Sony SAT HD100 vs 200?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Ricky T, Jan 31, 2004.

1. Ricky T

Ricky T Supporting Actor

What are the differences between the HD100 and HD200? And why do HD100's sell for a little more on ebay (ie, $500+)?

2. Grant B

Grant B Producer

I have a 100, it works great. My buddy has a 200 that I set up and configured for him so I am familiar with it.
    I like the 100s GUI much better. The 200 has a button on the remote that allows you to check SS without a few extra clicks.
    Thats what I like about the 200.
    The $ you save you can buy a nice antenna and rotor and get the HD broadcast channels

3. BeatCrazy

BeatCrazy Stunt Coordinator

Hey Ricky,

The HD200 has DVI if that matters to you. It also has more stretch modes if memory serves.

From my experience, I'd stay away from used HD boxes in this price range. If you're gonna drop that kind of $$, you should stick with something new as HD boxes seem to have more glitches than other consumer electronics in my experience.

4. Ricky T

Ricky T Supporting Actor

Well, I have been using an hd100 for about a year. I was able to get an open box hd200 cheap and was wondering which one to keep? I don't need DVI yet. Well...I just called Directv and ordered a P4 card for the hd200. I guess I'll just try it for a few days and decide.

Hi Sam!!! Hope all is well. What is your current HT system? Mine hasn't changed much over the past 18 months [​IMG]

5. BeatCrazy

Hey there, Ricky!

Your system not changing much in 1 & 1/2 years?!?! Wait, when did the aliens take Ricky away? [​IMG]

Current system is "maxed out" with B&W Nautilus 802s powered by McIntosh MC402 400watt X 2 amp, XA777ES SACD, Sony TAP9000ES analog preamp and the "trusty" Lexicon DC-1 V4.

A Lex MC-8 would be my most obvious upgrade at this point, but that's a lotta dough for me and I just don't see it happening soon.

On the stereo side, I've been contemplating a tube pre-amp (a la your Rogue) in the $1500 range, but have yet to pull the trigger. You're not there on a daily basis any longer to motivate me [​IMG]

6. Ricky T

Ricky T Supporting Actor

Sam,

I have been 100% happy with my Aragon Soundstage prepro (with the DPL2 and 6.1 digital upgrade). The analog section is identical Aragon Aurum 2 channel preamp that still goes for $750 on ebay (retail 1900 in 1992 dollars, and doesn't even have a remote).

With DPL2, DD-EX, DTS-ES, etc, I don't think you would miss the DC1's Logic7 much if you go with a good prepro (that used to retail 4k or more). And I think you are still 5.1 with Nautilus all around.

7. BeatCrazy

Ricky,

I think I forgot about you getting the Aragon. Do you still have the Rogue? You got me hooked on Lexicon, you know? It will be hard to break away, as I feel you can really dial it in.

The biggest upgrade for me was moving to a house finally. Even in the house I am 5.1 with Nautilus HTM1 center and N804 for surrounds. And 5.1 music really shines!

I think the MC-8 is cool b/c of the configurable dual 5.1 inputs, and upgradeability. Plus, I'm at the stage now where I need good component vid switching.

Off to go read about the Aragon Soundstage...

8. Ricky T

Ricky T Supporting Actor

After using the Lex MC1 and Rogue 66 magnum tube preamp for 1.5 years, I bought an Aragon Soundstage 12 months ago and was hooked. I did try the newer Aragon Stage One for a few weeks (didn't have as much detail and that *soundstage*) and an Outlaw 950 for 3 days (not even close).

The four prepros I would recommend in the 1800-2100 used range are: Integra Research RDC7, Anthem AVM20, and these two Aragons.

9. BeatCrazy

Ricky,

I'm really leaning towards keeping the Lex a while longer and adding something like this:

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/sh...tage+yesterday

Scroll down a bit for external/internal pictures of this handmade pre-amp.

I'm really trying to squeeze the last bit of stereo performance out of my rig, and I'm thinking I should start with one of these.

10. Ricky T

Ricky T Supporting Actor

Sam,

Ironic, but my primary concern is how good my DVD movies sound, and I picked the Aragon over Lex for THIS regard (the Aurum for all channels has something to do with this). If I listened to more 2 channel, that'd be even more reason to keep the Soundstage. Funny, my wife listens to music almost everyday; I only do a couple of times per month. But I rent 8-10 DVDs from netflix a month!

The four prepros I mentioned should all have component video switching (this was an option on the Soundstage upgrade). Dual 5.1 inputs should be much less of a factor today and in the future with all the great universal players out and coming out.

btw, the tube head, John Fairchild (my friend/dealer from the DT days) is now listening to solid state...of course, I think it's Goldmund gear [​IMG]

11. Ricky T

Ricky T Supporting Actor

12. Eric A

Eric A Second Unit

Ricky,
    Back to the subject of the thread. I just noticed this thread and can shed some light. The reason the HD-100 sells for more is that it is a 1st generation unit. These units are much easier to hack and get free Direct TV. Most people buying these on Ebay are looking for the HU "football player" card. This unit with this card will allow easy hacking and people will pay a premium for it. The HD-200 and HD-300 are newer and have built in protection. I have heard of some still being able to hack the 200 but not the 300 yet.

I just got the Hughes HTL-HD (300 Clone) with brand new Triple LNB Dish on the $99 Direct TV deal for $449 shipped. They credited my account $350 to net me out at $99. I sold my HD-100 for $550 on Ebay so I netted out $100 on the good side and still have Direct TV for about 5 months free because of the credit on my bill. As for the new unit, it is 10 times better. The new guide is much faster and has a preview window for all channels, even HD. It has simultaneous output on component and S-video for VCR recording of tv or TiVo. It pulls in stations much better. I am getting stations from Alabama, Macon, GA and some places I can't figure out yet. It has 4th generation technology for reception. Finally it has even better stretch modes than my Toshiba. I now run everything upconverted to 1080i and let the box stretch and it look s much better than my old setup. Basically the unit has all these improvements and still retains the all the good features of the HD-100 without the RF remote. Anyway, you know where I am at if you have any questions.