Sony SATHD 300 a review

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by William D Cavender, Nov 11, 2003.

1. William D Cavender

William D Cavender Stunt Coordinator

After 11 days of using this receiver I thought I'd better post my non-professional review. The unit I am reviewing is Serial Number 0000 4721 5405 software version 1.06.00.

Setting up is a snatch. It pulled in all local analog and digital broadcaster on the first tuning. Pulling in a satellite signal is a little harder as you must make a phone call. The Sony SATHD 300 runs cool and looks good, yet like the Jaguire XKE it will only run good for a little while.

1. Horozontal tears in the picture as I change channels is a dailey occurance and they do not go away when changing channels. They go away only after turning the receiver off and then back on.

2. Video lock -up, gosh and I work in a prison, either a frozen image of a scrambled or solid bicture has occured at least 5 times. I have left the unit alone to see if the receiver will unlock itself, which it doesn't. One has to "surf" the channel selector to unfreeze the picture.

3. Audio lock-up, either a constant buzz or silence. Like video lock-up has occured when changing channels and will go away when you surf the channel.

4. There are two shopping channels that will not stay hidden. This I believe is a Problem with DIRECTV as it is only those specific channels that will reappear after you turn the receiver off for a few hours.

The Sony 300 replaces the very short lived 200, and unlike the 200, can be set up to time shift record differen channel at different times, yet with the above problems you may record nothing or a picture with a horozontal tear in it for the whole time shift recording time. Now unless Sony and DIRECTV can repair this via software upgrade over the phone line I will have to find a good repair facility.

2. rob-socal

rob-socal Agent

Paid 1K for the HD100 myself. I'm as sucker just once... The new Toshiba looks interesting.

3. William D Cavender

Update:

I e-mailed Sony two days ago and to date there is no reply. I called Video Only in San Leandro and was instructed by one of their staff that they will not make an exchange that would have to be done by DIRECTV. I called DIRECTV and they also deduced that I had a flawed unit and the dealer is to make the exchange...

I want this to stay in the forefront on this page because I do not want any one to buy a possible flawed product or get stuck with a dead and smelley elephant. I will not be able to make an exchange till Saturday, or if I even can. The one thing I have in my favor is I still owe $60.00 on it and I will not pay it if I cannot exchange it. I will keep the Forum posted on the exchange and if that one is problematic.

Marooned is coming but will it be the theatrical version or the U.S. laser disc, 3 scenes missing, version?

4. William D Cavender

Another update:

The store absolutely refuses to accept a return for exchange, which is contrdictory to what the sales receipt clearly states. I called Video Onlys other stores in the bay area to find that their managers tell customers over the telephone that they will exchange flawed merchandise, which they don't...

I called the Sony 800 Hot Line and the customer relations person I spoke with also determined that my unit was flawed and referred me to a nearby repair center, the same people who I are working on my Toshiba 3000, and they do good work.

I could persue the store Video Only in small claims court and win at the loss of my regular income. However any of you who has good or bad experience with the new Sony unit I hope you will please post it.

5. William D Cavender

The Final Update:
    I received a "refurbished" replacement unit from Sony last Thursday and within ten minutes of it running the unit experienced audio locking problem two times. No other malfunctions have been experienced. The audio problem only happened when I tuned to channel 2.1 KTVU, Oakland , Ca. which is the only station that the previous unit did an audio malfunction with.
    In all other ways, so far, this refurbished unit has performed quite well.
    Getting this replacement unit was an adventure in itself, to Sonys credit though, after the boss was contacted the unit arrived on my doorstep from Pennsylvania in less than 48 hours...

6. Joe Hsu

Joe Hsu Supporting Actor

Ouch...that really sucks. I haven't had any experience with HDTV stuff, being only 21 and not having much money recently, but our store does sell the Sony SATHD300...but I guess we don't see those problems since we never change the channel (always PBS or HDnet)

7. William D Cavender

Hold that final update!

The refurbished unit is also showing flaws, consistant audio lockup and white horizontal lines appearing and staying untill the receiver is turned off and then back on. I think the Sony SATHD 300 is going to be a Sony/LG problem of major proportion. The units are showing that they are not working. The people at Sony tell me that they do not have any more replacement units to send....

Let the buyer be forwarned and beware.