Sony SACD re-issues: Question about comparing stereo tracks.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KeithH, Sep 18, 2002.

1. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

I have read a few comments here and there that Sony has improved the fidelity of the stereo tracks on some SACDs that were re-issued to include a multi-channel track. In other words, some say that the stereo tracks on some multi-channel SACDs sound better than the original stereo-only SACDs. Examples of re-issued SACDs include:

* Toto Toto IV
    * Carole King Tapestry
    * Billy Joel 52nd Street
    * Billy Joel The Stranger
    * Jeff Beck Blow by Blow
    * Miles Davis Kind of Blue
    * The Dave Brubeck Quartet Time Out
    * Celine Dion All the Way...A Decade of Song
    * Meat Loaf Bat Out of Hell
    * Billie Holiday Lady in Satin

If you have done such comparisons, what are your experiences? From what I have read, an obvious difference lies in Billie Holiday Lady in Satin because the stereo-only SACD was mixed improperly. I have neither version of Lady in Satin on SACD, so I can't comment. I have compared stereo tracks on some original and re-issued SACDs and have not noticed a difference in most cases. However, I did find the stereo track on the multi-channel Toto IV disc to be much improved over the original version. The new version lacks the pops that appear in a few places on the original SACD. Also, the sound on the new version is much better overall. The multi-channel SACD has new credits for authoring for SACD, so perhaps Sony realized that the original version of Toto IV is lacking.

I have read that the stereo track on the multi-channel version of Carole King Tapestry is better than the original stereo-only disc. At present, I have just the stereo-only disc, but I am wondering if I should get the multi-channel version. The multi-channel track would be a nice addition, but it is not a must-have for me. So, is there an improvement to the stereo track?

NP: The Essential Earth, Wind & Fire, Disc 1

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Anybody home? [​IMG]

3. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

I can't answer your question from personal experience, but I have read that most many reviewers don't think that Miles Davis' "Kind of Blue" or Dave Brubeck's "Time Out" were improved with SACD. Reviewers felt the newer, remastered versions of these CDs a few years ago are the definitive versions. I'm sorry I can't remember where I read that. It might have been through this forum, though.

I have also read good things about the Carole King CD. This was one of my favorite albums back in 1971 and I recently purchased the stereo version CD of this. I might be inclined to by the SACD version. I am very new to SACD. I just purchased the Sony 755 a few weeks ago and only own Hot Rocks by the Rolling Stones.

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Marty, thanks for your comments. I have the SACD and remastered CDs of Kind of Blue and Time Out and prefer the SACDs. Carole King Tapestry is much better on SACD than on CD. I have the original SACD and the remastered CD. As I said in my initial post, I have read that the stereo track on the multi-channel SACD is better than the original stereo SACD, so try to find the multi-channel SACD. Of course, why deprive yourself of the multi-channel track. I will be getting the multi-channel version eventually.

5. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

Keith,
    I am going to start jumping in and purchasing multi-channel SACDs soon. Tapestry will be on my short list. Do you have James Taylor's Hourglass? I have read some good things about that one.

I am also interested in Amanda Marshall. Her latest release is available on SACD. Have you heard her? If not, I suggest you check out her self-title first release of 3 years ago. She was only 18 when she recorded the CD, but has an incredible voice. I would categorize her as Blues/Pop. Her 2nd CD was entitled Tuesday's Child, but not as good as the first one.

6. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Marty, I have Hourglass on SACD. If you like James Taylor, this one is a must-have. The multi-channel mix is very good, though as always, I prefer the stereo track. "Gaia" on the stereo SACD track is a joy to behold. Hourglass on CD is very good too, but once you hear the SACD, the CD is only suitable for the car. [​IMG]
    I have heard of Amanda Marshall, but I don't have any of her CDs. I've read some good things about the SACD. I will have to check out her works, as I am a nut for good female vocals.

7. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

8. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Marty, thanks for the added suggestions of female vocalists. More artists to experiment with. [​IMG] I will have to look for the Amanda Marshall SACD. If you get the Hourglass SACD, let us know how you like it.

9. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

10. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    Keith, when I bought my very lightly used Sony XA777ES a few months back the guy brought it over my house and gave me a copy of "Kind of Blue" which was his only multi-channel non-hybrid SACD. He bought an expensive CD player and had no need for it and only had a 2-channel set-up so he never heard it in multi-channel. I compared the 1st cut on both (I had the original version) in stereo and they appeared to be identical. The multi-channel version is the original 3-track recording. There is no sound in the rears. While on some SACDs I prefer the stereo version on my system, there is no question that the multi-channel version of this adds dimensionality to the recording in my set-up. I run full-range all the way around, even though my front speakers are full range, I have stereo subs so that they play full-range with little distortion, I have a sub for the center channel and a sub for the rears as well.

11. Michael_T

Michael_T Second Unit

I have an XA777ES, and I also have a MCH copy of Miles' "Kind Of Blue". On the contrary, there is sound coming from the rear speakers, but it is very ambient in nature. In fact, if you were to put your ear near the rear speakers while the MCH version is playing you will hear considerable "delay echo" and a bit of Coltrane's, Adderly's and Davis' horns.

The only way that you wouldn't hear any sound from the rear is if you have some independent level controls on the rear speakers - and you have them turned way down or off.

I do agree, though, that the amount of information coming from the rear is not "aggressive" so that if you are sitting in the correct spot for MCH music listening - it might seem imperceptible. The rear ambience, though, does help "pull" the music out into the room that a stereo mix or even a 3-channel (front only) mix couldn't do.

12. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    The 2-channel track on the multi-channel release of Tapestry is a remix. Some of the technical limitations of the original mix are fixed, but if you want the original mix, warts and all, you need to hang on to the 2-channel only release.

Regards,

13. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    Michael, only listend to the multi-channel mix once, with an XA777ES several mos. ago and did not notice anything coming from the rears, but after reading your post did put the disc on and did notice the subtle rear channels. My rears due to my room configuration are angled downward and about 7 ft. above the floor. I had originally read the multi-channel mix was to only consist of the 3-channel recording and the rears are done so well as to not notice them. That is the usually the criteria I judge whether or not I like the multi-channel mix. If it enhances the realism of the music without be a separate source I tend to like it.