What's new

Sony SATHD100 & Pioneer Elite Pro-1000HD: Is this a bad combo? (1 Viewer)

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor
From what the specs say on the Sony HD receiver, it outputs only 480i and 1080i. What exactly does that mean? Does that mean that 480p & 720p are upconverted to 1080i? If so, is it a problem to combine it w/ this Pioneer Elite plasma TV? I guess what I'm asking really is will the TV mentioned display 1080i? I'm concerned b/c of this quote from the specs on the TV:
*Full High Definition and XGA resolution - 16:9 (1280 x 768p), 4:3 (1024 x 768p)
*Automatic Format Conversion of any source to 768 progressive display
FYI, TV Specs and STB Specs
I'm confused. Any help would be appreciated.
Peace,
DM

Vic Goel

Auditioning
Dave-
I have the Sony HD100 and the Pro-1000HD and have not had any problems in using the two together. In fact, I'd describe the picture as nothing short of stunning!
You are correct in reading that the HD100 will output HD at 480 or 1080i. I believe that the Pro-1000HD upconverts all non-1080i signals to 1080i and then further upconverts them to 768p. Signals at 1080i are simply converted to 768p.
BTW, I am not aware of any 480p signals for HDTV, and the only 720p signal I get is from ABC in Baltimore, but it displays without any problem, as do 1080i signals from HBO (Directv), PBS OTA, and CBS OTA.
DVDs in 480p also play fine.
I have used this combo for about a month and have not had any problems, other than the fact that my Sony does lock up on occasion, requiring me to unplug the unit to reset it. It had this problem even before I got this plasma display, though.
Incidentally, you can probably get a bit of info on the Pro-1000HD over at www.avsforum.com. Just log into the Plasma display forum.
Good luck!

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor
Vic, thanks for the reply. I'm trying to help my brother get his all set up, so I appreciate the info. If I may, how does the HD100 select OTA High Def. We've run the Satellite stuff in, the cable in, and the OTA antenna in, but I have yet to get an OTA High Def signal.

Also, what is this I hear about at Varible 3 video setting?

Peace,

DM

Vic Goel

Auditioning
Dave-

To receive OTA HD signals, you need to do two things--

First of all, your incoming antenna feed needs to be split so that it feeds both antenna inputs on the HD100. I believe one is labeled VHF, and the other is labeled Digital. While I'm not sure about the labeling of these inputs, I do know that there are 2 antenna inputs, both of which are 75-ohm coax connectors. These are the ones that I am referring to. Splitting of the incoming antenna cable can be done by using a splitter that is readily available from Radio Shack for a few bucks.

After this is done, you need to go into the Menu system of the HD100 and enter "System." Thereafter, enter the menu for "Non Satellite" and use auto program to program the unit to recognize both the digital and analog stations.

Once this is done, the OTA signals will appear on your program guide and will be accessible from the remote just like any DirecTV channel, except you won't receive detailed program info on the shows being broadcast.

As for your other question, I do use the "variable" output on the HD100. My understanding is that the "Variable" output changes the resolution (and default aspect ratio) based on what is being broadcast. This way, HD programming will automatically appear in 1080i HD and lock the TV into full screen mode on the Pro-1000HD, and standard definition broadcasts will appear in standard res. (meaning the HD100 has not upconverted the signal to 1080i) and the aspect ratio will appear as 4x3 (or whatever you have the TV set to). When viewing standard def. broadcasts, I usually set the Pro-1000HD to "full screen" mode so as to prevent the possibility of burn-in from the vertical letterbox that appears when viewing 4x3 broadcasts in their natural state.

Hope this helps!

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor
Ok, I've got some more questions Vic (or anyone): Why does Variable Video Mode strech a 4:3 picture to fill the screen? That is the only thing about the HD100 that I don't like / can't figure out. I like to watch things in their OAR, and most DTV channels are 4:3 which is how I want to watch them, but when HDNet pops up I obviously want it in all its' HD glory filling the screen. My thinking is keep the Pioneer in "Full" mode for resolution purposes and leave the HD100 in "Variable" mode to allow changing signals and ARs. But that's not happening. Am I thinking about this wrong?

Also, I still can't get OTA HD yet. My brother does not want any OTA channels except the HD ones since he has DTV locals. So, instead of splitting, is it ok to just hook up the OTA antenna coax to the VHF/UHF Digital connection on the back, then go through the auto program? I've tried this and have yet to see an OTA HD channel, BUT that may be due to the attic antenna. When I hooked that same coax up to the regular VHF/UHF connection, I got the channels, but the reception was terrible. I know digital reception is a little more tricky. I'll be working on this some more today to get in the attic and check that out.

Any help would be appreciated.

Peace,

DM

PS - I've discovered that my brother has the PDP-505, not the Pro-1000HD if that makes a difference. I know the units are very similar b/c your advice has worked so far.

Vic Goel

Auditioning
Dave-

I believe that operation of the PDP505 should be the same as the Pro-1000HD, so I assume that everything should work the same.

Since the only OTA signals you need are the digital channels, there's no need to split the antenna lead. Just make sure that the antenna is connected to the correct antenna input for digital OTA signals.

The Variable output on the HD100 will do what you're trying to achieve-i.e. HD signals in full screen and standard definition signals in 4X3. In order to view things correctly, however, you'll need to change the screen size on the plasma display. That is, when viewing something in HD, makes sure the plasma's screen size is set to "Full," and when viewing standard def. programming, change the screen size on the plasma display to "4x3." This should solve your problem. Of course, please bear in mind the possibility of burn-in on the plasma display when viewing 4x3 content. To avoid this, I'd limit the amount of 4x3 viewing or simply watch in full, wide, or zoom mode, which will, unfortunately distort the picture somewhat.

As far as the unavailability of an OTA HD signal, I'd first try auto programming the digital stations on the HD100 again. If that doesn't work, I'd probably assume that the problem is with the attic antenna. I use an outdoor mast-mounted antenna and live about 15 miles outside Washington, DC. Even still, my reception of OTA HD can be dicey on a few channels. Remember, with most OTA HD signals, you either get the picture or you get nothing at all. Before I got the outdoor antenna, I tried using a couple of indoor antennas with no luck. That may be the problem in your case as well.

Does the antenna give you a good reception with analog tv signals? If not, I'd be willing to bet that the antenna is the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks