has no auto on feature. So it must stay on at all time and by this, it's always picking up interference and 'talking' CB language.[​IMG]

Enough about it's very talkative personality.

Sound wise, I can say that it goes down to a good 40Hz but rolls off quickly after. Since I have a Velodyne CT-100 that's very strong to 30hz, I have a reference. The Sony goes no where as deep as the Velodyne sub.

Also the Sony is a bit boomy and great care is needed to get the ideal position to down play this. However, I've heard subs costing 3X the price and not offering any better performance, except perhaps noise shielding. [​IMG]

I use the sub with the speaker level inputs since I'm using it with an older Pioneer Prologic receiver in the bedroom. I bought the cheaper Sony 100 bookshelf speakers with it. The 3 piece system only being $140. Pretty good bargain except the bookshelf speakers are a little lacking.

Overall, I can't seem to remember getting better bass capability from a better sub even costing $200. Thankfully the off/on button is right on the front panel, making it very easy to turn on and off since it has no auto switch.

Hope this helps.

11. GregLee

I've never heard any CB or other spurious signals from the SA-WM20. Maybe because there aren't any such signals around where I live (sort of in the country).

A possible place to get a good price is my.sony.com, which has some sort of point game you "play" by exposing yourself to their advertising. Points get you discounts.

An idiosyncracy of this sub is that it does not like even moderately high calibration tones. It flaps. But I don't hear this distortion with normal program material.

For such a little thing, it does pump a lot of air. I put my hand over its front slot the other day. Windy. But of course it won't shake the room. I'm using two Aura Bass Shakers with it ($30 from PartsExpress.com), and they make it sound/feel much nicer.