What's new

Sony SACD Scd-C222es for 325.00 shipped... (1 Viewer)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Reggie, glad to hear you are enjoying SACD and the 'C222ES. You are enjoying music, and that is most important in all of this. Besides, you are only able to compare DVD-Audio and SACD with different components, like me. It's not a fair comparison. I prefer SACD, but I can't say that SACD is inherently better than DVD-Audio. Anyway, give us more on your impressions of the 'C222ES. How do you like it as a CD player? Have you compared it as a transport to your JVC player? Have you compared the sound of CDs from the 'C222ES using the analog and digital outputs? How do you like the build quality?

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Keith,

I find the build quality quite impressive. It is built better than the JVC and is definitely better built than the 775. It's interesting that you would ask about the sound as comapred to the JVC. How should I put it.....I can really hear no difference with the JVC going via optical to the receiver and using pure analog for the 222es. I guess this means, that the Dac's in the Denon and the 222es must be of similar caliber. I have listend to Rock and Classical, and have found very little difference between them in sound. I knew that I would probably be using the Dac's in the 222es, which is another reason why I passed on the 775. I have yet to use the digital output on the 222es, because I figured it would just sound much like the JVC since it would then be utilizing the Denon Dac's. However, I still have a unused coaxial input on the 1802, and will probably give it a shot. I need better speakers, as I have JBL N26's as my mains. They are not bad, but I definitely want speakers a little better since my system seems to be stepping up now (especially with a Denon 1600 coming in hopefully three weeks). I am looking at the Axiom M22's which have garnered tons of raves from forum members for their musical ability. I am next week replacing my Sony SWMN20 sub (yeah, don't laugh!) with an Adire Rava next week, which should be a big step forward. Anyway, I'll keep you posted on any new developments.

Reg

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Reggie said:
I knew that I would probably be using the Dac's in the 222es, which is another reason why I passed on the 775.
Actually, the 'CE775 and 'C222ES utilize the same DAC. I believe it is a Burr-Brown DSD 1702 (or something like that). Perhaps the 'C222ES has a better analog output stage. I found the 'C222ES to be better than the 'CE775 with both CDs and SACDs, especially with CDs. Perhaps it was due to the extra power supply in the 'C222ES, a better analog output stage, or the better transport. Perhaps it was a combination of all three. Whatever, the 'C222ES is better, but not because of the DACs.

Matthew Anker

Stunt Coordinator
The 222ES uses the same audio output stage, and same opamp per the service manual. They use the same PC board in fact.

The 222ES probably uses a little better coupling capacitors, but they are still not Black Gates.

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Matthew,

Thanks for the info. Nonetheless, I have noticed a difference in redbook CD playback on the 222es and 775 from in store demos, so maybe the things you and Keith pointed out has something to do with it. Just a mere four months ago, there are some who spent twice what I spent for the 222es, so I am very happy with the unit and what I paid. Again, the other deal breaker for me was the build quality. I already have a decent sub 200.00 JVC changer in my collection, and I would swear that its built better than the 775. however, I feel the 775 is a steal at its price-point.

Keith,

Remember that I already have a JVC 721bk DVD-A player, so I am not new to DVD-A. I have read so many horrid things regarding DVD-A playback on this unit, that I want to replace it so I can get more of an idea of what DVD-A can do. For all of the bad audio reviews of the JVC, I still think it (DVD-A playback) sounds pretty damn good when compared to regular redbook cd. The Denon 1600 will match my 1802 receiver, and I would love to check out redbook cd playback on it, which is said to be considerably better than a DVD player costing 500.00 - and we know many other 500.00 DVD players aren't even comparable to 200.00 cd players, so this says alot abot the 1600's audio performance. I mentioned the Axiom M22ti speakers for their audio abilities, but someone steered me towards the floor-standing Axiom M50's which cost 200.00 more, but naturally, don't require floor stands. I figured having full range front speakers could improve my listening of hi-rez two-channel music. I know the SACD/DVD-A spec calls for full-range speakers all around, but this is expensive, and not to mention impractical to me because I simply don't have the space in my small apartment for SIX towers....nor the funds for it. I might consider the outlaw ICBM in the future if bass management continues to be an issue, but feel that the issue will be addressed in future players/receivers.

Reg

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Reggie, I had forgotten that you already own the JVC DVD-Audio player. No offense (you already mentioned it), but the JVC unit did get its fair share of poor reviews on the audio side. Video is considered very good though. I listened to the JVC player and didn't like it. Just my $0.02. Anyway, I have no doubt that the Denon '1600 is much better than the JVC player with both audio and video. I am sure you will hear the difference with DVD-Audio in moving to the '1600, especially if you get those Axiom floorstanders. Get the floorstanders if you can swing it, assuming they are truly full-range. Of course, it would be nice to be able to demo both pairs of speakers, but with Axiom, I imagine that isn't easy, unless you order both and send one back.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks