1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Sony SAT-HD300 For Regular Cable?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Mike Zid, Jan 7, 2004.

1. Mike Zid

Mike Zid Auditioning

I have a Sony KV36HS510 (36 HDTV ready) with regular cable, not digital etc. Would I benefit from using a HDTV tuner for my regular cable going into my HDTV ready TV? I could go with a digital package from my cable company (Comcast) but can't justify spending the extra mony for the service since I hardly watch cable on this TV in the first place, I mostly watch DVD's on this setup but am looking for a little bit better picture from regular cable. Thanks in advance.

Mike

2. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

That box will tune analog cable and upconvert it to 480p (or 1080i, or 720p for that matter) and pass it to the set via component or DVI cables. It won't look any better than just running the analog cable directly to the set and letting the DRC in the set do the line doubling though.

I have the Sony HD-200 with the same tuning and upconversion capabilities as the HD-300, analog cable doesn't look any better going thru it than it does going directly to my Sony KP-57HW40 rptv.

Don't waste your money unless you want HDTV.

3. Mike Zid

Mike Zid Auditioning

Thank you Steve for your help. As of right now I don't think I'll be going HD on the TV but might if this regular cable starts driving me nuts LOL I'll save my money and hold off. Thanks again,

Mike

4. William D Cavender

William D Cavender Stunt Coordinator

The Sony SAT HD 300 is to be avoided, most of them still don't work right. I am awaiting another replacement unit from Sony and am "backlogged" 3 weeks. LG in Korea bult them and must supply new parts for over 100,000 units. Wait for the new Toshiba, maybe it will work...