What's new

Sony SACD Player Discontinuations (1 Viewer)

AaronD

Stunt Coordinator
I took a little hiatus from the forum for a couple of months, but I'm back now... Any ways, I'm curious about Sony's state with their SACD players.

It seems to me that most of their stand-alone players are either now discontinued or are looking like they're going to be discontinued. With no new announcements from them, does anyone know what's going on? Do you think it's a little early to be discontinuing players if they were going to announce new ones @ CES?

Just a little curious...
-Aaron

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Aaron, I have no idea what is happening with Sony when it comes to audio-only SACD players. Sony has discontinued all the non-DVD SACD players marketed in the US except for the top-dog SCD-XA777ES. Thus, the 'CE775, 'C222ES, and 'C555ES have been discontinued, and no replacements have been announced as yet. Hopefully Sony will be offer replacements soon.

The only new SACD players coming down the pike from Sony will play DVDs. One is the DVP-NS999ES, which will replace the 'S9000ES. Also, Sony will be releasing two integrated DVD/SACD player-A/V receivers in the ES line. One will be a single-disc player and one will be a carousel changer. I believe the 'NS999ES and the two integrated components will be out by year's end.

AaronD

Stunt Coordinator
I guess this doesn't really instill me with faith in Sony's support of SACD. I think that stand alone players are a big part of SACD, and it's very odd for them to allow a big hole like this to exist in their product line. It doesn't fill me with warm fuzzies concerning the future of the SACD format. I sure hope it's not a sign of Sony being 'Sony'.

-Aaron

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Sony usually makes new product announcements at their CEDIA press conference. They have the past two years, and expect this year's conference to be no different.

Regards,

Charles Gurganus

Supporting Actor
I think Sony's best avenue to spread SACD is through DVD players. They will get much better market saturation that way. Of course they still should have a couple of stand alone SACD players in both the regular line (a decent single and a decent carosele model) and ES line.

AaronD

Stunt Coordinator
Charles,

I agree. Why not get penetration with DVD and CD players? The more the merrier IMHO.

John,

But don't you think it's strange that for now they aren't manufacturing anything to fill the void? Why not keep the existing products on the shelves until the new ones replace them?

-Aaron

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Aaron,

Perhaps they sold off their production runs quicker than anticipated, and are retooling for new product introductions / manufacturing.

I don't know the facts here, that was speculation in case you were wondering.

Sony's latest progressive scan entry at the $200 price point, the model escapes me at the moment (maybe the NS715P?) lacks SACD capability, while a variety of models from JVC, Panasonic and Toshiba offer DVD-Audio capability.

The battle will be fought and won (if there really is a battle) at this price point, not at the $500 and up price point.

Regards,

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
John, fair point about CEDIA. However, Sony has released many new products in the past couple of months, and many were announced in press releases. Examples include new DVD players (including the SACD-capable DVP-NS755V and 'NS999ES), A/V receivers (including two SACD-capable integrated components), CD recorders, and a CD megachanger.
For some reason, unfortunately, Sony has been very quiet with regards to replacement non-DVD SACD players. Perhaps this is just a good business decision on Sony's part (for a change! :D). Typically, a manufacturer lowers the prices of soon-to-be-discontinued items while already releasing a press announcements for replacements models. While many people scoop up the older models at bargain prices, others likely hold out to see what is on the horizon. These people probably figure that there will be an overlap period where both models will be available, which does happen. Perhaps Sony decided that by being mum about new models, in essence acting as if there are no new models coming, it will be better able to sell off its remaining inventory of older models. Sony already did itself a favor by dropping prices on the 'CE775, 'C222ES, and 'C555ES. Oh well. We'll see what happens.
By the way, the $200 Sony progressive-scan non-SACD-capable DVD player you are referring to is the DVP-NS715P. ;)

Kevin Deacon

Second Unit
It really is a drag when the pre/pro you want/need is not shipping because of defects and the SACD player you want/need is discontinued without a replacement. Is somebody trying to tell me something? Come on, I've got money to spend!!!

AaronD

Stunt Coordinator
John:
I agree completely with regards to the price points. It will be fought there, and DVD-A will use low end DVD players as it's ammunition. I think Sony should do the same thing, and use as many DVD models as it can to proliferate the SACD format. However, I think that it should also use CD players to help with acceptance. What if as many low end CD players, changers, carousels, etc were available as DVD players? I think it's beneficial to sell to the people who aren't shopping specifically for the SACD format but rather CD or DVD. Later, to their pleasant surprise they discover they've got a new world of high resolution audio at their finger tips. I'll be very sad if Sony doesn't push SACD in the low end CD market as well.
KeithH:
I hope your notions are correct, I love SACD and would hate to see Sony start to stumble.
Kevin:
I'd like to have your problem, people seem too willing to take my money. :)
-Aaron

Dzung Pham

Second Unit
Although perhaps discontuned, the SCD-C555ES still seems to be in stock at J&R Music World. My local B&M stores also seem to have units. This may be a good time to pick them up before they are gone.

Users who are viewing this thread