Sony SACD Scd-C222es for 325.00 shipped...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ReggieW, Jun 22, 2002.

1. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

...at Oade Brothers. I actually wanted to purchase this unit from J&R, but for the first time, they would not do a price match with Oade for me (they would only do 320.00 plus shipping). They would not discount the Sennheiser HD-590 headphones for me from 194.00. I managed to find them elsewhere for 149.00 plus shipping. Things just get more interesting in this business as I always thought that J&R would match ANYONE authorized. I guess you learn something everyday in this hobby. I went for the 222es over the 775 because of the better build quality, power supply, and redbook Cd playback. I strongly disagree with those who claim there is no difference between the 775 and 222es, because the difference is obvious immediately from viewing the build quality. However, I think the 775 is a steal for 180.00, if you can find one.

Reg

2. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

Admins:

I mistakenly placed this in the music section! please move this to audio/video at your leisure.

Thanks,

Reg

3. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

[​IMG]
    $325?!?!
    Is this standard, now?
    I paid twice that for mine (though it doesn't matter because I returned it anyway).
    Having owned both the 775 and 222es temporarily, the difference is huge, IMO. This was a wise decision.

4. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

Thanks Mike.

Yes, this appears to be the going rate at Oade Brothers. I have been told that they have a rather large supply of 222's in stock for some reason. The msrp on the 222es is 499.00 and the 555es is 799.00. They offered the 555es to me for 575.00 shipped, but it's unfortunately out of my price range for now. I think the 222es is a steal for the price I paid.

Reg

5. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Jack, my first high-res player was the 775, for which I paid less than $200. I was enjoying the SACD very much. A lazy weekend afternoon a couple of weeks later found back in the Tweeter center looking at the higher-end players. The next day, I came back with my 775 and a couple of discs and did some in-store testing. The difference between the SACD playback was slight, but the difference with the redbooks was very big. The 775 sounded more like "tin," hollow and weaker, while the 222es has a lot more "oomph." (I substitute lack of fancy literary and technical descriptions with onomotopeia. Eh.)

Once I heard the difference, I couldn't go back and had to upgrade.

Only a short time later I ended up trading the 222es in for the Pioneer Elite DV-47A universal player anyway.

NP: Louis Armstron, Ambassador Satch, SACD

6. Jeff Keene

Jeff Keene Supporting Actor

Does the 222es play DVD-V?

7. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

No, Jeff, the 222ES is a 5 disc CD/SACD player.

I owned the 222ES then upgraded to the 555ES. I did pop the hoods on all the players including the 775 and did some listening comparisons. There is a difference between the 775 & the 222, although it's not as huge of a jump as the 222 & the 555.

The 222 has two power supplies(small & large)compared to the 775's one el-core(small), and the transport is sturdier. As far as sound goes, my opinions fall in line with Mike's assessment.

The 775 is a great player for it's price, but if you can still upgrade to the 222, Jack, I think it would be worth it(you pick up a 5 year warranty with an ES too).

DJ

8. Pete Gia

Pete Gia Stunt Coordinator

That`s a Great price!--Was quoted $395 a few months back.

9. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Reggie,
    Congratulations on your purchase! I know this is a long time coming. Definitely give us a review once you get it.
    When I bought my first 'C555ES last October, OneCall wouldn't quite match Oade Bros. Oade Bros. quoted me $800 delivered, and OneCall quoted me $824 delivered ($799 + $25 shipping and handling). I went with OneCall because Oade Bros. was sold out when I was ready to order. As a bonus, OneCall offered me 12 months same-as-cash, which was nice to have "just in case". [​IMG]
    All,
    I agree with the sentiment that the 'C222ES is better than the 'CE775. The 'C222ES is not merely a dressed up version of the 'CE775. The 'CE775 is very good for $180, but the 'C222ES is definitely better, especially with CDs. If you are considering these two players and can spend $325, get the 'C222ES.

10. Robert McDonald

Robert McDonald Stunt Coordinator

I'm very interested, but just how much of a difference is there between the C222ES and the C555ES? I currently have the Onkyo 797 and B&W CDM 7NTs.

11. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Robert, the 'C555ES is noticeably better than the 'C222ES. The difference is more obvious with CDs, but the superiority of the 'C555ES is still clearly evident with SACDs. Also, the 'C555ES is built much better. I say, get the 'C555ES if you can. I have two of them and love the player.

I don't mean undue disrespect towards the 'C222ES and its owners. It is an excellent player for the money. No question about it. However, as is often the case in audio, the more expensive player in this case is the better one.

12. Robert McDonald

Robert McDonald Stunt Coordinator

Keith, from reading your many posts (which I always enjoy, btw, as you seem to know what you are talking about) I kind of thought you would say the 555ES; but in your (or other's) opinions will the difference be noticable with my current setup, or do I need to step up a notch or 2 to really enjoy the difference? Champagne taste on beer budget, you know (along with the wife acceptance factor!).

Again, I have the Onkyo 797 and B&W CDM 7NTs

13. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Robert, I have not used your exact set-up, but your speakers are quite good. My feeling is that you would hear the difference between the 'C222ES and 'C555ES. Obviously, it would be best if you could compare the two players in your system with your favorite music, but that is not always feasible.

Thanks for the compliment.

14. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

Keith,

I guess the reason why we see so much praise now for the 775 is because the price has dropped a great deal, and many have taken the plunge into SACD with this player. However, if they had jumped into something like a 777es first, and then tried out a 775, they would probably be underwhelmed (much as you were). I'm sure if I had chosen the 775 first, I would've been impressed as well, but probably would've realized that the 222es and 555es were definite step ups, not just dressed up 775's. I have hit a dead wall on the dvd-a front, as I am waiting to see what the Toshiba 9500 looks like, and if Denon will iron out the bugs in the 3800. I did have my sights on the Denon 1600, but got to see a DVD 3800 in person and it is built like a fortress. It certainly looks it price. I really do want a real DVD-A player capable of outstanding audio. I hear the Toshiba 9200 is a steal at it's current 550.00 clearance price from most dealers, but it is also two years old. I really don't want to shell out the dough for something already obsolete, though I hear the audio is quite mpressive.

Reg

15. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Reggie, I absolutely agree with you in regards to the high praise we have been seeing for the 'CE775. I have often said that in my opinion, the 'CE775 was not a bargain for $350. True, SACDs sound great. However, the build quality, aesthetics, and CD playback are lackluster. At $180-200, I feel it is a bargain. People jumping in with the 'CE775 now are likely to be blown away, especially when listening to SACDs. However, I believe that if they were to compare it to the 'C555ES, they would find the weaknesses of the 'CE775, especially with CDs, to be plainly obvious. Does it matter? No, unless the person can make the switch. As I said in a previous post, the more expensive component is usually the better one. Still, for anyone who can spend no more than $200 for an SACD player, the 'CE775 is nothing to sneeze at.
    Now onto DVD-Audio. [​IMG] If I were serious about purchasing an upgrade for my Technics DVD-A10 DVD-Audio player, I too would be at an impasse. Software issues aside, I am not compelled by the hardware available right now. I have no need for progressive-scan output right now, but if I am going to spend $1000+ for a DVD-Audio player, progressive-scan capabilities have to be first-rate.
    The Denon DVD-3800 looks like a killer component, but Denon needs to address the chroma bug. The Pioneer Elite DV-47A is lacking in terms of build quality for the price. It too shows the chroma bug. The Onkyo DV-S939, Integra DPS-9.1 and '7.2, Rotel RDV-1080, Kenwood DV-5700, and Toshiba SD-9200 are all highly capable players, but they have been around for awhile. I'd hate to shell out a fair chunk of change for one of them, only to see the manufacturer I chose replace it a month later (or whatever). Toshiba already has the '9500 coming. If I were looking for a new DVD-Audio player, I'd pass on currently available models to see what the next generation yields and to see if Denon fixes the chroma bug on the '3800.

16. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

Just read another positive review on the Denon 1600's DVD-A performance. I just keep coming back to this player no matter what. I am looking for a good DVD-A component, as there is no shortage of good players on the video end. In fact, I am more than satisfied with my JVC 721bk on the video end, but feel the audio is lackluster. If I'm not mistaken, isn't the Rotel 1080 DVD-A player based on a JVC 723 platform? Heck, if I could ever get my 721 modded to sound like a Rotel 1080, I would go that route, but don't know if this can be done - at least at a realistic price. I will decide in the next three weeks what to do, though I will probably end up with the Denon 1600, as I hear the audio performance is vastly superior (this coming from a reviewer who once owned the 723) to that of the JVC 723/721. If I should ever decide to sell the Denon 1600, I will take pleasure in knowing that the resale value on Denon products is quite high (I've been offered slightly less than I paid for my Denon 1802 by many on this forum)- especially if they are great performers, which is what the 1600 obviously is.

Reg

17. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Reggie, I agree that the '1600 looks like the way to go given the reputation for performance and the price. As I have said in the past, I just wish Denon hadn't borrowed the design of the Panasonic DVD-RP56. The '1600 just doesn't look and feel like a $500 player. The lack of a coaxial digital output bothers me. Enough about that. [​IMG]
    It has been said that the '1600 offers better audio performance than the Panasonic 'RP91, which doesn't surprise me. Again, given the reputation and price, the '1600 looks tough to beat.
    You are right in that Denon products have excellent resale value, so if you are thinking that your next player could come along in say, a year, that is something to think about. Given your other choices in DVD-Audio players, I say go for the '1600. If you do, let us know what you think of it.
    By the way, I am not aware of anyone that is modifying your JVC player to perform like the Rotel RDV-1080. Well, no one except Rotel, that is. [​IMG]

18. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

Well,

I have incorporated the 222es into my system matrix, though it is currently only being run two channel for the time being - I will probably get the Radio Shack switchers in a few weeks. I have left my old JVC 258 changer in the my sytem and it is connected to the receiver via the optical output. I would not even dream of utilizing the DAC's in the JVC, but it is well built and still makes an excellect transport for redbook cd's. My SACD impressions.....Well I like what I hear, and really like its ease of use, especially when compared to DVD-A. Sonically, it is outstanding - espeically in two channel, however, I will not venture to say that it is "better" than DVD-A, as it is really difficult for me to make a proper analogy. I now enjoy both, and to me that's what's important.

Reg