What's new

Sony SACD Player Price Drop in Canada (1 Viewer)

Ken Leggatt

Stunt Coordinator
I already ordered it a week ago and it arrives tomorrow :)
I am looking forward to hooking this player up and giving it a thorough work out. It almost looks like a pricing error on the website. In red writing they have the price at 499 and then the price in your basket is 249.99. It was just over 286 shipped.
I was wanting the SCD-222ES but they still have it at 1,200 CDN and the Sony store in Canada is pretty much the only place we can buy ES products.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Martin, as you may know, the ES players are considerably reduced in the US. Perhaps OneCall, J&R Music World, or Oade Bros. would ship to Canada. The only question I have is if the warranty would be voided by purchasing from a foreign retailer. I once called Sony customer service to see if I would receive warranty coverage in the US on a component I bought new from a retailer in the UK. I was told no. Of course, the voltage for components is different in the UK and US, but I'm not sure that has anything to do with Sony's policy.
Of course, those in Canada have to think of export duties, tariffs, shipping, etc. Those fees could negate any savings. Martin, I think we might have had this discussion before. ;)
I would love to hear the SCD-XE670. Unfortunately, it was never marketed in the US. Sony's original press release last year implied that it would be. For some reason, the US only got the 'CE775, while Canada got both the 'CE775 and 'XE670. $200 CDN comes out to $131.58 USD as of this writing. That's a great deal for the 'XE670. If only it were available in the US.

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
Keith,
Yes, we've had this conversation before. I was just browsing around and noticed the price drop, so I thought I'd be a good HTF citizen and post the info. I'm not yet looking to get one myself, since I need to fill out my Paradigm 7.1 system before v3 comes out... and I have to deal with the wife every time I throw away money... :) And I want to sneak in a good amp at some point... :b
But I would say that after conversion, shipping, fees, etc, the ES models would still be a great bargain here. But you're right: no warrantee, which I would expect for most Canadians would be the showstopper right there.
Martin.

wei

Auditioning
Sony Canada will look after the ES warranty. the only difference is you only have 3 years ES warranty in Canada. I live in Toronto. I ordered my SCDC-555ES from J&R under Keith's "instigation". J&R quoted me for US$ 570 shipped. I took the quote to the Sony store here wondering if they would match the price -- they wouldn't. They wanted to charge me Cdn$ 1700. There is no duty/tarif if you import electronics from US. you pay GST and PST (which you will pay even if you buy from Canada, anyway) plus $40 brokerage. Everything included I still came out a winner.
good luck.

Wei

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
Wei,

Just curious; what assurances do you have that Sony will honour the warrantee north of the boarder?

Thanks,
Martin.

wei

Auditioning
I called Sony Canada's customer service. The lady who answered the phone told me they will honour Sony's warranty even if you get the units from the states. You just have to keep your warranty card handy. When I talk to the sales rep from J&R he also told me if my unit goes wrong in the first month J&R will look after it. After then I need to deal with Sony. Here is the 800 number I got from Sony Canada's website:1-877-899-7669.

Good luck.

Wei

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Martin,
Double check with Sony Canada regarding warranty transfer for a component bought from a US retailer. Buying a Sony component in the UK for use in the US is different than buying one in the US for use in Canada. For one thing, the voltage is different in the US and UK, as I said. Furthermore, Sony offers many models that are available in the UK and not the US and vice versa. For these reasons, I am not surprised that Sony in the US will not honor the warranty for a UK component. However, there is no voltage difference between Canada and the US, and the components offered are often the same. The 'C222ES that J&R would ship is the same player that Sony Style in Canada would ship. If you can get confirmation from Sony Canada that you will have no warranty issues, I say go with the 'C222ES or 'C555ES from a US retailer.
Wei,
I have no doubt that someone at Sony Canada told you that a component bought from a US retailer would be covered under the warranty in Canada, but Martin should double check in case you got bad information. :)

Miles

Second Unit
I received my 670 today... found it for $199.99 as advertised. I've only been able to listen to a few CDs at low-to-moderate volumes and bits and pieces of Joe Satriani's "Engines of Creation" SACD (which I've had for more than a year now)...

Let me know if you have any questions,

Miles

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Miles, how do you like the 'XE670? What are you comparing it to? You said you have had the Satriani SACD for over a year. Do you have another SACD player?

Ken Leggatt

Stunt Coordinator
Received the 775 today and hooked it all up and set up the bass management. Sounds great with regular CD's compared to the Panasonic DVD-C220 changer that I have been using. Much better bass and soundstage. The player came with a Miles Davis SACD, a Kind of Blue. SACD sounds awesome. I have one question though, I had to crank the receiver to get any volume out of the SACD disc that I have, is this normal? I normally listen to redbook discs at about -30 on the dial of my 3801. I switched back and forth between the external inputs and the standard analogue inputs and the difference is like night and day. Where can I pick up some more contemporary discs? Is there a website listing new and upcoming releases on SACD?

Thanks,

Ken

Miles

Second Unit
Hey KeithH,

I've had the SACD for quite some time but never have heard it.... and sorry I don't really have anything to compare it to other than using my HTPC hooked via digitial coaxial to my cheaper Pioneer receiver or my Toshiba 2107 and 1600 DVD players through my cheap Pioneer receiver...

Other than that, the player sounds great!... I'll include my sig so you can see my speakers...

For $200 it's a worthwhile improvement for 2-channel audio.

Later,

Miles

PS Now we have to wait for better SACD software support :)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Miles, thanks for the info. Glad to hear you are happy with the 'XE670. Increased software support would be nice. That said, we should be seeing SACDs from the Rolling Stones, The Who, and Creedence Clearwater Revival soon. In addition, Sony is supposed to be releasing SACDs from Bruce Springsteen and Janis Joplin soon.

Kudret

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the heads up guys. FS has the 775 on sale for $239 (670 is $189). I picked up one this afternoon and I like it very much.:)
While listening to the Miles Davis SACD (Kind of Blue), I noticed a loud hiss with this SACD. Can anybody else confirm this. This is especially noticeable at the beginning of track 6 (starts at about 22-23 seconds). I don't have any other SACD to try to see if its the CD or something else. I don't have any problem with regular CDs.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Kudret, I hear strong hiss on the Kind of Blue SACD as well. It's inherent in the old analog recording.

Miles

Second Unit
KeithH,
I'm drooling over your collection of MFSL Gold CDs :)
I was only able to get one... Bob Marley's "Exodus"
Miles

Kudret

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Keith.

BTW, are there any sonic or other differences between 670 and 775 (other than 775 being a CD changer)?

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Miles,

Thanks for the compliment regarding the MFSL CDs. I bought some of them years ago, while I tracked down others sealed for a good amount of money after MFSL closed down.

Kudret,

I can't comment on the 'XE670 versus the 'CE775. I live in the US, and the 'XE670 isn't available here. Based on what I have read, the two players are very similar on the inside, except for the transport.

I finally decided to go ahead and buy the CE775. Got it at 239 at the Sony Store.
I got it all hooked up analog and optical to my RX-V1200. The sound is good for regular CDs.
I'm disapointed because I thought that a SACD would come with it in the box (Miles Davis ??). Well, I'll have to find one or two this weekend.
I got a couple of suprises regarding the features of that player. I was mainly looking at the CE575 (CD only) before and I thought that the CE775 was a CE575 + SACD. Wrong ! :frowning: The CE775 doesn't have time fade, delete bank... I don't thinak I would have used it but...
So, I'll let you know my impressions when I listen to a SACD !
Pat

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks