What's new

Sony SACD SCD-CE775 Question (1 Viewer)

Sheldon

Stunt Coordinator
All that I am really looking for is some input on what you guys think of this SACD Player.I'm in the market for an entry level SACD Player and this one is at Future Shop for $249.00.Any input would be appreciated>Thanks...

Rob Rodier

Supporting Actor
I know that they are going for $199 at a lot of places (CC, BB). The Absolute Sound gave it a really good review. Calling it "Grand Theft" at $249. I think that if you critically listen to red book cds than you might want to go for one of the es changers. If you are looking to get your foot in the sacd door, and arn't overly critical than the ce775 is impossible to beat. The article also said that it would take sony $1400 player (9000es?) to get a significant audible improvement in sacd playback.

It also has a nice feel, not as nice as the es but solid for the $. I think it is a killer player for the money.

-rob

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
Get it quickly, if you decide to go for it. They have been dropped from Futureshop's web site, and the lesser SCDXE670 has been marked as "Sold Out", which I take to mean that they won't be getting any more.
There must be something new around the corner. Should you wait or not? I have no idea. :frowning:
Martin.

stephen_z

Stunt Coordinator
I recently picked up the SCD-CE775 for $190 US (is it $249 Canadian?) at Good Guys. You probably won't see it advertised on any of the main websites (CC and BB), but individual stores may still have new units. It's a great entry into the SACD format. After getting the player, if you're disappointed on redbook, you could get modifications performed by SACDmods.com for ~$350 that bring the sonics up to ES level (or better).

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Jeremy,

$75? That's got to be the record for lowest price for the 'CE775!

Sheldon,

The 'CE775 has been discontinued, and Sony has not announced a replacement for it yet. Grab one while you can!

I agree with Rob in that one of the ES changers ('C222ES or 'C555ES) will outperform the 'CE775, especially with CDs. You might consider an ES model if you are a critical listener.

Martin,

I have read that Sony is replacing the 'XE670 with the 'XE680 in Europe. However, I don't know if the 'XE680 will be available in Canada. The 'XE670 wasn't available in the US, so I doubt the 'XE680 will be either. As I said to Sheldon, I have heard nothing about a replacement for the 'CE775.

Jeremy Little

Supporting Actor
Jeremy, $75? That's got to be the record for lowest price for the 'CE775
Yup, I figured it was down there. I should say that it didn't have a manual.:b Oh, and it pays to know people who know people, etc.

Oh well... Don't count on seeing it discounted that much anywhere else.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Jeremy, ah, you have connections. Of course, that manual is worth sooooo much. :rolleyes:Well done. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Adil M

Supporting Actor
I sold one for 115 w/ no manual and no remote, but before I went to the trouble I asked the guy if he was a real music fan and he told me he had just spent about 150 dollars on cd's for his back to school present. I found him a completely compatible remote and went out of my way to sell it. Who says SA's arent bias?:D
Hey, I'd rather give the deal to a guy who could use it then some guy who just wanted all the best equipment we had.

Rob Rodier

Supporting Actor
Open Box, Best Buy, $75.
I love going in there and jamming my fingers into all demo electronics. Trying to break off knobs and test how much it would take to break the carousel.
Just kidding,
that really is the deal of the year. I'm sure you got the warranty anyway.
-rob;)

Luke_Khuc

Stunt Coordinator
I just returned the 775 to buy the 222ES. After using the 222ES last night, I found out that it sounds significantly louder (and the same thing with the bass) when using 5.1 channel out compared to 2 channel out. It can't be my pre/pro (Outlaw 950) because I use the bypass function on both accounts. I didn't try this on the 775 though. Is Sony cheating by amplifying the sound level when using 5.1 channel out?

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Luke, interesting observation. Truthfully, I have never done such comparisons with my 'C555ES changers. Interesting, indeed. Perhaps Sony is using different op-amps for the stereo analog outputs and 5.1-channel outputs.

Matthew Anker

Stunt Coordinator
That's not even possible. The outputs are paralleled. All component types and values after it splits off into 3 (to stereo, to MCH front, and to head phones op-amp) are the same. I've argued this on AA, and had to send a guy the schematic before he would conceed defeat. I've never heard this phenomenon on either player.
In fact, here's the CE775 output stage, and it's the same as the 222ES. Link Removed
I just bought a 222ES, modified it, and I just love it
:)
I found that has a lot more punch than a CE775, and is much smoother. Right now, I'm working on mounting a large power supply toroid transformer into a CE775. It sounds a little better, but needs some tuning. This will turn a CE775 into an un-official 222.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Matthew, thanks for clarifying the op-amp issue.

You said:

I just bought a 222ES, modified it, and I just love it

I found that has a lot more punch than a CE775, and is much smoother.
Are you saying that a modded 'C222ES beats a 'CE775 modded in the same exact way or are you comparing a modded 'C222ES to a stock 'CE775?

Matthew Anker

Stunt Coordinator

I am comparing a modified C222ES to a modified CE775. The units have identical modifications installed. A modified CE775 will trounce a stock C222ES, I tried it.

The modified C222ES is so good, that my die-hard, vinyl fan, Linn LP-12 owning father is considering buying one. That's the best endorsement yet in my opinion.

Sheldon

Stunt Coordinator
Hi folks...Just as a followup...I picked up the Sony SACD Player based on your advice.Haven't had a chance to give it a listen but will shortly.The salesman tried to talk me out of it though.He was pushing me towards DVD Audio but its like I told him...I needed a new CD Player and this was cheap enough and would suit just fine.If SACD doesn't fly then I'm not out that much.

charles_w

Stunt Coordinator
Mathew,

Your really tempting me on the 222es. I just recieved mine from OADE Bros. today.

How long have you had your modded 222?

Lee

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks