What's new

Sony SAT-T60 DirecTV/Tivo Receiver - Recording One Program While Watching Another? (1 Viewer)

Sam R. Aucoin

Stunt Coordinator
If this question has been asked and answered, I apologize for asking again - I could not find it by searching.
I have a very basic Sony B55 satellite receiver for my children's room. I just purchased a Sony SAT-T60 DirecTV Receiver with Tivo to replace a broken RCA 3d generation satellite receiver. When I first purchased the RCA, I "thought ahead" and purchased a dual LNB. One jack is used for the children's room and the other powers my new Sony SAT-T60.
Questions:
1. Can I record a currently-playing DirecTV program and WATCH another DirecTV program at the same time on the Sony SAT-T60?
2. If the answer to the question above is "no", why is it "no", and what I can do to enable that functionality?
3. If the answer to Question 1 is "yes", how do I go about setting up the system to allow this to be done? Every time I attempt to change DirecTV channels while the Tivo is recording, Tivo warns that the recording of the program that is currently being recorded will be terminated.
Thanks in advance for any responses.
Regards,
Sam

Mike Lang

Stunt Coordinator
The answer is no...for now. There are 2 tuners in there, but the 2nd one won't be activated until the next software release. When that happens, you'll be able to record 2 programs at the same time.
------------------

Michael Johnston

Stunt Coordinator
I forgot the the DirectTivo actually has NO MPEG encoders as it records the satalite stream natively to hard disk, so...you should be able to watch/record or record 2 channels at the same time.
Latest rumor is the 2nd tuner may be live in February, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
Michael
------------------
Link Removed

Jay Sulzberg

Auditioning
One more thing. I believe that the SAT-T60 has TWO satalite RF inputs. This means that you have to run a second RG-6 from the dish to the SAT-T60. If the second output is running your kids room, you will need a multi switch. (You can get it at Radio Shack) This will turn your two-output dish into a four (or more) output dish. You must have a separate feed from the dish for every tuner you want to use.

Sam R. Aucoin

Stunt Coordinator
Any word yet on when I will be able to record on one DirecTV channel while, at the same time, I watch another DirecTV channel?

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
Nope. TiVo is apparently working on a patch release that will correct several bugs, then a new version that activates the second tuner will come later.
I stopped watching "live" TV within three days of buying mine, so I don't need the ability to watch one DirecTV channel live while recording another. However, I do need the ability to record two programs simultaneously while playing a third already-recorded program.

Sam R. Aucoin

Stunt Coordinator
Still wondering on status - has TIVO enabled the second tuner to allow recording one SAT program while watching another?

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
No. The patch release (version 2.0.1) that I mentioned in my previous post has entered beta testing. The beta testing program is practically open to the public -- go to the TiVo forum at AVSForums to learn all about that.
I wouldn't expect the dual tuner release (which is said to be version 2.5) until perhaps late summer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks