Sony/SACD take note of this:

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RichardMA, Jun 16, 2002.

1. RichardMA

RichardMA Second Unit

2. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    I talked with some friends at Sony. They laughed, because they have had a great three weeks on people jumping on the SACD bandwagon with title announcements from The Who, CCR, The Rolling Stones, etc.

If anything, the DVDA momentum has slowed at the same time.

Let's just wait and see how they respond.

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Lee said:

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Lee also said:

5. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Keith,

In fairness, Sony has had a 1+ year headstart on the market.

Regards,

6. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

John said:

7. JaleelK

JaleelK Second Unit

I think that's great news, I hope Warner will release more smooth jazz artist in 5.1. If Warner delivers and more studios join them, I think that will probably mark the end of SACD, SACD is a nice format, but its just not consumer friendly. I don't think the masses will tolerate a format war. DVD-V is firmly intrenched with the masses now and any player that can play DD, DTS, DVD-A will be all a consumer needs. Some might say that both formats can exist together like DD and DTS, but the only problem with that belief is that DD and DTS can be encoded on the same optical disc, you can do that with DVD-A and SACD, SACD has a big compatibility problem with the masses. I think when more DVD-A titles come out, DVD-A will devour the SACD format.

8. Michael_T

Michael_T Second Unit

9. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Michael, very well said. You saved me many keystrokes. I don't know how anyone can say that DVD-Audio is more user friendly than SACD. The lack of hybrid SACDs from Sony is a problem. I won't argue that point. However, that doesn't make DVD-Audio any easier to use.

10. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

11. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Lee said:

12. AaronD

AaronD Stunt Coordinator

I still am not convinced that any of the high res formats is going to make it 'mainstream'. One may win out over the other in the middle to high end though.
    If you really think about what John Q. Public see's as a difference between SACD/DVD-A and his current CD it's not much. Most wont notice the higher quality or even like surround music. Surround music means more equipment and money. What good do these formats do when played in the kitchen as background music or something similar? Most people aren't as 'into' music as the people on this forum who support the formats. Plus don't forget that the mainstream is getting more and more used to their coveted CD-R's and MP3's, and we all know those don't mix well with SACD/DVD-A.
    I'm basing this mostly on visit by friends who think that SACD is cool, but don't see the reason to get into it... They can't make CD-R's or MP3's easily and on the stuff they have there wouldn't be too much of an audible difference.
    -Aaron
    No mistake, I love high-rez audio... [​IMG]

13. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Aaron, it looks like they'll "back" SACD into the marketplace with hybrids. Selling everybody new players over the next 5 to 10 years is very appealing too. SACD's excell at stereo as far as I'm concerned. I'd be into them even if all the releases were just stereo. Best wishes!

14. Michael_T

Michael_T Second Unit

15. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Michael,
    Very simple. I have no life! Seriously though, I am single with no kids. My girlfriend doesn't live with me, so I have plenty of time to do whatever I want. [​IMG] I have activities outside of the home, but I still get plenty of time to listen to tunes and peruse the HTF.
    Aaron,
    Remember the age-old discussion here that more and more people are going the way of lower resolution in the form of MP3s. Between CDs and MP3s, I don't see either high-resolution format going mainstream. However, I feel SACD has a greater chance.
    SACD has seen a few exciting announcements in the past couple of weeks, with releases coming from the Stones, The Who, and CCR. If these hybrid discs were to replace the current CDs and be priced like CDs, that would help SACD immensely. However, the CCR discs are coming from Steve Hoffman, so they will not replace the Fantasy CDs. I am wondering how ABCKO will market the Stones SACDs. Since the CD layers will be remastered for the first time and the discs will retail for $20 each (meaning they will sell for a few bucks less in stores), these hybrids could replace the old CDs. However, I doubt it will happen. I'm just skeptical.

16. AaronD

AaronD Stunt Coordinator

Rachel:

I totally agree, and I'm sure thats the way Sony would like to get SACD mainstream...But look at them! No hybrid releases!!! I *still* don't believe they're doing that to themselves. *sigh*

Keith:

SACD is better suited in my opinion too, it's more like a regular CD and can even be one... It's the video requirement of DVD-A that is crippling it IMHO.

I'd still love to see a major label actually start replacing the CD's in their catalog w/ hybrids instead of selling both. It would only help in the long run to bring manufacturing prices down and get market penetration. But what do we know?

-Aaron

17. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Aaron said:

18. AaronD

AaronD Stunt Coordinator

Keith,
    They're too busy worrying about college students trading MP3's to deliver the product that they should. Copy Right is one thing that gets me wound up every time... They're trying to solve a social problem with legislation, and that just will not work. But back to the topic, it makes so much sense to me that I can't see how it isn't obvious to them. They *want* a more secure audio format, and they have a way to get it into homes, they just wont do it!
    [​IMG]
    -Aaron

19. JaleelK

JaleelK Second Unit

20. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Jaleel said: